WWE and NJPW Reportedly in "Talks"

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
lionmark_2.jpg

source: f4wonline.com
WWE president Nick Khan has been in talks with New Japan Pro Wrestling about WWE becoming NJPW's exclusive American partner.

Dave Meltzer reported in this week's Wrestling Observer Newsletter that talks regarding the potential partnership date back to March or early April, but there's no indication where the discussions are currently at. If talks go anywhere, the deal would include WWE sending talent, including top stars, to work in NJPW.

NJPW has normally worked with Ring of Honor as their American partner. During the pandemic, however, NJPW has also formed relationships with All Elite Wrestling and Impact Wrestling. Yuji Nagata appeared earlier this month on AEW Dynamite and Satoshi Kojima appeared on this week’s episode of Impact Wrestling.

Meltzer wrote the following:
In what could end up being among the biggest wrestling stories of the year, or a non-story, depending on the end result, Nick Khan has been in talks with New Japan Pro Wrestling about WWE being the exclusive American partner with the promotion. Right now New Japan has been working with AEW (KENTA, Yuji Nagata, Rocky Romero and Ren Narita plus Jon Moxley working New Japan Strong) and Impact (Juice Robinson, David Finlay, El Phantasmo and Satoshi Kojima) and has had a relationship with CMLL and ROH, but things have slowed down with those companies since COVID.

Obviously there are a million questions regarding such a deal if it was to happen, and there are no indications where talks are at past they date back to late March or early April. But it would include WWE sending talent and WWE top stars being allowed to work in New Japan if talks go anywhere. With Khan, the former isolationist attitude of WWE vs. everyone is changing with the idea WWE is part of the wrestling landscape and not separate from the pro wrestling landscape. Obviously it’s also to keep New Japan, which pre-pandemic was the third strongest company in the world, away from working with other companies which could strengthen the opposition and also be a factor with WWE gunning for the same talent as other companies because there is a percentage of younger talent that grew up on watching New Japan either via tape or YouTube where working there is a much bigger part of their career goals than the prior generation, and AEW talent has been willing to allow its talent to work outside its walls and Impact would allow talent to work with other promotions.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
I love how they've always gotta throw the lines in about the motive being to sabotage other companies.

NJPW wanted traction in the west, you start a working relationship with the biggest wrestling company there is. WWE wanted a foothold in Japan as we heard with them trying to get Stardom? so you partner up with the biggest company in Japan.

CakeWalker

Fancy a slice?
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
TigerMask1
Favorite Wrestler
AZs1Z5p
Favorite Wrestler
E3RY3ej
Favorite Sports Team
2fIlV8l
Favorite Sports Team
Stewart52
Favorite Sports Team
Brad6
Favorite Sports Team
OH6F0Jl
As a NJPW fan before anything else, this is not good news for the whole idea of what NJ is - if an exclusivity deal goes threw.
Especially for the lesser product NJPW Strong, which will effectively be dead in the water or become effectively NXT Japan if NJ agree to not use any talent not signed to any other promotion. I hope this doesn't go through at all.

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
I love how they've always gotta throw the lines in about the motive being to sabotage other companies.

NJPW wanted traction in the west, you start a working relationship with the biggest wrestling company there is. WWE wanted a foothold in Japan as we heard with them trying to get Stardom? so you partner up with the biggest company in Japan.
Well, WWE haven't NOT tried to suppress potential competitors in the past. :lol

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
As a NJPW fan before anything else, this is not good news for the whole idea of what NJ is - if an exclusivity deal goes threw.
Especially for the lesser product NJPW Strong, which will effectively be dead in the water or become effectively NXT Japan if NJ agree to not use any talent not signed to any other promotion. I hope this doesn't go through at all.
You said NJPW Strong was trash and made fun of me for watching it :francis

CakeWalker

Fancy a slice?
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
TigerMask1
Favorite Wrestler
AZs1Z5p
Favorite Wrestler
E3RY3ej
Favorite Sports Team
2fIlV8l
Favorite Sports Team
Stewart52
Favorite Sports Team
Brad6
Favorite Sports Team
OH6F0Jl
You said NJPW Strong was trash and made fun of me for watching it :francis

At the time I made that comment - it was pretty trash. But I do respect what they are doing with the brand.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Well, WWE haven't NOT tried to suppress potential competitors in the past. :lol
I know but it's just funny that's the narrative Meltzer unsurprisingly wants to run with and not about both companies wanting to expand in each others region.

Reactions: Deezy

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
I know but it's just funny that's the narrative Meltzer unsurprisingly wants to run with and not about both companies wanting to expand in each others region.

exclusive business partner = leaving others out. Not sure how Dave is spinning anything here, it's right in the article, and it's a logical conclusion that one of the reasons would be to hurt competition, come on man :heston

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
I feel like Gedo's been booking more and more like WWE lately tbh :slip: almost feels natural.

Reactions: Hoss

Marty McFourth

Trying to figure out this life thing, what about you
Reaction score
Imagine Survior Series with NJPW talent involved :banderas:

Reactions: Chris

Marty McFourth

Trying to figure out this life thing, what about you
Reaction score
Also, I'm not sure if it'd ever happen but seeing Roman in NJPW would be fucking insane. Imagine him working with some of the top talents over there.

Reactions: Chris

CakeWalker

Fancy a slice?
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
TigerMask1
Favorite Wrestler
AZs1Z5p
Favorite Wrestler
E3RY3ej
Favorite Sports Team
2fIlV8l
Favorite Sports Team
Stewart52
Favorite Sports Team
Brad6
Favorite Sports Team
OH6F0Jl
Also, I'm not sure if it'd ever happen but seeing Roman in NJPW would be fucking insane. Imagine him working with some of the top talents over there.

I'd rather eat Cathedral city cheddar

• Haha
Reactions: Marty McFourth

Hidden Blaze

The Wanted Man
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
MOLAnG4
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
homd3TG
Favorite Sports Team
gLxCq87
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
lurU13l
Favorite Sports Team
HHst8yg
I mainly don’t want it because “exclusive.” If NJPW was free to still work with Impact and AEW, I be cool with it. But this makes me honestly not want it.

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
I'd just rather see WWE up their own game first and foremost before I'd really be super into this potential partnership. I'm not gonna skip something like Ibushi vs. Rollins or Ishii vs. Sheamus tho.

Reactions: Hidden Blaze