WWE and NBCU fail to meet agreement

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Crayo

The Boss
Reaction score
Website
wweforums.net
As PWMania.com, NBC Universal’s exclusive negotiating period with WWE expired last Friday. WWE and NBCU were unable to reach a deal. WWE will now shop their programming to other networks. WWE could still sign a deal with NBCU as NBCU has the right to match any offer that WWE receives from other networks. RAW and SmackDown will continue to air on USA and Syfy until September 30th, regardless of who WWE goes with. WWE issued the following statement:

“WWE’s exclusive negotiating period with NBCU for our flagship television programs, Raw and SmackDown, has now expired. While we were unable to reach an agreement with NBCU during this period, we have certainly appreciated our long and productive partnership. With year-round, live programming that is highly coveted by programmers, distributors and advertisers, we are extremely excited about our future. We look forward to engaging with potential partners who recognize the value of having the No. 1 show on cable and live content delivered 52 weeks a year.”

Read more: http://www.pwmania.com/wwe-and-nbc-...-tv-rights-wwe-issues-statement#ixzz2thiQ9qwZ

ShaRpY HaRdY

Main Event Mafia
Reaction score
I'm still thinking it will end up with NBCU when all is said in done.
Thanks for posting this though, I hadn't found anything prior to seeing this :)

Reactions: Wacokid27

Dolph'sZiggler

Biggest self-mark since Bret Hart
Reaction score
I'm still thinking it will end up with NBCU when all is said in done.
Thanks for posting this though, I hadn't found anything prior to seeing this :)
you don't have to thank this jabroni. just spit at his feet and remind him to not make eye contact

Stopspot

Now I’m a big, fat dynamo!
Reaction score
If Court Bauer is to be believed the only real competitor for NBCU right now is Fox Sports 1, with Viacom showing interest as well according to the great Meltzini, da dirtsheet genie.

Dolph'sZiggler

Biggest self-mark since Bret Hart
Reaction score
If Court Bauer is to be believed the only real competitor for NBCU right now is Fox Sports 1, with Viacom showing interest as well according to the great Meltzini, da dirtsheet genie.
Yay, I speculated Fox Sports 1 days ago! Dolph'sLockard!#

VIacom though, they have TFA already. dramaaaaaaaaaaaa

ShaRpY HaRdY

Main Event Mafia
Reaction score
I was doing some more reading about this and it seems that WWE is actually shopping around "Saturday Morning Slam" in addition to RAW, Smackdown, Main Event, Total Divas.. Now if I'm not mistaken they stopped doing the SMS last year, do you think this means they're planning on bringing it back even if they go back to NBCU?

Wacokid27

The Dark Master
Reaction score
The lack of a deal makes me wonder what was the sticking point between NBCU and WWE.

It also makes me wonder if Fox will have the same response or is it something that just NBC doesn't like.

wk

Snowman1

Chillin' with the snowmies.
Reaction score
Bad move by NBCU. Am not sure just how much demand the stations have for WWE programming (or how much it would tarnish Fox Sports 1's image, sadly) but from what I've read the networks LOVE it because it's appointment viewing that "is better watched live" (disagree, but still). Surely they could have locked up WWE for cheaper if they would have met on an agreement by now, right? How silly of them to let this free agent hit the open market.

Besides, Smackdown was a perfect fit for your shitty NBC Sports Network. Every single time I turn it on they're showing fishing. Smackdown ratings > fishing.

Stopspot

Now I’m a big, fat dynamo!
Reaction score
Bad move by NBCU. Am not sure just how much demand the stations have for WWE programming (or how much it would tarnish Fox Sports 1's image, sadly) but from what I've read the networks LOVE it because it's appointment viewing that "is better watched live" (disagree, but still). Surely they could have locked up WWE for cheaper if they would have met on an agreement by now, right? How silly of them to let this free agent hit the open market.

Besides, Smackdown was a perfect fit for your shitty NBC Sports Network. Every single time I turn it on they're showing fishing. Smackdown ratings > fishing.
WWE is the hottest sports commodity next to the NFL according to Forbes, it's also the highest drawing shows on both USA and Syfy and the only TV show that goes head to head with MNF and isn't completely embarrassed in the ratings. It's something good to have on your network definitely.

Wacokid27

The Dark Master
Reaction score
WWE is the hottest sports commodity next to the NFL according to Forbes, it's also the highest drawing shows on both USA and Syfy and the only TV show that goes head to head with MNF and isn't completely embarrassed in the ratings. It's something good to have on your network definitely.

To build off of that, Raw is consistently the highest-rated cable television show every week and number two isn't even close (in fact, since Smackdown moved to Syfy, I'm pretty sure Smackdown has been number two).

I doubt that Fox Sports is concerned about their brand being hurt by airing WWE television. I mean, it was a Fox entity that put Glenn Beck on the air for years.

wk

Reactions: Snowman1

Snowman1

Reaction score
Tried to word that post specifically for Stop + Waco + Lockard to make really smart posts. 2/3 isn't bad.

Thanks, guys.

Snowman1

Reaction score
Can she go through the locker room saying "You get a car! And you get a car! And you get a car!"
Everyone gets a car, but the Uso's have to work for their keys since their dad did that thing with Austin so long ago...

Then we can have the first ever "Everyone paints everyone else's car backstage at the same time" segment and get a big brawl.

Wacokid27

The Dark Master
Reaction score
Can she go through the locker room saying "You get a car! And you get a car! And you get a car!"
Everyone gets a car, but the Uso's have to work for their keys since their dad did that thing with Austin so long ago...

Then we can have the first ever "Everyone paints everyone else's car backstage at the same time" segment and get a big brawl.

Booking skills.....you have them.

WWE, hire this man!

wk