Wrestlers were like Rockstars...

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Mr. Roman Empire

The Game
Main Eventer
Reaction score
I think its harder for wrestlers to get over today like how they used to because the business is too corporate. Wrestlers in the past were like Rockstars, whether it be on-screen, off-screen, or both. The wrestling business used to be similar to rock n roll and the music business.

These guys were touring the world. You had alot of sex and partying, and the internet wasnt a factor. Wrestlers had the lifestyle of Rockstars. They were larger than life and people idolized them. Now everything is so soft, there is no danger in anyone.

Most westlers today are all kind of a bunch of dorks. They all seem to either be pretty settled down with families or they are like nerdy jocks who watch a lot of anime and play video games.

And i am not bashing that, in a lot of ways its good that wrestlers don't live such a wild, often times dangerous lifestyle. But when it comes to being looked at by the masses, there isnt much there in these wrestlers persona's that make them seem like badasses.

No one has gotten over more than Cena, and that was at the tail end of the post-Attitude era and before the PG-Corporate era. I dont think anyone in wrestling will ever reach that level because the business model of wrestling has changed to where their stars have to have this sort of clean image. The same lifestyle chaos isnt there and i think that hurts creativity. Wrestlers are artist, and that the lifestyle of an artist will be reflected in their work.

The music industry in ways has changed, where Rockstars arent much of a thing (at least musician's who play rock) and it has shifted more towards rappers, DJ's, and pop singers.
But there is still that celebrity threshold that wrestlers used to cross but i feel like that may no longer be possible because the system no longer creates personalities like that organically.

Last edited:

Redboy123@

Reaction score
Its definitely harder because the curtain is wide open. Fans talk exclusively out of kayfabe. Fans watch wrestling out of kayfabe. Fans view wrestlers out of kayfabe.

So its pretty hard

Mr. Roman Empire

The Game
Main Eventer
Reaction score
Its definitely harder because the curtain is wide open. Fans talk exclusively out of kayfabe. Fans watch wrestling out of kayfabe. Fans view wrestlers out of kayfabe.

So its pretty hard

The end Kayfabe definitely removed the magic from wrestling. I think social media exposes wrestlers too much and all the wrestlers seem pretty boring outside the ring. Dont get me wrong, they all seem like great people who work hard and are successful. But theres no edge to anyone anymore. They are no longer renegades. Everyone is too proper and polite and dont have much of a choice because they are apart of a corporate machine that must maintain a reasonably responsible image.

Redboy123@

Reaction score
The end Kayfabe definitely removed the magic from wrestling. I think social media exposes wrestlers too much and all the wrestlers seem pretty boring outside the ring. Dont get me wrong, they all seem like great people who work hard and are successful. But theres no edge to anyone anymore. They are no longer renegades. Everyone is too proper and polite and dont have much of a choice because they are apart of a corporate machine that must maintain a reasonably responsible image.
I would definitely enforce strict kayfabe amongst the lockeroom if I was in charge. Would be so much better. Fans would take wrestling alot more seriously

The Sheik

The Architect
Technician
Reaction score
Technically they still travel the world and have a lot of sex and partying.. but nobody takes them seriously anymore..

Some people on this forum seem more important and larger than life than these Goddamn wrestlers.

• Haha
Reactions: Grievous 3D

Grievous 3D

Is Currently In Stasis
Banned
Reaction score
I think its harder for wrestlers to get over today like how they used to because the business is too corporate. Wrestlers in the past were like Rockstars, whether it be on-screen, off-screen, or both. The wrestling business used to be similar to rock n roll and the music business.

These guys were touring the world. You had alot of sex and partying, and the internet wasnt a factor. Wrestlers had the lifestyle of Rockstars. They were larger than life and people idolized them. Now everything is so soft, there is no danger in anyone.

Most westlers today are all kind of a bunch of dorks. They all seem to either be pretty settled down with families or they are like nerdy jocks who watch a lot of anime and play video games.

And i am not bashing that, in a lot of ways its good that wrestlers don't live such a wild, often times dangerous lifestyle. But when it comes to being looked at by the masses, there isnt much there in these wrestlers persona's that make them seem like badasses.

No one has gotten over more than Cena, and that was at the tail end of the post-Attitude era and before the PG-Corporate era. I dont think anyone in wrestling will ever reach that level because the business model of wrestling has changed to where their stars have to have this sort of clean image. The same lifestyle chaos isnt there and i think that hurts creativity. Wrestlers are artist, and that the lifestyle of an artist will be reflected in their work.

The music industry in ways has changed, where Rockstars arent much of a thing (at least musician's who play rock) and it has shifted more towards rappers, DJ's, and pop singers.
But there is still that celebrity threshold that wrestlers used to cross but i feel like that may no longer be possible because the system no longer creates personalities like that organically.
So I have a question...and you'll forgive me if I get straight to the point...
but...did you actually write this?

I only ask because it does not "match" any of your previous posts that
I've seen on here....in terms of structure & content.

I'm not trying to start a fight or anything...but I have to admit I am curious.