Wrestler Rating Series #8 - Triple H

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

How would you rate HHH as an overall wrestler on a scale 1-10?

Results are only viewable after voting.

white crow

The Serbian Butcher
Hotshot
Reaction score
giphy.gif

I have huge respect for Hunter when it comes to wrestling abilities and accomplishments. I say for wrestling because I highly dislike him as a person, he was burrying everybody back in a day and is a real dickhead outside of character. But, fuck it, this thing in either way isn't including that.

Looking at the in-ring skills Triple H is way above other guys that were pushed as much as he was. He's significantly better than Orton per example. In wrestling knowledge he is a walking encyclopedia, can do basically everything but the script gives him simple moves instead. Hunter is very very good in the squared circle, even though most of the time it doesn't look like that. Skilled but given the moves that fitted his persona better. His moveset is kind of too simple and ordinary, it is interesting most of the time though and I guess that's because he knows how to perform everything adequately and is intense. Old school aggression and speed is one of the main characteristics of his in-ring work, and I don't know about you, but in my opinion that is almost categorically a good thing. He can always put on a nice match and it doesn't look good solely because of his charisma, he's pretty interesting to watch compared to some other heavyweights.

His non-wrestling abilities are mostly on a higher level than his in-ring work. He is the kind of a guy every promotion wishes for a main-eventer, perfectly connected with the crowd and good both as a heel and a face. For a guy of his size, he really does have a perfect presence that basically matches with his persona and every gimmick. The fact is that even when he held WHC title hostage for more than a year or something, most of the people in the crowd supported his push, marks or not. When someone is quite overrated by general wrestling standards and most of the crowd still likes him, it does kinda tell you that person is good in a position of megastar. I'm also a fan of most of his gimmicks, there kind of weren't any that were boring. Hunter Hearest Helmsley gimmick was a pretty good looking character for a newbie, and everything after that was better. Hunter's mic skills were also pretty damn good and it was obvious back in the day that he had some mean acting skills. Some of the best promos of Ruthless Agression era are his.

Appropriate grade in my opinion would be 9/10. Unlike Orton this is a little bit stronger 9. He's probably somewhere in the top 25 more for the other things than the in-ring ability.
Tell us what you think about HHH and feel free to cast a vote in the poll.

Deadmanforever97

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker2
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
kurtangle
Favorite Wrestler
oAYiXZo
Favorite Wrestler
bookert
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
Aed870G
Even though he has a bad rep of putting people over. He has still made his name in The WWE as The Game.

Before he was The Game I really didn't care for him. But afterwards he was great.

I gave him an 8

Grievous 3D

Is Currently In Stasis
Banned
Reaction score
I like Triple H...

HOWEVER...

Booker T should have won at Wrestlemania 19 & I think the current WWE product could do without
the generally slow & boring 25+ minute Triple H vs. *Insert Name Here* matches at Wrestlemania.

Much like the Undertaker & Kane...I respect Triple H...I just don't think he should be wrestling anymore.

white crow

The Serbian Butcher
Hotshot
Reaction score
There was no reason for them to not make Booker win at Wrestlemania. Plus those promos before that were racist as fuck

Reactions: Mustafar Reginald

white crow

The Serbian Butcher
Hotshot
Reaction score
Reccomend everyone who isn't familiar with this story to watch that vid, journalism on point.

Doxo

Moist Nephew
Reaction score
Did he bury people? Yes
Was he on top for stupidly long? Yes
But was he really freaking good? Yes

Triple H has everything, the look, the presence, the moves, the charisma. He's one of the best out there. His attitude, a bit lacking, but I didn't hold back CM Punk for that, so I'm not holding back H.

10/10

Reactions: edge4ever

bullyballmm

babeball
Main Eventer
Reaction score
Not going to get into the burying, politics, and his redemption arc with NXT

6/10

Now tbf I haven't seen much of HHH before 2009 so maybe I would have rated him higher if I did (then again he did have a "reign of terror" so probably not). HHH has a presence about him in the ring but he is not as technically skilled as guy's like Orton. Has HHH ever gone to the top rope? He is a bruiser

Some of his promos are boring af too. Then again that may just be due to the storyline he is in at the time.

Pretty much every match I have seen him in I would consider a 3 star match.

He can't carry a match. The fact that Shawn Michaels and Kane had to make that match at Crown Jewel good even though HHH and Taker are the bigger stars is telling.

edge4ever

The Game
Technician
Reaction score
9/10

Sure, he was handed things in the beginning, to a degree, but he took the ball and ran with it, and has only earned everything time and time again.

He takes feuds and escalates them. He can work with anyone, big or small, and always gets a strong reaction whether he’s heel or face. He can be strong, quick, and technical. I also love the pedigree. Something about when he hits that thing perfect is awesome every time.

Despite him “burying” some stars (which I feel some of that is bs), he always keeps the standard high in the ring, the mic, and everything in between.

There are very few wrestlers on the planet who can play a face or heel perfectly
And triple h is one of those guys.

Reactions: Doxo and white crow

white crow

The Serbian Butcher
Hotshot
Reaction score
9/10

Sure, he was handed things in the beginning, to a degree, but he took the ball and ran with it and had only earned everything time and time again.

He takes feuds and escalates them. He can work with anyone, big or small, and always gets a strong reaction whether he’s heel or face. He be strong, quick, and technical. I also love the pedigree. Something about when he hits that thing perfect is awesome every time.

Despite him “burying” some stars (which I feel some of that is bs), he always keeps the standard high in the ring, the mic, and everything in between.

There are very few wrestlers on the planet who can play a face or heel perfectly
And triple h is one of those guys.
Looks like we agree on all the things except mr. Randal Keith Orton xd. Yesterday Seth and now Hunter

Reactions: edge4ever

DualShock

Jobber
Reaction score
A mediocre wrestler who is an opportunist who was at the right place at the right time and was surrounded by the right people. Just like Jeff Jarrett, a blonde midcarder who became a main eventer and champion by having the right friends in charge (Triple H = Kliq, Jarrett = Russo in WCW) and when owning a company (Jarrett = TNA, Triple H = marrying a McMahon).
The guy who liked masculine women and one day he found out he likes women who are skinnier and smaller, for some reason (shocker) the first woman who looked like that was the daughter of the boss.
He tries to make his rise to the top look like one of these great Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels stories (part of a tag team, single wrestler, fulfillled their dream by finally winning the title) by telling how he was part of DX and how in 1999 it was finally time to go his own way and become champion when in reality he left one stable and joined the other (Corporation/Corporate Ministry).
His whole career he was part of a stable or had a manager, mostly people who were more over than him.
He calls himself a general and the modern day Ric Flair and Harley Race but he never had a memorable match that didn't include blood, weapons and stipulations. Flair and Race had bloody matches too but also classics that made them great and what they are.
Even with part timers like Goldberg, Undertaker or Lesnar, there are some signs (fan reactions, fan signs, DLCs) where WWE can see if it's worth to bring them back, Triple H doesn't need momentum at all, he just sits in his office, looks at the calendar to check if it's WrestleMania season and then he books himself with a badass entrance and nobody of course will try to stop their boss.
Even as the "new Vince", there is nothing creative, risqy or new what he does, no different than a regular football manager.

The lowest rating for a wrestler that doesn't look like the Great Khali and El Gigante. 4/10 and that's only high because he wrestles like a solid midcarder.

Mustafar Reginald

The Lunatic Fringe
Reaction score
4/10, never wrestled a good match without a gimmick. /brethart

But seriously, probably an 8/10. Could be a 9/10, just ask me on a different day. Much like Orton, I find HHH can be really boring. In fact, he owns the special privilege of being one of the only wrestlers to ever put me to sleep. His Hell in a Cell match with Kevin Nash actually put me to sleep, I've never seen the full match there's about five minutes I dozed off for because of how bad that was. But, I do blame that more on Nash, however then I think to WrestleMania and how often I don't care for HHH matches. His recent one with Batista I loved, but prior to that everything after XXVIII I thought was at best, overly long but kinda I guess decent (Rollins), and at worst, one of the worst matches I've ever seen (the Lesnar & Sting ones). And he doesn't have a great track record prior to the first two Taker encounters, I found his main events with Cena and Batista to be [figurative this time] snoozefests (making it the only Tista/Trips match I've seen that I didn't love), I don't care much for the first Taker match, and this is kinda consistent with my feelings on HHH as a whole. There's just too much times where I find his matches don't deliver for me, and in a lot of circumstances I do blame his opponent more than him I guess, like I found the match with Austin at No Mercy I believe to be dull and a chore to sit through but I think that's more on Austin. But for more positives, I love his series of matches with Shawn, I love his Mania bout with Taker at XXVII and XXVIII a lot, I love how he managed to tie a signature weapon to his character because that inherent makes his hardcore type matches more rewarding. His entrance is fantastic in terms of iconography. Promos can sometimes drag but usually he's top notch there. His moveset is pretty solid, I love his Spinebuster, the jumping high knee, the Pedigree. And I have a lot of fond memories of the Summer of DX back in 06 when I started watching though I'm pretty sure nowadays I'd side with the online consensus of that being trash.