Wrestler Rating Series #13 - John "Bradshaw" Layfield

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

How would you rate JBL as an overall wrestler on a scale 1-10?

Results are only viewable after voting.

white crow

The Serbian Butcher
Hotshot
Reaction score
acfbb371b3795c4f-600x338.png

Wrestling God! Another one of very old school wrestlers which had mixed reactions by the wrestling fans in deciding how they really feel about him.

In-ring skills are average in this one, maybe just a little bit better. He didn't have an overall fun moveset, but compared to other powerhouses it was good. He really had a few 5 star matches during the Ruthless Aggresion era, and that's a big thing considering how many class A wrestlers were up there. His grappling skills are really good actually, he wasn't near being the best one in that during his era but that's one thing he had that is above average. Technique skills terrible, just like other guys of his size, like expected. He wasn't a bad striker though, he had his moments when he knew who to sell them really good. When we talk about the Clothesline From Hell, you may think that it's a boring ass move for a finisher, but not really. As simple as it was he was doing it borderline perfectly and it suited his character well. Other moves of his were pretty powerhouse generic with a lot of heel dirty moves, and I didn't mind seeing any of that as he compensated with his character work and gimmicks, but even generally he was a really good powerhouse. Powerhouses are usually boring but at least he was one of the guys that did them well.

Which really and pretty much solely makes this guy a great wrestler is being a heel and having a revolutionary character work. As I said, he really compensated in this way for his average in-ring skills. Have you ever seen a heel in 2010s that got that much hate and boos from the crowd?(Roman doesn't count) I bet not. He was just a textbook example of a perfect heel, no mixed reactions, no bullshit, just pure hate and boos. Bradshaw wasn't a stranger to being a dick even in real life and I guess that contributed a lot. There were just times where every single person in the venue hated his guts. That's 10/10 heel ability in my opinion, far best bad guy character of this century. And now, I said his character work was revolutionary, and that really is a correct word. No-one really ever played a dick rich man from the Wall Street in a suit before, not that I remember. And that persona just makes you think he's a some kind of a Hans Gruber, eloquent, well dressed and violent, the man that doesn't hide his negative feelings and intentions. Defintely one of the most underrated characters of 2000s, it really made Smackdown a lot more interesting place. His charisma is also great, and by that I mostly refer to proper crowd reactions to a heel wrestler, you don't really need much more to know that he was really charismatic. Mic skills also on point, perfect suit for his character and behavior. He was shitty at being a face but considering the opposite ability he didn't need anything better at all. Presence could be better but it's still not bad, enough to satisfie his quality considering other non-wrestling factors.

I would rate him a strong 7/10. In-ring it's a 5, and everything else is extraordinary good so 2 points up. The best heel of the century so far, had very good and creative persona so that wraps it. He wasn't a Wrestling God at all, but I'm happy to give him the title of the Heel God.

Tell us how would you rate JBL and why. Also, cast a vote in the poll if you'd like.

bullyballmm

babeball
Main Eventer
Reaction score
I don't care about his political views. I don't care about his backstage bullying. All I care about is his performance - he was great in APA, great as the heel JBL character, I liked him as a commentator (everybody memes his stats and stuff like "Big Match John" and "Orton being the wrestler you get when you build one from the ground up", but I think they became memes because they are memorable and, quite frankly, true).

He has a strong power moveset. One of the best clotheslines in the biz.

Not sure whether to give him a 7 or 8... I'll give him a 7 because he wasn't technically sound in the ring and I like my wrestlers, even the big guys, to be good at that.

No-one really ever played a dick rich man from the Wall Street in a suit before, not that I remember.

Well there was the Million Dollar Man Ted DiBiase, but I think his persona was that he was from "Old Money". Whereas JBL was "New Money" in that he made his fortune in Wall Street.

edge4ever

The Game
Technician
Reaction score
8/10.

Great heel. Good wrestler. Strong as hell on the mic. Love to hate this guy. He could do no wrong when it came to being the bad guy.

The time he got booed On Raw after being drafted and just kept standing standing there and raising his arm every once and a while and pyro kept going off... fucking Golden.

Grievous 3D

Is Currently In Stasis
Banned
Reaction score
I honestly can't comment on this one as I missed the most important
part of his career. When I first left wrestling he was just Bradshaw of
the APA & while he never really did "anything" of note during that time...
I did like the character he portrayed.

Then I left wrestling for many, MANY years only to come back and read
(& Hear) about the JBL character...and I have to admit...it appears it
worked out pretty well for the guy.

Although I have to be honest & say I find his commentary pretty bad...
and whenever I hear his name all I can think about is:

"IT'S JOHN O'CLOCK!!!"

& *Sings*

"JBL likes big muscly women! JBL likes big muscly women!"

Its funny because in a lot of ways JBL reminds me of Luke Harper...

A guy who has basically been confined to the tag division for years...
but clearly has enough talent to be a serious force on his own.

I doubt Luke Harper will get the same character reset/push JBL was
given however.

Reactions: bullyballmm

white crow

The Serbian Butcher
Hotshot
Reaction score
Wrestling God! Another one of very old school wrestlers which had mixed reactions by the wrestling fans in deciding how they really feel about him.

In-ring skills are average in this one, maybe just a little bit better. He didn't have an overall fun moveset, but compared to other powerhouses it was good. He really had a few 5 star matches during the Ruthless Aggresion era, and that's a big thing considering how many class A wrestlers were up there. His grappling skills are really good actually, he wasn't near being the best one in that during his era but that's one thing he had that is above average. Technique skills terrible, just like other guys of his size, like expected. He wasn't a bad striker though, he had his moments when he knew who to sell them really good. When we talk about the Clothesline From Hell, you may think that it's a boring ass move for a finisher, but not really. As simple as it was he was doing it borderline perfectly and it suited his character well. Other moves of his were pretty powerhouse generic with a lot of heel dirty moves, and I didn't mind seeing any of that as he compensated with his character work and gimmicks, but even generally he was a really good powerhouse. Powerhouses are usually boring but at least he was one of the guys that did them well.

Which really and pretty much solely makes this guy a great wrestler is being a heel and having a revolutionary character work. As I said, he really compensated in this way for his average in-ring skills. Have you ever seen a heel in 2010s that got that much hate and boos from the crowd?(Roman doesn't count) I bet not. He was just a textbook example of a perfect heel, no mixed reactions, no bullshit, just pure hate and boos. Bradshaw wasn't a stranger to being a dick even in real life and I guess that contributed a lot. There were just times where every single person in the venue hated his guts. That's 10/10 heel ability in my opinion, far best bad guy character of this century. And now, I said his character work was revolutionary, and that really is a correct word. No-one really ever played a dick rich man from the Wall Street in a suit before, not that I remember. And that persona just makes you think he's a some kind of a Hans Gruber, eloquent, well dressed and violent, the man that doesn't hide his negative feelings and intentions. Defintely one of the most underrated characters of 2000s, it really made Smackdown a lot more interesting place. His charisma is also great, and by that I mostly refer to proper crowd reactions to a heel wrestler, you don't really need much more to know that he was really charismatic. Mic skills also on point, perfect suit for his character and behavior. He was shitty at being a face but considering the opposite ability he didn't need anything better at all. Presence could be better but it's still not bad, enough to satisfie his quality considering other non-wrestling factors.

I would rate him a strong 7/10. In-ring it's a 5, and everything else is extraordinary good so 2 points up. The best heel of the century so far, had very good and creative persona so that wraps it. He wasn't a Wrestling God at all, but I'm happy to give him the title of the Heel God.

Tell us how would you rate JBL and why. Also, cast a vote in the poll if you'd like.
Well there was the Million Dollar Man Ted DiBiase, but I think his persona was that he was from "Old Money". Whereas JBL was "New Money" in that he made his fortune in Wall Street.
Funny thing is I was actually thinking about DiBiase when I wrote that line. They were quite similar, but again visibly different in many ways. JBL surpassed him in character work pretty much in a few months of introduction of heel JBL.

Reactions: bullyballmm