Would this be legal?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

dstebbins

Reaction score
Vince McMahon receives a lot of criticism for exempting his main event stars from the WWE Wellness Policy. He does this because firing or suspending these top guys would hurt the product, but what if he were to fine them instead of suspend or fire them?

I know that would be legal, so that's not what I'm asking. But suppose he eventually fined them so much that their paychecks were less than minimum wage, and eventually, it could go down to nothing, but the wrestler is still obligated to work due to the contract, and further still, if they still refuse to clean up their act, their salary drops into the negatives!

Would that be legal? Could Vince get away with that (assuming he used no cheap tactics like bribing the jury or anything)?

wwe_fanatic

Reaction score
But suppose he eventually fined them so much that their paychecks were less than minimum wage, and eventually, it could go down to nothing, but the wrestler is still obligated to work due to the contract, and further still, if they still refuse to clean up their act, their salary drops into the negatives
They could just quit.

Truth

Reaction score
Well this will never happen, but the wrestler would just clean up his act after a little while, and if he didnt he would just no continue to no show and eventually quit.

dstebbins

Reaction score
They could just quit.

And what if it was in their contract that they had to pay a fine of about $10,000,000 to quit, like a cancellation fee for a cell phone plan? If they defaulted on the contract without paying the fine, they could be sued for the fine.

Or even if there was no fine they had to pay, Vince could always sue them for breach of contract (which, btw, is a felony) and take their entire life savings.

Eh?

JJdaBuckeye

Reaction score
who the fuck would be fined that much that they get all thier money taken away. if so, then WWE an Vince wouldnt be able to fine them forever, because there is probably something in their contract about that. and if WWE kept fining them, people would notice that they arent doing anything about the drugs and that the wrestler is still taking

humankiller99

Reaction score
they'll prob quit and either go to TNA, ROH or Japan.

but going to TNA or any indy promotion could be a step back for them.. who knows.

imagine HHH in TNA? Can u say ratings over 4?

Y2Jasmine

Reaction score
I think all the big stars have an obligation to follow the wellness policy no matter what position they are in on the card. Fines might work in some cases but if they don't I think they should be suspended without pay until the time that they can comply with the wellness policy. If they go broke, then oh well, they are adults and there should be consequences even if you're a WWE superstar.

So to answer your question, would it be legal to fine them into bankruptcy? I think it should never be allowed to get that far. One time, they should get like a $10,000 fine. Second time it should be $50,000 with mandatory rehab and twice a week testing. Third time a 6 month suspension without pay and then be back, but on a probationary period with continuing random drug tests. After that no matter how big of a star they are, they need to get on. By not sticking to the wellness policy they put themselves and others at risk and the wrestling business has enough high risks without added factors. That's just me but I wouldn't want my safety placed in the hands of somebody all hyped up on 'roids.

dstebbins

Reaction score
they'll prob quit and either go to TNA, ROH or Japan.

but going to TNA or any indy promotion could be a step back for them.. who knows.

imagine HHH in TNA? Can u say ratings over 4?

Did you even read my second post?

What a moron. Even if I was wrong, I find it odd that you couldn't comment on it. Ignoring a post is just a way of saying you have no counter-arguement.

dstebbins

Reaction score
^^^Um, no, I don't think Vince would do that. I think Vince would simply suspend his top stars like RVD, in spite of how it will hurt the show, instead of fine him. Why? Because Vince doesn't give a rat's ass what the fans think. He said it himself: He tells the audience what they want.

And no, that conclusion wasn't an assumption. I've seen it in how he does business. Perfect example: Great Khali as World Champion. Seriously, wtf justifies that? Khali has no mic skills (literally), no wrestling skill (he can do clotheslines. That's about it), no charisma, and a shitload of X-Pac Heat. There is absolutely NO reason he should be champion of any sort in wrestling. At least the TNA world title is currently around the waste of a legitimate athlete.

This Guy

to answer your question, not that your scenario is likely to ever be realistic but assuming it was yes it would be legal to fine them to the point that they were below min wage because min wage only applies to hourly paid employees. Wrestlers are independent contract workers. Also how would you define min wage? Min Wage is different in every state, province & territory in North America.