Worst Title Change In WWE?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Reaction score
Since it's not speciffically World title changes:

Santino taking the IC title away from Umaga. They hot shotted the title to a guy who wasn't even ready to be on t.v, let alone mid card champ, just becuase they were in Italy and it backfired.

Hornswoggle winning the Cruiserweight title from Chavo. Do I even need to explain this? I would like to state that they have some talent that would make for an awesome cruiserweight division. Yoshi Tatsu, Chavo, Bourne, Tyson Kidd, Morrison, Mercury, Kaval, and call Husky Harris the "overweight cruiserweight".

As far as main title changes:
Big Show in 99. It seemed like he was given the belt out of respect for handling the awful, yet funny, Bossman fued. It seemed that he was just the place marker between Triple H reigns.

Sgt. Slaughter winning in 91 just to exploit the Iraqu war and it backfired like a motherfuck when the Iraqi war ended like two weeks later and it caused Vince to switch arenas from the 50,000+ seat Olympic Colliseum to the 15,000+ LA Sports Arena. Should of just had Warrior recapture the title and had a Hogan rematch, which probably would have drawn at least 3/4 of the Colliseum.

Reaction score
Oh man, Wrestlemania VII, what a terrible Wrestlemania. With the exception of the Warrior/Savage match I thought the entire card was just dreadful.

Airfixx

Reaction score
Finally, people see the light about Triple H in 2002-2003. Really, the only one who coulda worked was Kane after he unveiled the mask but if I recall they didn't even feud after that..

...Even then, his beating down RVD and de-masking was the catalyst for him turning heel again anyway, but yeah, Kane was still masked when he and HHH faced off at the tail end of 2002.

Airfixx

Reaction score
Sgt. Slaughter winning in 91 just to exploit the Iraqu war and it backfired like a motherfuck when the Iraqi war ended like two weeks later and it caused Vince to switch arenas from the 50,000+ seat Olympic Colliseum to the 15,000+ LA Sports Arena. Should of just had Warrior recapture the title and had a Hogan rematch, which probably would have drawn at least 3/4 of the Colliseum.

Interesting... I didn't know about the change of venues...

Given how TV worked back then I reckon it'd have been hard for them to switch the titles and re-build towards a Hogan/Warrior rematch in the short period of time between RR91 & WM7... There'd have been virtually no high-profile TV or PPV time... Maybe one SNME maybe. I can't see a mere house-show title change (Slaughter > Warrior) doing the trick.

Montana

Reaction score
I agree, that was interesting. I didn't know that either.

I thought about that being a poor title change, however I really liked how Wrestlemania 7 turned out. In fact, it's probably one of my favorite wrestlemanias of all time. (even though it's not rated very high by most) It's a interesting thought to have a Warrior/Hogan rematch at 7. I'm sure that would have been huge. Macho vs. Warrior career match was pretty awesome too.

I have to disagree with Santino not being ready for TV. It was a poor title change because they did nothing with Santino. The problem was that the WWE wanted to book him as a fluke champ, so he can wrestle, but they told him not to. Not to mention he is a very entertaining character with great mic skills. But yeah, it was poor title change based on how they booked it.

CMS

Reaction score
Well, tbh, they had no other choice but to book him as a fluke champion. Thing is, his character was not accepted by the audience and he had to resort to comedy to get over, and he was never to get away from his comedy character. Now, he will never be taken seriously

Veritas

Reaction score
A little off topic here but I have to agree with Montana as well, Santino was definately ready for TV when they debuted him. Has anyone seen any of his OVW work? The guy has a crisp, effective submission style of wrestling that he's honest to God actually really good with. He also happens to be a legit Sambo Champion. Santino's booked like a joke and he plays that character well but he really is a pretty good worker, especially by today's standards. People always talk about WWE neutering the styles of people like Punk and Danielson but, IMO, Santino is one of the, if not THE, most neutered guys on the roster.

Reaction score
A little off topic here but I have to agree with Montana as well, Santino was definately ready for TV when they debuted him. Has anyone seen any of his OVW work? The guy has a crisp, effective submission style of wrestling that he's honest to God actually really good with. He also happens to be a legit Sambo Champion. Santino's booked like a joke and he plays that character well but he really is a pretty good worker, especially by today's standards. People always talk about WWE neutering the styles of people like Punk and Danielson but, IMO, Santino is one of the, if not THE, most neutered guys on the roster.

His days as Boris Alexiev? I have those tapes!

Lady Redfield

Itchy tasty
Reaction score
[YT]uPj3pm6WI_c[/YT]

This was the gayest fucking thing EVER. Honky Tonk Man is the shit and this match was stupid. Fuck you, Warrior.

...god...

Reaction score
Santino is awesome. He hadn't made me laugh as hard as I did with the whole Sheamus thing, trying to cash a check to him and give him his wallet rofl, since the ripping off Stone Cold days.