AMA Workload, Storylines, and Segments: A Discussion

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Rosie

Dark Side
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
Favorite Wrestler
Se3BZPQ
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Sports Team
2DciFqq
Favorite Sports Team
OQcgyMS
Favorite Sports Team
coloradoavalanche
Favorite Sports Team
vCLYUUD
Hey everyone, your princess is here and after getting a show under my belt and seeing the process going on to making a show, I think there is some discussion that has to take place.

Before I say anything else, I will give thanks to @Kid Vicious and those involved for their hard work in posting the show. It is never easy to post an e-fed show and from getting involved a little bit in helping Rush Hour, he worked hard on this with others. With that in mind, I can see some areas for improvement. This is being discussed a bit right now in the show thread for Rush Hour which is here. But making it a separate thread can help for future discussion and the members of AMA along with creative can hear ideas to improve.

I have had my fair share of shows which take a long time over the years (I can probably name at least 5 on the low-end) and those shows get delayed due to various reasons. Some are unavoidable like IRL issues, mental health, and more. I know that is part of the reason why, but I also see one issue which can be addressed, and that is load management.

Perhaps because I am an eager beaver, I had messaged Smark multiple times to discuss storyline ideas and etc because I think that is always the most fun in an e-fed, not winning or losing, but working together with someone, improving, and crafting a fun storyline or character. During that, along with helping write some of the show, I realized how storylines are planned here and how segments are written for the show. The answer: CREATIVE WRITES MOST OF IT!

I have seen feds where the creative does dictate storylines and I think that is fine. It is similar to how wrestling is IRL, and then the roster would pitch in. With that in mind, it was a bit of a surprise that me writing my character’s segments on the show is not always the norm. Most the time, the members would make a segment to submit. And I think from experience I know too much for a team to handle can lead to things like burnout, longer delay between shows, and just stress.

Upon Rush Hour being released, I decided to count the matches and segments involved. Here is what I found:

I will count a segment as anything not directly connected to a match as a segment. (I.E: post-match beatdown = no, a promo to set up a match, locker room segment, interviews, yes)

scott-steiner-math.gif

10 matches, two of which were non-matches (instant tap + no-show) so 8 full matches.

25, 763 words. The show had 10 matches, and two of them were basically non-matches (instant tap + taken out beforehand). There can be some ways to trim them a bit. I also admit I could have added to it (I wrote The Residence debut match, following the general template given from a rough draft of the match by I believe Chris) and Omega v Norman. Even then, the matches are expected to be the Meat and Potatoes of the show and I have seen longer shows in terms of matches. What about the segments?

Segments:

About 15 of them. So there are more than actual matches. How long were they in total?

7,833 words. It is not nearly as much as the actual matches, but it is still 15 of them that had to be written (mostly by creative) and then plugged into the show and they tend to take more editing. This was shown since there were a couple errors I noticed upon a second read including segments being placed in a position where it doesn’t fit what they were saying. (Like opening show pyro… multiple matches in, Nova wishing Brian luck in his match which had already happened)

33, 596 for the total length. A quarter of the show is dedicated to segments in terms of actual length. But in terms of if we'd use the number of segments vs matches, it’d 60%.

So the show overall was going to be long from the matches, but the amount of segments probably added to the delay, and it is hard as heck. Nobody is superhuman and I respect the effort Smark put into this show, but there has to be a way to make things better.

While I think things in your own life take priority over any e-fed, finding some ways to get people around the fed a touch more involved can be great. Or, finding the right way to manage the load of the fed can prevent burnout or overworking creative. I’ve seen people lose their sanity trying to do the work of 100 people, and myself included, I don’t wish that on anyone. Keeping all this in mind, it can keep engagement in the fed going, encourage more interaction, and even gives people a chance to improve. So here are some ways which I think can help these areas.

Potentially Trim match length a bit/Set Soft Caps on Length on matches

As stated, they are going to the majority of the show and sometimes a good match has some extra length. But if we can look towards what matches can have a soft limit on in terms of length, then that can help. I say soft limit just because sometimes a match can be made longer just by the detail someone writes in (nor should we have to compensate by just having a lack of detail so a match is just MOVE MOVE MOVE FINISH and you get confused reading it).

Reduce the Required Segments Staff Has to Write on the main show:

This is self explanatory. When you have 10 matches on a card, that will take up a fair bit of time as it is, even with multiple hands on deck. Then adding segments in it can overwork someone. While I want ideas from others to help, here are a few general things which can help:

Your character is involved in a segment? Pitch in. This can help you keep consistency with the character’s presentation, and practice along with lessening the load on staff. Even if there are some bullet points to hit, you can hit them and modify them when needed. Then all staff will have to worry about matches and maybe some editing with segments.

Writing some segments off show: Sometimes you don’t need a segment on the show itself to advance it. Wrestling these days can have storylines advance on TV and elsewhere.

This is where the Character development section really comes in handy. If there is some encounter that takes place after the show backstage, maybe a sit-down interview, anything, there are multiple ways to get a storyline going. Even if you have an idea for development for the character off the show, it helps. Plus having some segments off the show itself can be freeing in that you are not limited to a traditional setting.

I’ve also seen storylines be advanced on social media. While multiple e-feds have used Twitter, I don’t think that should be something forced. Trust me, I have had fun with it, but also have seen a lot of petty drama, or just something taken out of context. But this also can be done through our own site’s social media thread if your character realistically can use social media. You saw me post a couple tweets with Cali Hayama, Welsh show his character off a bit. Sometimes you can use it to genuinely set up or add a touch to a feud, or just have some fun and interact with a character you don’t normally interact with. Of course, if you are not in the mood, you can always (kindly) make an OOC comment to ask to not do so, and do the same if a line is getting stepped over.

If it isn’t required to absolutely take place on the show, maybe post it elsewhere? That way it is not delaying the show. Even match promos can be used to advance some storyline points if done right.

Time limit for submitting segments:

Find a period of time where people can submit their segments. Granted we can always allow some grace if someone doesn’t have time to do it due to IRL stuff, but that can help things be planned better, probably before the hopeful date the show is posted. If it isn’t sent in time, then no segment and if you wish to advance the storyline still, there are other ways to do it as per my previous point.

These are just a couple of ideas, but this can also involve things like getting in touch about storylines and planning some things related to your character (preferably ones that can be done win or lose because I have seen people get fucked because they plan on having their storyline be based on being nearly unstoppable… and they lose). I hope there can be some healthy discussion and we can work on this to help AMA keep smooth and even just have some more fun along the way.

Royally yours,

Princess Rose <3

Last edited:

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
I def. dont hate the idea of hard time sub limits, and I say this as someone who's late often :heston (sorry). you have my permission to yell at me when im lagging at all

Kross Rhodes

Israel Has the Right to Exist
Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
The pyro was because the first hour is the kickoff.

As for the Brian thing, that’s a mistake because the segment was intended for after his match. I’ll fix it.

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
I def. dont hate the idea of hard time sub limits, and I say this as someone who's late often :heston (sorry). you have my permission to yell at me when im lagging at all
but ya seriously i'll do better though, but dont be shy to remind me even close to the date, i wont take that shit personally. i procrastinate sometimes waiting for inspiration :p

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
I think one suggestion I would have, for everyone involved, is if you feel you won't have much time or willingness a certain cycle, try to tell management aka smark asap. that way he can either not book you, delay your angle, or write something while he's not time crunched. the less people wait to let people they can or cannot do something the faster we can kind of adapt I guess

Reactions: Marty McFourth

Rosie

Dark Side
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
Favorite Wrestler
Se3BZPQ
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Sports Team
2DciFqq
Favorite Sports Team
OQcgyMS
Favorite Sports Team
coloradoavalanche
Favorite Sports Team
vCLYUUD
I think one suggestion I would have, for everyone involved, is if you feel you won't have much time or willingness a certain cycle, try to tell management aka smark asap. that way he can either not book you, delay your angle, or write something while he's not time crunched. the less people wait to let people they can or cannot do something the faster we can kind of adapt I guess

This.

Communication is always a big help. That goes for this and just getting ideas in for storyline. Even if let's say, you don't have time to write a full segment you can talk to whoever is writing it for ideas, whether either creative or someone else involved writes it. Or if you know you don't have time, just say "I can't. Let's do this instead when I have time."

Teamwork makes the dream work and the meme work.

Kross Rhodes

Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
I just sent everyone I count on usually a pm. If you reply now, we should be able to get this cycle under control and in time.

CakeWalker

Fancy a slice?
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
TigerMask1
Favorite Wrestler
AZs1Z5p
Favorite Wrestler
E3RY3ej
Favorite Sports Team
2fIlV8l
Favorite Sports Team
Stewart52
Favorite Sports Team
Brad6
Favorite Sports Team
OH6F0Jl
which commentator was face and which one heel again

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Pierce face jasper heel

Alexa

Forever on Holiday
Reaction score
I just want to say, since there isn't a general discussion thread and the promo adivce thread has gone, please do not use Black text in promos as it is unreadable.

Rosie

Dark Side
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
Favorite Wrestler
Se3BZPQ
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Sports Team
2DciFqq
Favorite Sports Team
OQcgyMS
Favorite Sports Team
coloradoavalanche
Favorite Sports Team
vCLYUUD
I just want to say, since there isn't a general discussion thread and the promo adivce thread has gone, please do not use Black text in promos as it is unreadable.

*rates informative*

TOP GUY TIME

Goodbye!
Reaction score
I may be reading into this wrong, feel free to yell at me if I am, but not even for descriptions?

The statement is confusing me a little, because I use the basic black text for anything non-dialogue. Would that mean I have to find a new color?

Kross Rhodes

Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
There should be general threads and a general promo thread.

That said you never want to code text black. If you’re on the white skin it’ll automatically be black and if you’re on the dark skin it’ll automatically be white but you never want to actually color code text white or black because you got a remember there are people that are using the opposite color.

Reactions: TOP GUY TIME

Rosie

Dark Side
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
Favorite Wrestler
Se3BZPQ
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Sports Team
2DciFqq
Favorite Sports Team
OQcgyMS
Favorite Sports Team
coloradoavalanche
Favorite Sports Team
vCLYUUD
I may be reading into this wrong, feel free to yell at me if I am, but not even for descriptions?

The statement is confusing me a little, because I use the basic black text for anything non-dialogue. Would that mean I have to find a new color?

She is refering to changing it to anything but the default text colour. If you are on light mode, the default colour is black, and on dark mode, it is white.

Either way, changing it to black or white isn't the best. Because in one scenerio it is impossible to read. In the other it matches the rest of the text and there is no point.

Example:

LightMode.png

Light mode

DarkMode.png

Dark mode

Reactions: TOP GUY TIME