Wiz's Covers Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Black Wizard

サイバーパンク
Reaction score
A few months ago I got my hands on a guitar and a bass again, and have finally gotten into the swing of things. Bought a recording interface and amp modeling software so I'm putting that to work. Played through Toxic Garbage Island by Gojira and figured I'd post it up.

It's an insanely rough cover, I fuck up a few times. It isn't mixed at all, just wanted to throw something together to test out all the software. Listen to how rusty I am! Technical details for anyone possibly interested are - recorded through a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, guitar tone from BIAS FX, bass tone from BIAS Amp 2, drum track is some shitty one I found on Youtube, all recording is done in Reaper.

Jay-Ashley

The War Dog Rebel
Reaction score
It is pretty good. If it was mixed would be a little bit better, but mixing is hard as hell to master. Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 is a good choice and especially for beginners, BIAS is pretty good and I have seen it used in several videos, for drumming I would suggest the VST called Real Drummer, or something on that line, and I can respect someone using Reaper as it is slept and hardly talked about.

Reactions: Black Wizard

Black Wizard

サイバーパンク
Reaction score
It is pretty good. If it was mixed would be a little bit better, but mixing is hard as hell to master. Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 is a good choice and especially for beginners, BIAS is pretty good and I have seen it used in several videos, for drumming I would suggest the VST called Real Drummer, or something on that line, and I can respect someone using Reaper as it is slept and hardly talked about.
Thanks. I'm pretty familiar with mixing, just didn't bother with it for this quick cover. I'd have to compress the high end of the drum track so much because it clashes with everything. Weird sounding kick drum doesn't let the bass come through as clearly despite there being a clean bass track and another based on a Darkglass B7K. But that's what you get when you take the first drum track that comes up on YouTube.

And yeah, Reaper is the shit. The interface came with a code for Pro Tools but I hadn't bothered to download it yet. I'm very familiar with Reaper, supports every VST under the sun, and does its job well.

I'm thinking Hammer Smashed Face might be my next one I do since I have the actual drum track from the studio recording, and I can nail that tone pretty well. Gojira has a hard to achieve tone, while I think I did a pretty good job they use a lot of mids that are hard to lock down.

Reactions: Jay-Ashley

Jay-Ashley

The War Dog Rebel
Reaction score
Thanks. I'm pretty familiar with mixing, just didn't bother with it for this quick cover. I'd have to compress the high end of the drum track so much because it clashes with everything. Weird sounding kick drum doesn't let the bass come through as clearly despite there being a clean bass track and another based on a Darkglass B7K. But that's what you get when you take the first drum track that comes up on YouTube.

And yeah, Reaper is the shit. The interface came with a code for Pro Tools but I hadn't bothered to download it yet. I'm very familiar with Reaper, supports every VST under the sun, and does its job well.

I'm thinking Hammer Smashed Face might be my next one I do since I have the actual drum track from the studio recording, and I can nail that tone pretty well. Gojira has a hard to achieve tone, while I think I did a pretty good job they use a lot of mids that are hard to lock down.
Your welcome. Fair enough point. Hey you had to use what you had to use what you had to use. Bass, especially in mixing, can be easy and hard at the same for the same reason you gave.

I use to use Reaper and FL Studio as combo, and it was great. And the fact FL and Reaper both can use every VST ever made it a whole better.

Cannibal Corpse, I can dig it. I have never heard of Gojira, but as I said I think you did a pretty good job. Mids are kind of a pain because it can change how a Guitar or even the whole track sound as a whole. Anyways, I'll be waiting for your next cover.

Black Wizard

サイバーパンク
Reaction score
I lied.

Hammer Smashed Face is still coming, but I spent pretty much the entire day trying to recreate the bass tone I had in the band I was in during high school, and I got pretty goddamn close. Chose Blinded by Fear by At The Gates since they were the direct inspiration for the stuff we wrote. It's not a full instrumental cover since I have a 5 string bass, but no 7 or 8 string guitar, nor the strings to handle tuning my guitar down to B currently. Bass is pretty low in the mix on the original song so I just threw mine on top of it and boosted it. Played a couple riffs at the end to show what the bass sounds like by itself without the song.

Black Wizard

サイバーパンク
Reaction score
I lied again. I don't have the drum track for Hammer Smashed Face anymore, and can't find it. I'll find a decent one somewhere since I don't have a VST for drums right now.

I bought a new guitar yesterday. Well a used guitar, but new to me. I've joined the Legion of Djent and have an 8-string Ibanez now. And if you have an 8-string, you gotta play Meshuggah. Not the whole song since it's long and repetitive at times, but it's some of it. Like half of it. I flub up some notes because I'm still getting used to this thing, has a big neck and I'm not used to 2 extra strings on a guitar. Pickups suck but I'm gonna replace em, still got a decent sound out of it.

Jay-Ashley

The War Dog Rebel
Reaction score
I lied again. I don't have the drum track for Hammer Smashed Face anymore, and can't find it. I'll find a decent one somewhere since I don't have a VST for drums right now.
If you are looking for a Drum VST, I would highly recommend EZDrumer.

Black Wizard

サイバーパンク
Reaction score
Decided to do another instrumental cover instead of just recording over the studio track.

And guess what, it's mixed this time!

Jay-Ashley

The War Dog Rebel
Reaction score
Decided to do another instrumental cover instead of just recording over the studio track.

And guess what, it's mixed this time!

Now there maybe a little bit of bias as I like S.O.A.D, but this is a really good cover and the mixing is pretty good as well. I say for this one great job.

Black Wizard

サイバーパンク
Reaction score
Now there maybe a little bit of bias as I like S.O.A.D, but this is a really good cover and the mixing is pretty good as well. I say for this one great job.
Thank ya. I'll probably do some more System at some point. Maybe Suite-Pee, or Sugar, or something else off their first album.

Mixing this song was a breeze. Guitar tone could have used more gain, but I didn't want too much bottom end. Although listening to the studio version, it is kinda muddy. Oh well.

Jay-Ashley

The War Dog Rebel
Reaction score
Thank ya. I'll probably do some more System at some point. Maybe Suite-Pee, or Sugar, or something else off their first album.

Mixing this song was a breeze. Guitar tone could have used more gain, but I didn't want too much bottom end. Although listening to the studio version, it is kinda muddy. Oh well.
No problem. If you do Sugar I may be a little more critical as it is one of my favorites from them, but I am sure you will do great.

Yeah, early S.O.A.D. had a real raw and muddy sound to it which is fine, but I like it better when is it cleaned up. Also, did you teach yourself to mix or did you watch Youtube videos?

Black Wizard

サイバーパンク
Reaction score
No problem. If you do Sugar I may be a little more critical as it is one of my favorites from them, but I am sure you will do great.

Yeah, early S.O.A.D. had a real raw and muddy sound to it which is fine, but I like it better when is it cleaned up. Also, did you teach yourself to mix or did you watch Youtube videos?
I'm all self taught. Basically just trial and error, adjusting levels and learning what each frequency pertains to. Mixing Prison Song kinda makes me want to go re-record Toxic Garbage Island and mix it properly.

Jay-Ashley

The War Dog Rebel
Reaction score
I'm all self taught. Basically just trial and error, adjusting levels and learning what each frequency pertains to. Mixing Prison Song kinda makes me want to go re-record Toxic Garbage Island and mix it properly.
Nice. I think self teaching yourself is the better way to go as you get a better "feeling" for it, if that makes sense. If you do re-record and post, I will be here giving my opinion on it.

Black Wizard

サイバーパンク
Reaction score
This might be the one I've had the most fun with yet. I'm not the world's biggest Korn fan, but Here to Stay was the first song I learned on a 5-string bass, and I think I was 16 so this took me back. Lots of people hate Fieldy's tone, but to me, it's legendary. I think I did a pretty good job matching it. It was fun getting to play some slap bass again too.