Will Roman Reigns EVER Get Over?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
Apparently...inside sources indicate that Vince McMahon has only one goal for
Wrestlemania 33...and that is getting Roman Reigns over with the fans.

Not pushing other talent, not ensuring that the main event lives up to the
Wrestlemania Legacy, not making sure that the card is the best it can be...

His only goal is to get Roman Reigns over...

Vince will not admit defeat and will continue with what now seems like a
pointless endeavor.

Apparently Vince is getting "desperate" at this point...

Reigns recently won PWI's "Most Hated Wrestler" of the year...which would
be great...if he wasn't a "babyface"

Roman Reigns Becomes The First Babyface To Win 'PWI' Most Hated Wrestler Award

Now I personally don't understand why Vince continues with this ridiculous
project...but the WWE is his company...so he has the freedom to do what
he wants...even it is poisoning and slowly killing his very own product.

WWE Live Event Results From Boston (12/29): Fans Leave During Main Event, Cruiserweights Shine, More - WrestlingInc.com

Now I don't want to actually talk about Reigns...cause he just bores me...
but I do have a question for you...my fellow members...

Will Roman Reigns ever get over with the fans?

Your thoughts & Opinions? Do you even care anymore?

Vince continues with this because Vince has the mentality that he knows better than his fans as to what works with wrestling. He has come right out and said this, saying that being a third generation promoter gives him an intuition for what works that the fans and other promoters don't have. And yes, Vince has had some amazing successes.

But he has also had some phenomenal failures. Sometimes, he will repackage a failure and it will become a success, i.e. Rocky Maivia becoming the Rock and the Ringmaster becoming Stone Cold Steve Austin. And that's wonderful. But he will also push guys who just don't catch on the way he wanted them too. Good examples of this are Ahmed Johnson, Lex Luger, Diesel. He also has this tendency to promote stupid comic book characters like clowns, garbage men, race care drivers. So, I really don't think he has this magic intuition that he would like us to believe that he does. Like any other business man, he goes through series of successes and failures.

I think Roman Reigns might be, in his mind, his last real chance to push a main event talent that will become the face of the company much like Hogan, Austin, Rock and Cena. He's getting up there in the years and although he insists he isn't retiring, these opportunities aren't going to present themselves as often as he might want them to. So I think he keeps trying to force the Roman Reigns issue because he just can't accept the fact that his fans know better than he does as to what they want to see. He can't accept that and seems to think that constantly pushing him might wear down the fans resistance. Unfortunately for Roman Reigns, who is rather innocent in all of this, Vince is pushing him too hard and having the opposite effect. He just cannot accept the fact that in this instance, he is wrong.

I still think a heel turn could do wonders for Reigns. However, I really don't know at this point. I personally never thought Roman was main event talent to begin with and I don't think he has ANY business headlining three Wrestlemanias in a row.

If the plan right now is to have Roman win the Universal title and have Braun Strowman win the Royal Rumble and put those two in the main event of WrestleMania, it WILL NOT have the effect of putting Reigns over. In fact, Braun has been one of the more enjoyable things about Raw lately. If he puts on a dominant Rumble performance and meets Roman in the main event, I think Strowman will be the one benefiting from the push and he will be the one to be over with the fans at Mania.

Gman003

The Lunatic Fringe
Hotshot
Reaction score
@Jacob Fox yeah I agree 100%. I can totally see that being the way things shape up for mania. If you're a fan of braun already, it will be alot cooler after roman beats him at mania.

I don't mind roman for the most part, and like you said it's because of his booking. He really is the innocent one in all of this

Snowman1

Chillin' with the snowmies.
Reaction score
I just love the concept of using the thing that got Roman the most over - beating ass and eliminating like 100 dudes from the Rumble - is the thing they're wanting to try to do to get Braun over so now we'll like Roman for beating him.

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
Inadvertently, they might end up making Strowman the over guy that they are trying to do with Reigns. I can't really see Strowman being the face of the company, but he might end up being one of the top 5 guys in the company. Maybe he'll be like Kane was when he first came around.

Reactions: Prince Bálor

Grievous 3D

Is Currently In Stasis
Banned
Reaction score
I can't really see Strowman being the face of the company, but he might end up being one of the top 5 guys in the company. Maybe he'll be like Kane was when he first came around.
Its interesting...as many of you may have noticed I don't really rate or like Strowman...
but his booking has been excellent and so far he hasn't been pushed too far too fast.

I personally don't like the idea of Roman defeating him...but then I'm not really happy
watching Roman beat anyone.

Seriously...if it is Reigns vs. Strowman at Wrestlemania...I'll be hoping Strowman gets
the win...that's how much I want Reigns to fail.

The one thing about Strowman I'm curious about is his actual character...I mean...he's
a "former" Wyatt Family member...and no doubt still would be if not for the draft...but
we know very little about his character.

Kane had a great backstory tied to the Undertaker, an amazing Michael Myers styled
appearance and a great mouthpiece in Paul Bearer. Kane was a great character that
could be developed very easily over the years...for better...or worse...

Plus Glen Jacobs really knew what he was doing in playing the character...much like
suit actors when they play monsters and aliens in movies.

Braun Strowman is just what his name suggests...A Big, Strong Man...and nothing more.
He needs to be fleshed out and given some character...even if its very basic.

Why do I always think he was a lumberjack? No Idea...

I will admit...there are some talented young "big men" in the WWE at the moment...
Strowman, Baron Corbin, Big Cass....Vince must be very happy about that...lol

Fireshock

THE INSTANT CLASSIC
Reaction score
Honestly, I always though him and Bryan should have swapped places at WM 31.Have him lose the again just like in 2014 and then 2016 have him win third time the charm kind of story-line. Reigns wins IC belt and Bryan cashed on by Seth during the match with Brock. Slowly move up the ranks, a slow but effective build of him as a top guy.

But can’t change that now, he much better in the ring. But even a heel turn I worry that by now the damage has been done too much for him even in that role. Vince, give it up man, Reigns is not the next face of WWE whether you like or not.

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
I just love the concept of using the thing that got Roman the most over - beating ass and eliminating like 100 dudes from the Rumble - is the thing they're wanting to try to do to get Braun over so now we'll like Roman for beating him.

That'll totally work against them, obviously, 'cause the crowd will boo the hell out of Reigns when he pins Strowman clean.

Man, Vince is truly one of a kind. lol

edge4ever

The Game
Technician
Reaction score
Vince continues with this because Vince has the mentality that he knows better than his fans as to what works with wrestling. He has come right out and said this, saying that being a third generation promoter gives him an intuition for what works that the fans and other promoters don't have. And yes, Vince has had some amazing successes.

But he has also had some phenomenal failures. Sometimes, he will repackage a failure and it will become a success, i.e. Rocky Maivia becoming the Rock and the Ringmaster becoming Stone Cold Steve Austin. And that's wonderful. But he will also push guys who just don't catch on the way he wanted them too. Good examples of this are Ahmed Johnson, Lex Luger, Diesel. He also has this tendency to promote stupid comic book characters like clowns, garbage men, race care drivers. So, I really don't think he has this magic intuition that he would like us to believe that he does. Like any other business man, he goes through series of successes and failures.

I think Roman Reigns might be, in his mind, his last real chance to push a main event talent that will become the face of the company much like Hogan, Austin, Rock and Cena. He's getting up there in the years and although he insists he isn't retiring, these opportunities aren't going to present themselves as often as he might want them to. So I think he keeps trying to force the Roman Reigns issue because he just can't accept the fact that his fans know better than he does as to what they want to see. He can't accept that and seems to think that constantly pushing him might wear down the fans resistance. Unfortunately for Roman Reigns, who is rather innocent in all of this, Vince is pushing him too hard and having the opposite effect. He just cannot accept the fact that in this instance, he is wrong.

I still think a heel turn could do wonders for Reigns. However, I really don't know at this point. I personally never thought Roman was main event talent to begin with and I don't think he has ANY business headlining three Wrestlemanias in a row.

If the plan right now is to have Roman win the Universal title and have Braun Strowman win the Royal Rumble and put those two in the main event of WrestleMania, it WILL NOT have the effect of putting Reigns over. In fact, Braun has been one of the more enjoyable things about Raw lately. If he puts on a dominant Rumble performance and meets Roman in the main event, I think Strowman will be the one benefiting from the push and he will be the one to be over with the fans at Mania.
Couldn't agree more. I mean the sad thing is that WWE has such a golden opportunity to have a golden mania. One with amazing matches and feuds and I feel like Vince is slowly ruining this.

Zardnaar

The Showoff
Reaction score
Inadvertently, they might end up making Strowman the over guy that they are trying to do with Reigns. I can't really see Strowman being the face of the company, but he might end up being one of the top 5 guys in the company. Maybe he'll be like Kane was when he first came around.

He will be the monster heel thing aka Andre the Giant/Earthquake/Giant Gonzalez/Yokkozuna/ane etc.

Win or lose Strowman will be the one to benefit from a Reigns match. Vince might surprise us with a heel turn though.

WWE is still capable of good booking and surprises (Goldberg vs Brock, UK title booking).

Michale Cole and HHH probably need more freedom.

Shayon

Jobber
Reaction score
Vince is just f-ing insane when it comes to reigns, I just don't get it, u spend more than 3 entire years to just get a man over, who can't even work out an average wrestling match himself, just bcoz he's the typical "WWE big guy", but in these years he's gained only hatred to such a point that people actually don't care about him anymore, then why just keep pushing him as the franchise player? I mean, isn't that just ruining ur own product? - it's destroying it u dumb head! Only way out is, put reigns aside, put him somewhere in the lower card, either he's heel or not, fans don't care about him anymore, so put him aside. Put all the other very deserving talents over, first of which will definitely be Cesaro,

Zardnaar

The Showoff
Reaction score
Vince is just f-ing insane when it comes to reigns, I just don't get it, u spend more than 3 entire years to just get a man over, who can't even work out an average wrestling match himself, just bcoz he's the typical "WWE big guy", but in these years he's gained only hatred to such a point that people actually don't care about him anymore, then why just keep pushing him as the franchise player? I mean, isn't that just ruining ur own product? - it's destroying it u dumb head! Only way out is, put reigns aside, put him somewhere in the lower card, either he's heel or not, fans don't care about him anymore, so put him aside. Put all the other very deserving talents over, first of which will definitely be Cesaro,

IDK if Cesaro is "the man" but he is probably over enough to try it out.

When Austin started to go over organically (as a heel) they strapped a rocket to his back and pushed him to the moon. A few of the heels could also do with a face turn (Rusev maybe?)

Rusev could be a face that is basically unbeatable if Lana is around (without interference) but if you take her out he is vulnerable. You would get good heel heat if you allied with one of the female heels who can take her out while putting over the villain as a villain.

Gembo

The Showoff
Reaction score
He could if he turned heel, in my opinion. He's clearly not over as a face, so why not switch him and see if it works?

Shayon

Jobber
Reaction score
IDK if Cesaro is "the man" but he is probably over enough to try it out.

When Austin started to go over organically (as a heel) they strapped a rocket to his back and pushed him to the moon. A few of the heels could also do with a face turn (Rusev maybe?)

Rusev could be a face that is basically unbeatable if Lana is around (without interference) but if you take her out he is vulnerable. You would get good heel heat if you allied with one of the female heels who can take her out while putting over the villain as a villain.
Yeah but that's only bcoz as I mentioned Vince is did it, Vince does the exact opposite of what he should do, suppress Cesaro so hard for so long that it's practically impossible for him to be 'the guy'. Unless he is repackaged, which I have doubt would work,

Zardnaar

The Showoff
Reaction score
Yeah but that's only bcoz as I mentioned Vince is did it, Vince does the exact opposite of what he should do, suppress Cesaro so hard for so long that it's practically impossible for him to be 'the guy'. Unless he is repackaged, which I have doubt would work,

I wathced his SCST podcast before I watched Wrestling again and was shocked he would say that about Cesaro in public. Just buried his own talent. Cesaro is over as well, I heard he was hotter 2014.