Why was Punk unhappy in 2009/10?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

I'll See Ya Kia

Beautiful Palm Trees.
Reaction score
I've always known deep down Punk was unhappy this past year or so and I believe some of you sensed the same. However, in his famous speech he gave he mentioned how unhappy he'd been the year and a half prior.

I'm slightly confused by this (even though I realize Punk himself is a bit melancholy anyways) because he really shined to me in those SES days. I liked this version of him but he seemed to disagree. Does anybody have any insight to this?

Edit: I realize SES didn't go superbly, but is that a reason to be so gloomy?

Stopspot

Now I’m a big, fat dynamo!
Reaction score
I think it most likely comes down to ego. Defend Punk all you want but he has a huge ego no matter how nice or good a person he is. To make it in as a competitive a field as pro wrestling you need to have a ego and be ready to step over people to succeed. He most likely felt that all he did for the company wasn't appreciated enough and he wasn't rewarded in a way he saw fit.

My take on it all.

Asskicker

Champion
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I think it was because of the feud he had with Jeff Hardy. It was good but really odd and pointless tbh.

Leo C

Backlund Mark
Reaction score
Well, he was treated as a jobber after his feud with Jeff Hardy, no doubt about that. As much as I loved his character, if I recall correctly he lost almost every match he was on.

Mainstream87

The Artiste
Reaction score
As cool as the SES stuff was, he never was used right in it. He clearly jobbed most of 2010, and was put on commentary. It was pretty obvious why he was upset, but at the same time his ego saved him in the end. For years in the wwe Id read about the politics and arguments he had with people about his look and such, he refused to change, which at the time really bothered officials.

Mr Cobalt

Jobber
Reaction score
A big part of his ego is the fact that everybody on the internet is in love with him. You can only have so many people say you're the best so many times before you start believing it's true. I think he wanted to be on top of WWE, and he wasn't in the exact position he wants to be in at first. Patience works out in the long run, and all the work through stuff he may not have been super happy doing led to a great title run.

Mainstream87

The Artiste
Reaction score
There was a time in 2010 when he fought with many officials and Tony Atlas over his tapped wrists and look. Which apparently he threw a fit over.

Crayo

The Boss
Reaction score
Website
wweforums.net
Ses had so much potential and failed. He basically thought he was better than those main eventing -- which he was -- and instead was jobbing to people he shouldn't be jobbing too.

Mainstream87

The Artiste
Reaction score
Crayo said:
Ses had so much potential and failed. He basically thought he was better than those main eventing -- which he was -- and instead was jobbing to people he shouldn't be jobbing too.

I think it had to do more than that, he has always made negitive comments about the image of wwe.

I'll See Ya Kia

Beautiful Palm Trees.
Reaction score
Okay, so he wanted to be 'booked' like :bury: , because if I remember correctly :bury: is the only evil character WWE has used to win consistently.

Crayo

The Boss
Reaction score
Website
wweforums.net
KiaSport said:
Okay, so he wanted to be 'booked' like :bury: , because if I remember correctly :bury: is the only evil character WWE has used to win consistently.

Not sure it's about winning, it's more so being in the spotlight. Instead of midcard jobbing, start actually having main event storylines.

seabs

Walking the King’s Road
Reaction score
Re: RE: Why was Punk unhappy in 2009/10?

Asskicker said:
its not even that why the F*** would you job againts jeff hardy first of all?

Jeff made big money for them if I remember rightly.