Why Is ROH Successful?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Rell

Reaction score
Most of you know that I'm a huge Ring Of Honor fan. I wasn't much of an independent wrestling fan until I started watching ROH, I was so impressed by the ability of these guys, it totally changed my my views on wrestling. There is various independent wrestling promotions that are very good from PWG to IWS, which brings me to the question, in just five years (2002-present) why has ROH been so successful? Why has ROH been able to go to the UK, and Japan? Why has ROH reached PPV while other independent promotions that have been around longer can hardly draw 100 fans into a basketball gym? Call me crazy but I think one of the reasons why ROH is so successful is....TNA. As we all know ROH and TNA has shared talent in the past. Some of the best TNA superstars have came from ROH, Homicide, AJ Styles, Samoa Joe, Jay Lethal, Alex Shelley etc. I truly believe the exposure Total Nonstop Action Wrestling gave guys like Styles and Low-Ki has helped in the success of Ring Of Honor. What do you guys think.

Antony_nz

Reaction score
I dont no. I guess for some resson the grazy owener thought that if he got better wrestlers the shows would be better?

Soulpower

My belief... Its the alternative to the WWE that no one else can offer. They wrestle matches in a different way, and they emphasize on their in-ring product instead of focusing on the storyline aspect of the business.

To put it simply, ROH is successful because its Wrestling, not Sports Entertainment.

Rell

Reaction score
^But what about other Independent promotions, IMO PWG is just as good as Ring Of Honor....well maybe not just as good, but its damn close to it, most independent promotions use the same formula as ROH, which is more emphasis on the in ring product, so why haven't they reached the success level that ROH has?

Headfirst For Hardcore

Reaction score
ROH is successful because it's what their first slogan said...

We Don't Imitate, We Innovate.

They put on great wrestling matches when sports entertainment starts to rule the wrestling world. They didn't try to be the next ECW, the only thing they took from them was the pure wrestling aspect. They didn't try to be WCW and WWE, just for the fact that almost every other indy promotion tries to do that and fails. They gave us wrestling classics, from day one. Ring Of Honor tried to be as different as possible and it worked. ROH gives the younger guys a chance. On the first show, they had One Of The Greatest Wrestlers of all time and a Lucha star on the card. Were they in the main event? No, they gave the main event to Chris Daniels, Low Ki and Bryan Danielson, and they brought in a new era of wrestling. They brought the sport back to wrestling, and put storylines that we could all relate to. ROH put on some of the greatest matches in the past few years, and that gave them attention. It's only growing now, and it'll only be a matter of time once they overtake TNA as the number 2 American wrestling promotion.

That's why ROH is successful.

Antony_nz

Reaction score
My belief... Its the alternative to the WWE that no one else can offer. They wrestle matches in a different way, and they emphasize on their in-ring product instead of focusing on the storyline aspect of the business.

To put it simply, ROH is successful because its Wrestling, not Sports Entertainment.

I agree thats why.

Rell

Reaction score
ROH is successful because it's what their first slogan said...

We Don't Imitate, We Innovate.

They put on great wrestling matches when sports entertainment starts to rule the wrestling world. They didn't try to be the next ECW, the only thing they took from them was the pure wrestling aspect. They didn't try to be WCW and WWE, just for the fact that almost every other indy promotion tries to do that and fails. They gave us wrestling classics, from day one. Ring Of Honor tried to be as different as possible and it worked. ROH gives the younger guys a chance. On the first show, they had One Of The Greatest Wrestlers of all time and a Lucha star on the card. Were they in the main event? No, they gave the main event to Chris Daniels, Low Ki and Bryan Danielson, and they brought in a new era of wrestling. They brought the sport back to wrestling, and put storylines that we could all relate to. ROH put on some of the greatest matches in the past few years, and that gave them attention. It's only growing now, and it'll only be a matter of time once they overtake TNA as the number 2 American wrestling promotion.

That's why ROH is successful.

Great answer man +rep

TapOutAngleLock

Reaction score
June 9th in Philly I am going to Ring of Honor. I get to see Kings of Wrestling vs Briscoes 2/3 falls. I am so excited.

Disraeli

Reaction score
I agree that TNA connection has certainly spread the word around considerably. I certainly first became aquinted with Samoa Joe the TNA-wrestler and then Joe of ROH. ROH has been extremely lucky with it's associates and ex-wrestlers. TNA a connection is obvious and as TNA has gained fame so has ROH. Consider Angle's jump to TNA. Who did he feud with first: Samoa Joe, who still then was on the ROH roster, Samoa Joe who also has had major matches with CM Punk of WWE. Which brings me to another important exposure: Wrestling Observer. Dave Meltzer is by my understanding one of the most respected wrestling commentators and he has given ROH a lot of exposure with the 5star-match "awards". ROH has been lucky with it's wrestlers having interesting careers outside their small rings and having great collaborators like Dragongate and Noah at the right time. Anyone seriously interested in wrestling, is bound to want to see what all these internet fans are hyping about and the first Indie wrestling name they will probably run into is probably ROH...

Rell

Reaction score
Another huge reason why Ring Of Honor is successful was its distribution through RF video, as most of you know RF Video distributed ECW video's before the company folded.

flo23

Reaction score
Most of you know that I'm a huge Ring Of Honor fan. I wasn't much of an independent wrestling fan until I started watching ROH, I was so impressed by the ability of these guys, it totally changed my my views on wrestling. There is various independent wrestling promotions that are very good from PWG to IWS, which brings me to the question, in just five years (2002-present) why has ROH been so successful? Why has ROH been able to go to the UK, and Japan? Why has ROH reached PPV while other independent promotions that have been around longer can hardly draw 100 fans into a basketball gym? Call me crazy but I think one of the reasons why ROH is so successful is....TNA. As we all know ROH and TNA has shared talent in the past. Some of the best TNA superstars have came from ROH, Homicide, AJ Styles, Samoa Joe, Jay Lethal, Alex Shelley etc. I truly believe the exposure Total Nonstop Action Wrestling gave guys like Styles and Low-Ki has helped in the success of Ring Of Honor. What do you guys think.

im not saying your wrong but ROH was big before TNA gave those guys exposure. you wanna know why ROH is succesful? its becuase of Gabe. Gabe is the ROH booker who worked for ECW and learned from heyman. the card that helped ROh was in my opinion was Joe vs Kobashi. it was the show that helped them make a profit becuase they split from RF Video after a few years and ROH hadnt made a profit until Joe vs Kobashi and got more viewers. just as long as they dont change they will always be succesful and one day they will be bigger then WWE.