Why does

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Kaedon

Reaction score
Why the fuck do so many people have a hard on for the "Attitude Era"? I mean other than DX, Austin, Rock, and Taker, it was the shits. I know this has been done to death, but now its my turn, you tell me what was so great about 1997-2001 as compared to now....:tongue5:

monkeystyle

Reaction score
One of the biggest differences I find bertween now and then is during the attitude era everybody had a feud or storyline going on. Random meaningless matches were less frequent and if somehow you weren't a fan of the big names your favourite wrestler was still likely doing something you could follow.

Now it seems that unless you're a top star you're just in random matches until they release them for not catching on with the crowd. Which is the companies own fault.

The wrestling was no better. Short matches etc, but again, at least the five minute match meant something as opposed to being filler between the next John Cena match/promo.

Jabroni900

Reaction score
# - Everyone had an angle, the mid card and lower card were incredibly over.

# - It tapped into a 90's culture.

# - Main eventers were allowed to adlib on the mic, had general freedom of expression.

# - The 'war' with WCW Nitro created a cult gang like feel.

# - Stable feuds.

# - Wrestling was cool back then.

This was mainly 1997-1999, I dont consider 2000 or 2001 to be part of the Attitude Era.

Kaedon

Reaction score
Yeah, the undercarders were banging mae young, getting their penis chopped off, or having their valet involved an abortion angle. Thats really something you want to see?

And creative freedom? The attitude era is when Vince started having the writers script promos.

Jabroni900

Reaction score
Yeah, the undercarders were banging mae young, getting their penis chopped off, or having their valet involved an abortion angle. Thats really something you want to see?

And creative freedom? The attitude era is when Vince started having the writers script promos.

As opposed to Katie Vick, a Bastard son angle that went nowhere, a guy that eats worms, live sex celebrations, and a midget leprechaun.

I never said the undercard were great I said they were over, if you wanted great undercard you would go watch Nitro, if you wanted great main eventers you would watch Raw, is that so hard to understand?

The Attitude Era wasnt perfect, but the product was flat out better than today, since they have no competition they dont have to exert such effort into their programming, what the hell else are you going to watch?

monkeystyle

Reaction score

Congratulations. You picked three things that were terrible. I can do that for any wrestling era too.

MikeRaw

It wasn;t shits other than Austin, Rock, etc.
Firstly, like MS said, there were many more feuds than there currently are, and the ones that were the lower card feuds, kept you entertained and into the characters. Nowadays, noone gives a fuck about the lower card guys, whereas then, they would be pushed appropriately.

Secondly, it was fresh. It was rare to see people mooning you, or wearing a thong, or giving you the finger, or slapping their boss on tv before that, and the attitude era came along, and introduced it to us.

Thirdly, and this kind of plays off the previous point, but you say stuff like the things that happened back then weren't new and exciting. Well, part of why we loved the attitude era WHILE it was here, was that there was endless new ideas. Hell In A Cell, Iron Man, Inferno match, ladder matches and tlc matches were all either created or brought to the spotlight during this time.

Thus, we love the 'tude era

Kaedon

Reaction score
Ok i will list all of the shit angles that went down

Mae young and the hand
Marlinas Miscarriage
Freakdust
Vals Peepee
The Brawl 4 All
50,000 stables for no reason
Kennel In A Cell
The Mean Street Possee
Drunk Hawk
Sable
"The New" tag teams (Rockers, LOD, Midnight Express)
Kane's 5 second title reign
The ICP
Steve Blackman
The Hardcore Division
Taker/Bossman HIAC
Nicole Bass
King Billy
Test
Moolah winning the Womens Title

would you like me to go on?

MikeRaw

Ok i will list all of the shit angles that went down
Ok, and for each, I will name something related to it, that is equally as bad, from this era....

Mae young and the hand..........
Triple H and female fans
Marlinas Miscarriage............
Litas miscarrige
Freakdust......
Golddust returning
Vals Peepee.........
50,000 stables for no reason........
0 stables
Kennel In A Cell......
A lose your hair match
Drunk Hawk..........
Heidenreich
Sable.........
How is that bad? But nowadays there are tons of bimbos as well.
"The New" tag teams (Rockers, LOD, Midnight Express).........
How is that bad?
Kane's 5 second title reign..........
Kanes 0 title reigns
The ICP.....
Mexicools
Steve Blackman.......
Mike Knox
The Hardcore Division......
The new ecw
King Billy.....
Viscera
Mike Knox
Moolah winning the Womens Title...
Hornswoggle winning IC title, and being a son of Vince, then Finlay.

would you like me to go on?

That, my friend, is up to you.

Kaedon

Reaction score
Yeah, Im not saying everything is great NOW, but to sit there and opine and go on and on about how it was the best ever is complete crap. And how were the "new" tag teams bad? They were shitting on what those tag teams did for the business, and dont get me started on how the Hardcore division fucked shat on the business

Jabroni900

Reaction score
Yeah, Im not saying everything is great NOW, but to sit there and opine and go on and on about how it was the best ever is complete crap. And how were the "new" tag teams bad? They were shitting on what those tag teams did for the business, and dont get me started on how the Hardcore division fucked shat on the business

Who are 'these' people,? they sound unintelligent or young.

The Attitude Era was a weapon used to destroy the competition. What would you rather have happened? the WWF continue like its 1995 and go out off buisness? WCW would have destroyed them in a year and they almost did.

MikeRaw

^Ya, but you're missing the point.
You're right, there were some bad things about the Attitude Era, but there were equally bad things in this current era.
So let's say that both had good and bad parts.
The bad parts are a wash, because both eras had equally bad parts...
But the good int he Attitude Era was much better than the good in the current era.

Bad was bad in both, but the good (Rock, Austin, Hart, McMahon, DX, WCW vs WWF, Y2J, NwO, etc) was better than the current good (Cena, Batista, HBK, Rey, Oldass HHH, Orton, etc)

Kaedon

Reaction score
Nah im not missing the point. I made the point. The point is the Attidude Era wasnt that great and definitely wasnt so much better than any other era

MikeRaw

You didn't make a point, you made an opinion.
But you were trying to point out all kind of bad things in the attitude era, even going as far as to compile a list, and then you completely missed to add anything abou tthe current era. I responded with a more than appropriate list of bad stuff thats happened after the attitude era.

Fact:
Both eras had bad moments

Opinion:
One was better than the other

It just depends on which "good" parts of each era you liked better.
I prefer the good from the Attitude era, and so do most people, but you can't tell them definitively that this era is better than that era, and they should stop saying that era was so great. It just depends on what you like, and you asked, in your first post, why people think it was so great back then, so in my first post, I gave you three good reasons.

Wrestling Station

1- Vince was brought up the table more often and was more known to be the Chairman of the company (as he was just known as an announcer before the attitude era).

2- More stunts (that actually convince you or being realistic rather than the new jeff stunts nowadays).

3- The storylines had more depth and thoughts (some of the storylines these days had this as well but less frequent than before).

4- No Cena :shifty: