Why does ADR struggle to get reactions?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Crayo

The Boss
Reaction score
Website
wweforums.net
2ea899e525c068d234c723fa8d8619fa.jpg

This won't be a popular thread I don't think.

Alberto Del Rio has one of the greatest looks in wrestling, he is fantastic in the ring, he has wrestling blood in his family, he received one of the biggest pushes in history, but he simply can not get the crowd to be interested in him it seems. He's not even bad on the mic for someone who's native language isn't English. So why?

As a heel it was embarrassing. He was handed so much success, but no one seemingly wanted to make noise for him, and thus it always ended in the same way. All of us blamed his gimmick -- which was admittedly awful -- and that a face turn would do wonders for his career. Fast-track to his face turn, and things are looking great. The normal reaction that occurs after face turns come into flow (good reactions), and he was in cities that favoured him, but it didn't last long.

Now WWE actually ask the crowd to chant "Riooooooooooooo" with Ricardo Rodriguez during the entrance when RAW is airing commercials, and that's never a good sign. After that entrance bit, the crowd are going silent, and I don't know why. They do the same for Sheamus, but not for Cena/Orton/Jericho or Rock. I suppose those are much bigger names with more history, but surely the hear and now is what is important? Why can't ADR get over? What is he doing wrong if anything? I'm thoroughly entertained by him most of the time, and I know a lot more people on here are too, but why is it only a minority of the IWC that appreciate him?

Discuss.

Cloud

Champion
Reaction score
Stumps me as well that one. Cant for the life of me see why he isnt popular.

Senhor Perfect

Bulletproof
Reaction score
He gets the si chant going pretty good. The crowds recently haven't been great though.

CrayJ Lee

Champion
Reaction score
Website
bewitchingbennett.tumblr.com
I perceived that he was getting more backing due to the face change. Personally I think he makes a great face and I'm enjoying his current character change. I think it suits him better than the heel gimmick he had in the past.

Swift

Alien Princess
Banned
Reaction score
He's not very charismatic, like most of the current roster...

AnnaLove

Jobber
Reaction score
He isn't charismatic on the mic, which makes him less appealing to the current audience. As hard as he tries, and you know he tries as hard as he can, but he isn't able to take the crowd with him.

Crayo

The Boss
Reaction score
Website
wweforums.net
geekgoddess said:
I perceived that he was getting more backing due to the face change. Personally I think he makes a great face and I'm enjoying his current character change. I think it suits him better than the heel gimmick he had in the past.

He was in the post-turn phase, but now he doesn't get anything. I prefer his face character too, and I'm just baffled as to why he can't seemingly get backing from the crowd as a heel or a face.

Snowman1

Chillin' with the snowmies.
Reaction score
Think it all comes down to the Zeb angle not really drawing heat and ADR not really doing much as a part of it. He's just going out and squashing random guys mostly.

Hopefully they get it right at ER or Summerslam and ADR faces Mark Henry. If he can't get over after feuding with WSM, what will?

Lockard 23

The WWF/E Guru
Reaction score
As said, it's probably the current angle more than anything, although even considering, Ricardo Rodriguez seems more loved than Del Rio does. There's probably an unwritten rule somewhere (or perhaps it's just common sense) that says your manager is supposed to be used to get you more sympathy or heat, but if they actually become more beloved or despised than you, it's kind of a problem. That's why this Del Rio/Swagger feud is pretty bad - their managers are more over than they are. The biggest heat Swagger has gotten so far was attacking Ricardo Rodriguez. (Same applies to Big Show earlier this year.)

CrayJ Lee

Champion
Reaction score
Website
bewitchingbennett.tumblr.com
Crayo said:
He was in the post-turn phase, but now he doesn't get anything. I prefer his face character too, and I'm just baffled as to why he can't seemingly get backing from the crowd as a heel or a face.

I'm not real sure either. Maybe they don't buy into his work on the mic as much as they should.

seabs

Walking the King’s Road
Reaction score
What is his character? I haven't watched much recently but as far as I can tell it's a Mexican rich guy who fights for the american dream
Why is he hating swagger? Well Jack hates immigrants, well Zeb says he does Jack just nods.
Why should I care? Urmmm I shouldn't care about ADR winning or Jack losing because neither of these guys I hate I want to see Zeb get dropped not Jack.

Reactions: Snowman1

Dolph'sZiggler

Biggest self-mark since Bret Hart
Reaction score
I thought he was getting good reactions as a face until recently. I blame Swagger :adr:

Leo C

Backlund Mark
Reaction score
RR being apparently more liked could be part of it, but yeah the angle could be the problem. I enjoy it but it's getting repetitive. Plus, I'm pretty sure that if they built him well instead of giving him a big push off the bat he'd be over by now.

Swift

Alien Princess
Banned
Reaction score
The problem with a lot of the current roster is that they're just not very charismatic, they just don't have that "Superstar" feel. Even if they have the look, decent mic skills, decent wrestling skills, etc.. all that isn't going to matter when you can't captivate the crowd.