Why did WWE do what they did in the World Title match? *Spoilers*

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Prodigy

Banned
Reaction score
I'm sure most of you are aware that Daniel Bryan lost his World Title in a joke of a match to Sheamus at Wrestlemania, the match lasted just 18 seconds and I knew as soon Bryan kissed AJ he was done for, just predictable WWE booking.

So now the PPV is over, I'm still sat here wondering why WWE did what they did. Rumors were that WWE wanted to break the record for the shortest match/shortest title match in Mania history, but that failed so what have WWE actually gained from it? The way I see it, not only have both Daniel Bryan and Sheamus been shat on, but so has the World Heavyweight Championship and it's legacy. Sure, David Arquette winning the title was pretty bad, but to have such a prestigious title like that change hands in the manner it did on the grandest stage of them is a joke. If they wanted to do what they did in a title match, then why not have it happen in the Rhodes vs Big Show match, because the way the whole thing was booked now makes the IC Title look more prestigious and meaningful than the WHC.

I do feel sorry for both guys as well, after weeks of PR interviews where both commented on the bump of their match at Mania last year and also them joking about it being bumped this year, it more a less was bumped. I really thought these guys could put on a decent match and at a PUSH contend for MOTN.

So what are WWE's reasons for doing this? It barely made Sheamus look better and it just made your past Champ look like a Chump. I really don't see much good coming of this and was left dissapointed.

chefboyardee

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Favorite Wrestler
briscoebros
Favorite Wrestler
damiensandow
Favorite Wrestler
nxt
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
it made no fucking sense.it left a horrible taste in my mouth that never washed out the rest of the ppv.they gave a match nobody cared about like kane vs orton like 20 minutes while their title match couldnt get 20 seconds?i really felt bad for bryan.i knew he wasnt gonna win but fuck if he didnt deserve to put his awesome skills on display in front of nearly 80,000 people.on another note by god was he over.did you see all the yes signs and i loved the crowd bringing back the daniel bryan chant during the kane/orton snoozefest.

Chriss

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
austinaries2
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
WWE Failing big time. Daniel Bryan, the best wrestler they currently have on roster and they let him loose in 18 seconds. Last year, WHC was defended in the opening of Wrestlemania in the last match of Edge and this year the WHC match lasted 18 seconds? Give me a break!

I've been thinking about why WWE did this the entire day. Were they looking to make Sheamus look good? Were they looking to punish Danielson for something? I don't know but whatever the reason is, can't be that bad to let two guys with this amount of talent to have an 18 second WHC match at WRESTLEMANIA. WRESTLEMANIA DAMMNIT! That dancing wannabe of a wrestler Brodus Clay and his stupid momma dance get more air time than the match that should be one of main events? Even Russo wouldn't do this.
:RUSSO:

TheOneKnownAsFetter

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole
Meh Daniel Bryan wasn't a good or believable champion, plain and simple. He got squashed cause apparently now Hunter is high strong on Sheamus, after letting him win the Royal Rumble, and this whole feud leading up to Mania. It sucks for both guys, but what can you do? We don't know if Daniel Bryan might of been in the dog house, or said something to piss off the brass, who knows. I know it must suck for someone to come up to you at the E's biggest PPV and tell you you're losing your belt in just 18 seconds. I mean does this make Sheamus look like a powerhouse, maybe trying to build him up to be one of the best Main Eventers?

Chriss

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
austinaries2
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Meh Daniel Bryan wasn't a good or believable champion, plain and simple. He got squashed cause apparently now Hunter is high strong on Sheamus, after letting him win the Royal Rumble, and this whole feud leading up to Mania. It sucks for both guys, but what can you do? We don't know if Daniel Bryan might of been in the dog house, or said something to piss off the brass, who knows. I know it must suck for someone to come up to you at the E's biggest PPV and tell you you're losing your belt in just 18 seconds. I mean does this make Sheamus look like a powerhouse, maybe trying to build him up to be one of the best Main Eventers?

No, Sheamus is too over.

Another thing that sucks. Danielson turned heel after he won the title. Why? If the guy doesn't get a reaction you make him turn heel? NO! Make him the unstoppable one. He would make a career on being the head-kicking machine. Just imagine Bryan defending his title every week, making his oponents tap, kick their heads off and do such things. Would be awesome but no. WWE makes him a complete bitch that hides behind his fake GF.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
I read they wanted to set another record on that night but the bell keeper messed up. The bell keeper wrong the bell before the kss over after, which stopped them from breaking the Kane and Chavo record for fasted mania win,

Killz

Reaction score
It could be as simple as time constraints leading to management wanting to kick start the crowd early on knowing they don't have MITB spot-fest to liven then up? People like the unexpected. Whilst it's a shame they didn't get the match you hardly watch Wrestlemania these days for a series of clinics, you watch it knowing there'll be pop stars singing, celebrities showing up and segments like the Brodus Clay segment. There are 11/12 other PPV's a year for a card of wrestling matches so WM is arguably the perfect time to pull a stunt like this. The crowd popped didn't they? 90% of the crowd were clearly pro-the victory, only us bitter internet fans seem to be hating :p

Incidentally I love D-Bry and Sheamus and wanted them to get 10-15 minutes on the big stage. Would I be happy with a brutal 25 minute gimmick rematch at Extreme Rules though? Sure, that'd take the pain away.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
I was serious last week when I said they should have had the GM make a shocking announcement that he was consolidating Kane/Orton and Sheamus/Bryan into a fatal 4 way for the belt last Monday during their tag match brawl. Orton was not being cocky when he told reporters he and Kane were more important than the title match. People took it that way, but I took it as being honest as the two men are more over and established, plus they had gotten more screen time. If they did a 4 way they could have solved a lot of problems

Killz

Reaction score
Ah fair enough. I heard there were Daniel Bryan chants and things later in the night? Still, the more instances where people pop for finishes like that the more often we're likely to see them, especially when there's nothing else to heat up the crowd early in the card.

Killz

Reaction score
That's pretty cool. The good news remains that at least Bryan was there and at this early stage of his WWE career that probably means quite a lot. He's not a wrestling rookie but he's a WWE rookie pretty much so there should be plenty of character development to come over the next couple of years and maybe a few more moments worthy of his wrestling talents.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Only way they can make this into a positive is if they have Bryan become a ruthless heel after this after he blames this all on AJ and loses his mind while ditching the cowardly character. Besides that they fucked him for a while with this. You can't do this to a world champion at wrestlemania and think he can easily recover from it just like that. And considering the horrible state the heels in WWE are at this really just hurts it even more and I have no idea why they are so against having a decent heel right now.

Darth Shizzel

Reaction score
Because why they are catering to kids they want to have heroes against villains the hero always win well most of the time unless they become the bad guy or some other alternate universe things are reversed or something like that.

Smartmark

The opposite of everyone you have ever known
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
mickiejames2
Favorite Wrestler
mickfoley
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
The match could have stolen the show, but they fucked up bigtime.

On a sidenote. David Arquette was an awesome champion! :D