Who was the bigger star?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Bigger Star

• Total voters
Reaction score
It's pretty much the spirit of rasslin' to claim Hogan built or pushed a promotion to the top single-handed.

I'm not saying the guy's charisma or ability isn't that once every generation type of things, because he's definitely one of those rare guys that has that it factor that 99.9999% of wrestlers don't have. As great as I think Triple H or Harley Race were, Hogan is on another level. But the reality is Hogan was never ever going to be able to do it alone. That's just how rasslin' works.

Hogan got lured to WCW when he seemed content to ride out the acting thing with the TV show and those terrible movies. It's not like WCW suddenly shot to #1. Not many shits were given before the NWO. It wasn't even like Hogan went to Bischoff with the idea of the invasion storyline where he'd end up going heel.

Look at the caliber of talent he was surrounded by in the WWF. You still had a territorial system where they could keep bringing in these very experienced wrestlers who had name value to them. They'd build each of these guys up and eventually feed them to Hogan to work with on the rare PPV, work the road shows for the better part of a year. A huge part of Hogan's story was tied up with the great rivalry with the Heenan clan as well. Heenan was to Hogan was Mr. McMahon was to Austin.

I'm not saying anyone else really could have been plugged into Hogan's spot and you'd see the same results. He belonged at the top, as much as others might have grumbled about having to lose to him on TV or a PPV, they made loads of money because of this guy's ability to make the most of being their top guy.

McMahon and Hogan made a great team, I think that combination of work ethic and knowing what works is why the WWF got so big. Not because of just one guy. Everyone in a promotion has their place, right down to all those journeymen that filtered through the WWF from the territories.

And let's not forget the huge catalysts for the Rock n Wrestling Connection: Cyndi Lauper and Mr. T. Lauper was one of the biggest names in pop music at the time and she comes in to work an angle that leads to a match. Think about the massive ratings for MTV's WWF special, who do you think most people were tuning in for, Hogan or Cyndi Lauper when she was managing Wendi Richter against Moolah?

Mr. T was a pretty big star on the A-Team, at a time when network TV actually pulled much bigger shares of the audience than they do now. As a result of their being booked together, you then had Hogan appearing on the A-Team, huge with the demographic that the WWF wanted. You had Hogan and Mr. T being booked for Saturday Night Live, when wrestlers weren't being put on that kind of show. Cyndi Lauper had Hogan appear with her on stage at the big music awards show on TV as her body guard.

Much bigger stars were giving Hogan this mainstream media exposure, giving him a huge rub, or as with the case of Cyndi Lauper, getting involved in a non-Hogan angle to arguably set up some huge ratings coup for the WWF.

Hogan was the only guy that would have worked in that spot at the time. But making the WWF huge on his own? Too much of an exaggeration.

I'd think of him along the lines of the MVP though. It's like the Broncos without Peyton Manning. He needs those other guys to make the team work and not get killed out there. But without him, it would be a very different story.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
The man who built modern day WWE or the man who saved WWE?

I really can't decide.

WWE were on an upward turn anyway around that time, I truly believe that if everything else happened the same but Austin wasn't a part of it, WWE would of won the war.

DX vs Nation, Undertaker vs Kane, Sable as Women's champ, all way more interesting than WCW retreading old '80s rivalries like Hogan vs Savage.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Then again Goldberg was a game changer too and if he hadn't been mishandled then he could of been WCW's Stone Cold.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Then again Goldberg was a game changer too and if he hadn't been mishandled then he could of been WCW's Stone Cold.

Not sure about that. No doubt WCW dropped the ball with Goldberg, but he did have more limits than Austin, and I think over time he would have been exposed.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Exposed by what? He had time on his side, which would've only make him a better performer.

Had some pretty damned good matches even with such limited experience, even if he hurt Haku, and it takes alot to hurt an Islander.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Because the way WCW pushed him with the whole streak, the length of most of his matches, and the booking of most of his matches working to his power based was a big factor in him getting over so strong. He did what he had to do well, but I don't think he was ever an all rounder like Austin that was the difference.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Guy became a maineventer in a year and didn't look out of place.....How many people have ever done that? Rock and Brock and that's pretty good company to be in. Does it matter how he got over? I don't think so, he got over and got over HUGE.

You don't have to be the greatest in ring technician to be a star. You just have to have a ton of people give a shit about you, and pretty safe to say he did.

Also, Steve Austin had what 8 years of experience before he became WWF Champion, Goldberg had a year.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Not saying it matters how you get over, what I am saying is that to stay on top and be over for a long period you need to be a good all rounder. Yes, WCW dropped the ball with Goldberg , but if he was good enough then he would have recovered and had a long and glittering career, and I don't remember that happening.

Kiffy Lube

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Guy became a maineventer in a year and didn't look out of place.....How many people have ever done that? Rock and Brock and that's pretty good company to be in. Does it matter how he got over? I don't think so, he got over and got over HUGE.

You don't have to be the greatest in ring technician to be a star. You just have to have a ton of people give a shit about you, and pretty safe to say he did.

Also, Steve Austin had what 8 years of experience before he became WWF Champion, Goldberg had a year.

The match structure was so disorganized in WCW at that time. Hard for anybody to really improve but it was the disorganized match structure that made Goldberg/DDP Halloween Havoc so great. About the only pass I got for 'Berg.

But you are right meathead fans will tune in for terrible talent.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
The match structure was so disorganized in WCW at that time. Hard for anybody to really improve but it was the disorganized match structure that made Goldberg/DDP Halloween Havoc so great. About the only pass I got for 'Berg.

Do you think? I would say that the match structure in WWF at the time was far more disorganized than in WCW. It was from 99 onwards where things changed IMO.

Kiffy Lube

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
A lot of has to do with the outrageous contracts and commitments to huge stars that screwed up their matches most of the time. WWE's bookin' was just chaotic.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac

1378095315_laughter.gif

Also, Goldberg not being shitty under the circumstances you just described, further show just how talented he was.

FalconPunch

Reaction score
Goldberg was brilliant and a HUGE star in wrestling, for a very short period of time. Anybody who doesn't think this doesn't know what they are talking about, frankly.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Goldberg was brilliant and a HUGE star in wrestling, for a very short period of time. Anybody who doesn't think this doesn't know what they are talking about, frankly.

I don't think anyone said that so I don't know where you got that from. He was being compared to Austin and as far as talent and longevity its not even close for me.

BTW this is a Stone Cold/Hogan thread so lets stay on topic.