Who should substitute who?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

The Rated R CMStar

Ok, in the course of 3 years, WWE has lost, for different reasons, let's not say key, not even vital, but good, reliable assets in their main event, in Kurt Angle, King Booker, RVD, Chris Benoit and Chris Jericho. To any company that is a big loss, a very big loss, but looking at the great developmental system of WWE, constantly there are new faces being called up, but from all of them, who has what it takes to actually substitute their roles?

Kurt Angle: His role in WWE has been changed through the years. He is that technical wrestler that can also put the high speed on a match, and his character goes from pitty babyface, to funny heel, to machine to big fan favorite. Who can substitute him?

Colt Cabana: It is really hard to see if Colt can take it all the way as Kurt, but he has the material. He can be technical and high speeded as well. He for sure can pull out a funny babyface, and he is a decent heel.

RVD: The always fan favorite. The guy that can passed from jobbing to main eventing without any fan complaining. Reliable draw, without getting to marquee standard, and was loved by the fans because he putted his body on the line.

Jeff Hardy: Yes, probably and odd, and old choice to be pick as a substitute of anyone, but it just fits on the RVD role. He is a draw, a fan favorite, but not achieving that main event standard. Still he could be put in a title match and nobody would complain.

King Booker: From midcard attraction to main event back to midcard and back to main event. That is Booker's career. Gold on the mic, great on the ring delivering awesome moves, especially kicks. His matches could either be amazing or really bad.

Elijah Burke: I don't know, something is him just yells Booker T. He's also gold on the mic, does awesome moves and there are not middle point with him also, either his matches are good or bad. It is also the fact that his character is great as a heel but would be also good as a face(just like the "Sucka" gimmick)

Chris Benoit: Fan favorite always, but also with the taste of a good old heel. The greatest technical wrestler in the world, but also able to work Ladder and Cage matches in an entertaining way. Fans always cheered his title search(the few times he had one).

CM Punk: The same, cheered by fans, but able to pull a great heel. For my taste one of the Top 5 technical wrestlers currently in WWE, and with his WWE experience that is saying something. As for the cheering a title hunt, just remember the time period from Vengeance to Summerslam. Even before that.

And lastly Chris Jericho, altough now a days it seems possible a return, I see in John Morrison his substitute, altough his ability to pull a face character is still to see, but seeing his heel cocky persona is similar to Jericho's one. But, it should also come to notice that from all the previews, he is the only one that actually tries to be the person he wants to "substitute". I recall one promo in ECW in which he was clearly trying to copycat Jericho and was trying to find one catchphrase the crowd reacted with. In that process he autocalled himself with 5 different names​

Montana

Good Post. Rep +

I'll throw in my 2 cents as well. First off, we should note, that Beniot/Rvd/Kurt/Booker were all kicking 40's door down, and in my opinion, thats on the downside of your career. But here's who i think will replace who.

Kurt Angle = Santino Marella.

A first guess you may think im on something, but when Angle left Marella was brought in the OVW as the one to fill his role. Angle is much more of a mat wrestler, but i think the more we see of Santino in the ring, the better his matches will be. They started him off with the fan gimmick, but he can wrestle. Give it 5 years, and you'll know what i mean.

RVD = CM Punk

Again, Kinda opposites, but very similar in a lot of ways. More kick based offense. Underground wrestlers, who rose to fame in the big leagues.

Jericho = Colt Cobana

Very Very similar now that i think about it. He's almost a guantee'd star.

Chris Beniot = Davey Richards

Now, i know Davey is in ROH, but for some reason i feel he may end in the wwe. Not only goes he have the same build, but also similar offense. Good in ring Chemistry, stiffer style. I think the wwe could use him, perhaps more than ROH.

Booker T = ?????

This is the hardest one. At first thought, it'd be Lashley, but he's missing something, and i dont feel like they are anything alike. Maybe someone like Cody Rhodes. Hard Working, Blue Collar type guy. We will see. I don't see anyone filling his role.

Rock = MVP

AUstin = Cena

Foley = J. Hardy

HHH = HHH

And then Kennedy is the next Kennedy.

KenFan4life

Reaction score
Maybe Harry Smith & Santino Marella can both join up and become a super foreign heel tagteam, so that they'd substitute for La'Resistance.

and maybe RandyOrton can Substitute for the ROCK since they're both 3rd generation superstars,so that must mean Orton's as entertaining as Rocky.

and some black guy with predator hair can fill in for booker t
and then Khali can fill in for benoit considering that they're both intimitading.

Reaction score
Rep to CMS and Montana....I gotta think about this one so will be back with my ideas

Switchy

Reaction score
Booker T = MVP
I disagree with all the people who say MVP is the next Rock because I personally think The Rock is somewhat irreplacable but MVP will still be up there with the likes of him but I can't see him being as successful nsd that's why I chose Booker instead. They've both had similair gimmicks with the sorta chicken shit heel type thing and have both been spectacular at it. I can see MVP being far more successful than Booker (Just in WWE, I'm not on about WCW) and I like how WWE are slowly beuilding him upto be a star rather than throwing him straight in the deep end.

Kevin Thorn = Undetaker
Yes, Undertaker is irreplacable but I think Thorn could just about fill his shoes. The two have different gimmicks a little so it would exactpy be replacing and I could see Thorn sorta being a bit like the Undertaker of old. I can see it happening but WWE look like they don't want to push him decently anytime soon so I think plans of that could be in jeopardy if WWE don't act fast. I would personally move Thorn to Raw so he could showcase his talent or I could even see him go to SD! and have a feud with 'Taker which could make him more over with te fans rather than him being the guy who kept losing to Stevie Richards.

Matt Hardy = Chris Benoit
I am quite surprised tis one hasn't come up but anyway to the point I think Hardy canbe even bigger than Benoit was. Benoit was better in the ring than Hardy is now, no doubt but he wasn't entertaining on the mic and thy were both fan favourites. Hardy is still improving and even if he isn't perfect on the mic or in the ring he still has plenty of room for improvement and I can see him getting several midcard title runs and possibly even a world title one day.

Jeff Hardy = RVD
I gotta agree with CMS on this one. Both men are/were great IC Champs or contenders and are also loved by the crowd for thier ability to put their bodies on the line and ability to pull off spectacular matches. I don't think Jeff will be as successful as RVD considering world title reigns but I think they are still comparable considering wrestling skill and neither man was that great on the mic either.

Mr Kennedy = Stone Cold
I see this as quite an obvious one personally since both men are great on the mic but not perfect in the ring. I still feel Kennedy has a lot to prove to fill SCSA's shoes and I think a good face run but I think that should be easy considering the reactions he gets as a heel. Knnedy is another person who also has plenty of time to improve and I think it's only a matter of time before he can be a worthy name for someone to fill Austin's shoes.

CM Punk = HBK
Now this is quite an odd one for me to describe. Both men are fantastic in the ring and both are ok on the mic but I would say CM Punk still needs a lot of improving on that side of things and considering HBK doesn't have that long left CM Punk would be the man to fill his shoes. They are both great faces and I know HBK can be a good heelI havne;'t seen Punk as a heel so I wouldn't know but I find that they are both similair talent.

Great One

Awesome thread, I thought of making this a little while ago, I disagree with a few though, which Montana cleared up. Mainly the Kurt Angle = Santino Marella because damn... that's really true. And you know... the guy I would compare CM Punk to would have to be no other than Hogan. Hogan gave people to get behind with the whole 'eat your vitamins and say your prayers' and CM Punk the 'never do drugs' I just think he is going to get ridiculously over in a couple years and just take that spot and be booked as a HUGE underdog (as he already is being booked as). I would say Benoit = Brent Albright, but yeah, like Montana's he's not in the WWE atm, so probably Harry Smith would fit better. MVP (or Orton) is definitely The Rock, and Cena, Austin. I can see Orton taking the HHH role, but much later. As well John Morrison hopefully taking the Jericho role if things play out right and he keeps getting better. Hell, he might have already taken it, Jericho is coming back, but it's hard to say how close to the same he would actually be now.

Fatal 55

Reaction score
At first i fought "Santino Marella" as Kurt Angle... WTF! But after some thinking, it kinda fits... Just maybe not on RaW because personnaly i don't believe Raw produces stars as well as the other 2!

Any body see this as a possibility...

John Morrison > Shawn Michaels

Doesn't look like anybody mentioned him... I always wanted these two to feud! Especially in 06/07 Mania Time. Morrison has the same kind of style/look/background as well being the stronger out of a tag-team. (MNM-Rockers). He' slowly getting better & better in the ring & after a program or two with a "Main Player" such as Triple H, Taker or Michaels himself could lift him up to the higher level. A few years ago i would've said Jeff Hardy, but since then he's slown down a lot & the charisma is most certainly isn't there!

phantomgerald

Yeah I think Kurt Angle= Santino Marella.

CMS's post I think alot of it had to do with how the wrestlers look, not how they wrestle. Booker and Burke are both black and have braids, RVD and Hardy both have long hair, and Jericho and Morrison are both blonde, long hair and wear pants.

I agree with most of Montana's post, but Foley=Hardy? True both are fan favourites, but Foley can be heel, Jeff has yet to prove us he could be both hated and loved. I can't think of anyone who can be the next Foley, but considering that Foley is always returning, I don't think a next Foley is needed.

MTG

Reaction score
Santino marella=Eddie guerrero:
Now i might get a bit of heat for this but let me clear it up. These two were both fucking amazing on the mic and they both played their role well. Eddie could get you to hate him one second and love you the next, same with santino, the both have alot of charisma and if Santino improved a bit in the ring he could maybe be the next eddie.

motley215

Reaction score
omg santino is just plane awful
hes gonna be a jobber soon hes too small and doesnt have enough tallent to make it im sorry but its ture

wwe_fanatic

Reaction score
Nic epost CMS.

The Rock = MVP

I think MVP is the closest you'll get to the next People's Champ because he has that style and factor about him that makes him funny and as a heel, some people like him. I'd like to see how he'll fair as a heel though. I'd say in 2 years (max.) MVP will be World Champ and the The Rock Part II is in the making.

Judge Dredd

Reaction score
May i say first it's definitely a good interesting post...however.

I hope the substitution ideology doesn't flow through the WWE system. This is because no one should have to be a sub to keep audiences interested and entertained. Booker T wasn't a sub for anyone, RVD, Angle etc... all these guys were not subs, so why should the next generation be?

All these guys were unique, in fact just about every successful superstar is unique in there own way. Now i can understand if what you all are saying in words of 'likeness' but actual subtitution to fill the void should never happen. I think you all know this but i felt it just needed to be said.
So don't knock this post without understanding where i'm coming from.

wwe_fanatic

Reaction score
I guess it's more the fact that they have what it takes to be the next Stone Cold, The Rock etc. rather than replacing them. I get where you're coming from and it's like you said, Booker, Angle, RVD didn't fill anyone else's shoes rather than making new ones but with the potential of the roster, it's that they can make it that big.

The Rated R CMStar

No, it has influence on how they look but it is not completely that. See, with RVD and Hardy, what makes them so similar is the thing that they are ridicously over, even more than some main eventers, and still what they get, if they are lucky, is the IC Title. Also, why do they are over? The fact that they put their bodies on the line.

And with Burke and Booker. Remember Harlem Heat? You can't tell me Burke's roll with the New Breed didn't had similarities with that (expect the calling Hogan smurf thing).