Who should BJ Penn face next?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Switchy

Reaction score
Interesting read and I personally would like to see Penn/Maynard (I mean yeah, Maynard isn't gonna win in a million years, but he'll do a far better job than Edgar) and it also gives Penn more time to build himself up for the inevitable third bout with GSP.

I know really you should take it one fight at a time but when you dominate the division in the manner Penn is, you gotta focus on the big target, and with enough preperation I beleive he can push GSP to his limits (but I still reckon GSP will win :p).

A fight with Aldo is a no-go as far as I'm concerned. Yes, Aldo is an amazing talent in WEC's FW division but I think there is a huge gulf of talent from UFC's 155lb'ers to WEC's 145lb'ers and despite his great talent, Penn is just too good for anyone in WEC. Yeah, the fight is a possibilty, but I think a bad loss to Penn would make both Aldo and WEC look pretty minor compared to UFC competitors and that's not good for business.

So imo, Penn should fight Maynard, and then GSP but after writing all this I just realised, if Penn lost a third time to GSP then what is left for him? He could just dominate the LW division for another 2 years or he might just give up and retire as he would have achieved all he could within his power so I dunno really.

As for your article as a whole, I would go more opinion based because it seems to be dominated by facts about all the potential opponents but nothing about what you think. No dubt, it's great for your first try bt I think you should try and make it "your article" rather than just a generic article about MMA.

Wordlife

great article!

Personally I'd love to see him fight GSP or Aldo

They seem to be the only two legit fighters that Penn might actually lose to. I'm not really a huge fan of Penn, but damn can he fight, sure as hell manhandled Sanchez this past Saturday.

phantomgerald

Interesting read and I personally would like to see Penn/Maynard (I mean yeah, Maynard isn't gonna win in a million years, but he'll do a far better job than Edgar) and it also gives Penn more time to build himself up for the inevitable third bout with GSP.

I know really you should take it one fight at a time but when you dominate the division in the manner Penn is, you gotta focus on the big target, and with enough preperation I beleive he can push GSP to his limits (but I still reckon GSP will win :p).

A fight with Aldo is a no-go as far as I'm concerned. Yes, Aldo is an amazing talent in WEC's FW division but I think there is a huge gulf of talent from UFC's 155lb'ers to WEC's 145lb'ers and despite his great talent, Penn is just too good for anyone in WEC. Yeah, the fight is a possibilty, but I think a bad loss to Penn would make both Aldo and WEC look pretty minor compared to UFC competitors and that's not good for business.

So imo, Penn should fight Maynard, and then GSP but after writing all this I just realised, if Penn lost a third time to GSP then what is left for him? He could just dominate the LW division for another 2 years or he might just give up and retire as he would have achieved all he could within his power so I dunno really.

As for your article as a whole, I would go more opinion based because it seems to be dominated by facts about all the potential opponents but nothing about what you think. No dubt, it's great for your first try bt I think you should try and make it "your article" rather than just a generic article about MMA.

I agree. Which is why, after further thought, i think he should move into Welterweight and slowly climb up the ranks. GSP is rumoured to be bulking up to move to Middleweight, so Penn should maybe just fight Jon Fitch, Koscheck, Anthony Johnson and Dan Hardy and other top 10 fighters first, and if he can hold his own, he should wait till GSP moves up and vacates his belt before making an attempt for it.

As for my writing, I understand what you're saying. I purposely made sure that it did not come across as an opinion piece because I thought that magazines don't really do that. I will take your words into consideration for my next article.

Switchy

Reaction score
Well I'm not saying make it all opinion because that would just defeat the object of making an "article" but you just gotta find a good balance between the two. Like you gotta inform the readers about what is going on and what could happen and give some background info of course like you are doing but you gotta add the third dimension to it by adding your perspective on the subject. Like just a little comment saying "This would be a great fight" or "Dana really screwed up putting those two against each other" is a lot more than saying "Fighter A is rumoured to fight Fighter B in mid-2010" or "Fighter C beat Fighter D by Knockout".

Hope that makes sense (it probably doesn't as I always seem to turn sentences into paragraphs chatting about crap) but it's all good, you are just starting out and are just looking for the writing style that suits you and I hope my advice helps.

EDIT: Penn fighting other WW's would be good, kinda like A. Silva has beend doing. Penn Vs Fitch would be interesting (but boring as fuck knowing Fitch), Anthony Johnson and Dan Hardy would just be like the typical fights we are used to seeing Penn in at lightweight imo (Dan Hardy is still Godly though :p) and I dunno how Koscheck would fare tbh but Penn would still win in the end.

But FOTY cantidate would deifnately be Penn Vs Baroni (only kidding, we all know Dan Hardy gets that award no matter who he faces :p)