Who are the best on-screen villains in history?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Stopspot

Now I’m a big, fat dynamo!
Reaction score
For me, I'd say Nolan's Joker is without question the GOAT villain. He embodies raw evil in a way that no other movie villain does (that I know of.) Most villains have their goal or motivation, but the Joker is just evil, pure and simple. Add to this the thematic universality of chaos and anarchy, the relevance to the political climate at the time the movie was made, the imagery of the purple suit and the makeup, and fact that Ledger done a brilliant job acting him and Nolan done a brilliant job writing/directing him, and it's pretty difficult to consider any other villain even in the Joker's league. Jack Nicholson's Joker was great and truer to comics, but from a technical standpoint, he doesn't really compare to Nolan/Ledger's.
Good points. But wouldn't some kind of emotional investment help elevate him even more?

In my opinion the best villains are the ones that you can understand why they are villains. You see how in their minds they are justifying their actions. The joker is a great villain but there is no method to his madness (which is what draws a lot of people to him).

Just my thoughts from reading your post

seabs

Walking the King’s Road
Reaction score
Also the greatest portrayal of the Joker I've seen is John DiMaggio in Under The Red Hood, the voice work was incredible in that.

Crayo

The Boss
Reaction score
Website
wweforums.net
They touched on the emotional side when Joker was telling stories regarding his scars. His father was an abusive drunk and his mother was one who constantly abandoned him and took the father's side. You can tell his childhood was the cause of the madness, but you don't always have to be so emotionally involved with a villain. I much prefer just knowing he had a fucked up past somehow which turned him into this crazy genius. The less you know the better in some cases.

Stopspot

Reaction score
It might just be me but I prefer characters were you can be a bit emotionally invested. Like Bane. We know why he is the way he is (born in a prison, forced to serve his father's sentence) you understand why he wants to watch the world burn. He has been wronged since birth and raised in society's dark side. Or Ra's Al Ghul who started off as an idealist out to save the world but who was corrupted by the darkness he was fighting and is now out to save it by destroying it.

I love the Joker character though.

Reactions: Tumbas' #1 Fan

Stopspot

Reaction score
Oooh I love that Joker. DiMaggio did him well.

Crayo

The Boss
Reaction score
Website
wweforums.net
"They touched on the emotional side when Joker was telling stories regarding his scars. His father was an abusive drunk and his mother was one who constantly abandoned him and took the father's side. You can tell his childhood was the cause of the madness"

Joker doesn't warrant a sob-story. You're not really meant to feel sorry for The Joker as he connects with the audience in a much better way - sheer entertainment. Ask 100,000 Batman fans who their favourite villain from Nolan's sequal was, I guarantee over 80% will say Joker. Nolan wrote him perfectly in terms of having him connect with the audience, and was one of the biggest draws to that movie (if not the biggest).

Stopspot

Reaction score
You're one of few Batman fans I have seen who isn't a fan of DiMaggio's Joker.

A vast majority of the fanbase from the Animated series have thrown their chips in with DiMaggio since Hammil retired from voicing Joker.

Laura

The Showoff
Reaction score
Good points. But wouldn't some kind of emotional investment help elevate him even more?

In my opinion the best villains are the ones that you can understand why they are villains. You see how in their minds they are justifying their actions. The joker is a great villain but there is no method to his madness (which is what draws a lot of people to him).

Just my thoughts from reading your post

Actually, I think emotion would've only been detrimental to the Joker. The key to his epicness was the ambiguity. We don't know his name, we don't know his back story. He's not a man, he's a symbol - even more so than Batman. The worst thing they could've done would be to humanize him, IMO. If he was human, he wouldn't seem so strong, so infallible. It's that strength that makes him great. He's a villain that you truly believe might actually win in the end (and kind of does.)

Reactions: Crayo

Crayo

The Boss
Reaction score
Website
wweforums.net
Actually, I think emotion would've only been detrimental to the Joker. The key to his epicness was the ambiguity. We don't know his name, we don't know his back story. He's not a man, he's a symbol - even more so than Batman. The worst thing they could've done would be to humanize him, IMO. If he was human, he wouldn't seem so strong, so infallible. It's that strength that makes him great. He's a villain that you truly believe might actually win in the end (and kind of does.)
Damn you know you're stuff. Another great post.

Reactions: Laura

Stopspot

Reaction score
The Joker has been humanized for a long time actually. Who he was before he was joker and what he did is well known in the comics and has in no ways been negative on the character.

But I'll agree that Nolan's interpretation and lack of emotional investment did make for some great reactions. Watching Dark Knight the first time he was a blast. But the second time around I was trying to look more into the character and what drives it (I tend to do that) and found that I had surprisingly little to go with with this joker. It makes him interesting but I would have liked some kind of knowledge of the catalyst that made him who he is.