Whitney Houston: 1 year later

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

We Are Legion

║▌║█║▌||| ║▌║▌█ ║█║║▌||
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
As we all remember last year, Whitney Houston was found dead on February 11, 2012 after what seemed like a good long night of drug-binging and other washed-up celebrity hotel shenanigans.

And as you may remember, the tragedy took the media by storm, particularly coming on the eve of the Grammy Awards.

Tonight the Grammy Awards takes place once again, and as of yet, no high-profile suicides have been accounted for. But that has not stopped the media from making room in their busy schedule of honoring the greats of the music industry to remind us all of what a troubled soul this rich and famous junkie was.

Frankly, I think everything about the lives of celebrities is completely over-documented by the media because despite the best efforts of NASA landing a robot on another planet, astronomers recently finding several Earth-like planets in nearby star systems, advancements in cancer research bringing us closer to a cure every single month to the point we can almost see the light at the end of the tunnel, and several other fascinating advancements as a species that should make us marvel at our own magnificence... overall we are still much more fascinated by what Paris Hilton was wearing to a frat party or what Angelina Jolie looks like without makeup.

As much as I appreciate the talent Whitney Houston possessed and what an incredible gift she was given, I cannot see any justification for the media blowing her up to be some kind of gift from God. And I say "appreciate", because "respect" is earned when you work hard at something. I don't believe having a pretty voice is really anything anyone actually has to work to have. She probably had to work for some exposure at one point, but let's face it, was her multi-million dollar mansion and 20-car garage was probably well-worth whatever shit "hassle" she went through. It certainly bought her plenty of illegal narcotics.

So what do you think of all her perpetual posthumous ass-kissing 1 year later? Do you think she was a figure who deserves this kind of unrelenting mourning and coverage? What are your thoughts on the attention she has received at the Grammy's this year?

Mick Donalds

Banned
Reaction score
She was a crackhead who was a quitter.

The way the media deifies her is disgusting. Why when Amy Winehouse offer herself did everyone breathe a sigh of relief and say "Yes! About time!" but then act somber and morose about Whitney Houston? I cheer a little bit inside when celebrities who have all the fame and fortune in the world, who can spend a paltry, miniscule sum of their total earnings to get the best help out there, end up killing themselves and die pathetically. I smile a little, because regular people who have some legit reasons for being fucked up can't afford to stay in multi-million dollar treatment RESORTS for their problems.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
She was one of the best female singers of all time, and Bobby Brown has the male equivelent.

Sort of a musical Power Trip tag team.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
She doesn't deserver shit, she had a talent and squandered it.

A year later and I still feel the same, I didn't give a fuck then, and I don't now.

I do find it funny, that media hubs and goosip rags, were constantly treating her and Michael Jackson as punchlines for decades to get themselves some hillbilly housewive money, and then when they ultimately die, they are sad stories, that are constantly trumped out for years.

Pretty fucked up if you ask me.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score

The way the media deifies her is disgusting. Why when Amy Winehouse offer herself did everyone breathe a sigh of relief and say "Yes! About time!" but then act somber and morose about Whitney Houston? I cheer a little bit inside when celebrities who have all the fame and fortune in the world, who can spend a paltry, miniscule sum of their total earnings to get the best help out there, end up killing themselves and die pathetically. I smile a little, because regular people who have some legit reasons for being fucked up can't afford to stay in multi-million dollar treatment RESORTS for their problems.

Think your getting a bit confused, in the case of Winehouse its just that no one was really shocked, it had been coming, you only get so many chances to turn your life around. This was more out of the blue.

Both are sad stories and I can't go along with the people dismissing them as anything else. Just because they to a degree brought it on themselves, fact is their were human beings, and addiction can be very hard to kick, not least in the show biz world. Also its not like we are talking about criminals here.

Its time to leave this in the past, really hope we don't have another thread like this next year.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Showbusiness is the business where we allowed to kick you when you are down, and pretend to feel bad about it after.

I doubt I can make jokes about a plumber who was a drunk, and died because of it.

AF.

Reaction score

You are a pretty sick individual for 'cheering a little inside' when a celebrity commits suicide.

Defiant

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
thewhyats
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
I think a big part of the problem was what Legion was getting at. We all know the fate of Whinehouse and Houston as a result of the life they lived and decisions they made, but I feel one of the factors involved is what the celebrity lifestyle can do to people. The circumstances of those women's deaths is not uncommon in the entertainment industry. Is it possible part of what lead them down their paths is the effect of the media?

As Legion said, they are practically deified in their culture by the media and their fans. When these people are promoted not just as role models because they excel in their field, but as near Gods among people everyone needs to admire, and when they are pampered throughout their lives with ridiculous amounts of luxury and fame, removing a lot of the basic challenges of the human experience, is it no wonder they grow a little out of touch with reality?

Mick Donalds

Banned
Reaction score
You are a pretty sick individual for 'cheering a little inside' when a celebrity commits suicide.

Thank You. I do my best to wish these spoiled, leftist, sanctimonious, deified celebrities a lonely death.

Many of them deserve it.

AF.

Reaction score
Thank You. I do my best to wish these spoiled, leftist, sanctimonious, deified celebrities a lonely death.

Many of them deserve it.

Jealousy is my best guess.

Mick Donalds

Banned
Reaction score
Jealousy is my best guess.

Yes, jealous of people that are completely insincere and vacuous. A class of people with no spine, no principles and no real belief in anything, other than attaching themselves to whatever will garner them more money or attention. I'm hardly jealous of them. I have a good job, two degrees, a family and a comfortable financial status right now. I'm not rich, but I can go on vacation, have both my cars paid for, and have savings.

When celebrities fall from their pedestals like Lucifer did from heaven, it's a better day for the world.

*i'm not bragging. Just sharing my particular circumstances to reinforce my argument is all*

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Somebody close this thread it is getting way out of hand.

Mick Donalds

Banned
Reaction score
535900_557065040983882_519650102_n.jpg

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
LOL.

Doubt this bitch could get away from the pipe long enough to have a leftist agenda.

Blue much?

LOL.

Doubt this bitch could get away from the pipe long enough to have a leftist agenda.

Blue much?