What's the deal with Abyss's new Character

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

03mnm

Reaction score
The weeks leading up to Slammiversary we saw videos of Abyss at a mental health care facility and he was basically being pushed as being more of a psychotic monster than ever before. Saying they thought he was fixed but he wasn't.

Ok, let's fast forward to Slammiversary and iMPACT this week. We see two appearances by Abyss saving two of the babyface darlings of TNA (Kaz and AJ). Even checking on Kaz then carrying him out of the arena at Slammiversary. Is it just me or does this seem rather odd? I know they wanted him to return as a face but this isn't really the tendencies of a strong monster character. They basically took everything they pushed in those videos, fluched it down the toilet and we're back to the same Abyss we saw before he left for a while, imo anyway.

Why didn't they just have him return during the King of the Mountain match, destroy everyone in site (Nash included? Why not eh?), allow Joe to recover and win the match and then Abyss could have entered a fued with some bitter heel from that match (Roode likely) and he'd still be a face and he'd still be the psychic monster they were pushing.

I don't know, I just was rather unsatisfied with his return, based on what the videos were suggesting anyway. Anyone else have thoughts about this? I'm not really sure what was said in the discussion thread for Slammiversary about his return. Maybe I'm missing something.

Moonlight Drive

I don't like it either. Abyss ( at least to me) is supposed to be some psychotic monster, like Kane in his debut. But he seems so pathetic now, just savign the faces. Maybe they're building to some sort of mentally unstable guy who nlikes to care for all the people or something? I don't know, sometimes TNA is just plain dumb

To put it simply, the monster character is hard to work with a face

THE Brian Kendrick's Biceps

The promos implied that he would be a psychotic heel who wanted blood, not some face with a new costume. Seemed completely ridiculous to me the way he returned at Slammiversary.

GOREOwner

Reaction score
I don't like it either, they really got it wrong. Abyss shouldn't be a face or a heel, he should be a mix of Kane and Stone Cold in there peaks, being psychoatic (like Kane) and destroying everyone and anything and doing it whenever he wants (austin) - they got the gimmick completely wrong.

chessarmy

I would rather see Abyss as a heel, he is more psychotic and it works for a monster gimmick. Abyss' best days were when he was with James Mitchell, I still remember him winning the NWA World Title...that was great

KenFan4life

Reaction score
I dunno...I kind've dig tha' new "abyss-tunes"

I kind've hate that whole "Striaght-Jacket-PrisonPussy-Clothes" that he wears nowadayz...it reminds me of that movie "The 12-monkeys"

But like..ya-know, just as long as he keeps doing the whole "OMG!!!OUCH!THUMBTACKS!!!...OUCH!!!" thing then he's all cool in my book(and remember rule 1...KenFan's Stupid as Fuck..ya-heard?!)