What Movie failed to live up to hype?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses
Is there a movie that with all the hype around it or even by watching the previews that when you saw the movie you scratched your head and said man this sucks.

Here are a couple to get started.

Twilight- watched it was bored and pissed at how pussy like they made the vampires.

Titanic- best part of the movie was the credits rolling knowing I wouldn't have to watch that anymore.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 person

Joey

Reaction score
Recently? The American Hustle. Lots of hype around the starring roles and plot, but I left the theatre feeling ripped off.

Swinny

Reaction score
Just one movie? There's a new movie like that every month it seems. :p

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses
Just one movie? There's a new movie like that every month it seems. :p

It can any number number of movies

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
For me that would have been GI Joe - Retaliation
There was hype surrounding that movie? :lol:

It's hard to determine what movies didn't live up to the hype until you determine exactly what that means. If it means movies that everyone raved about but I thought sucked I would say something like The Hangover would be near the top of my list. If it's movies that failed to perform even though the studio hyped them up then John Carter immediately comes to mind. There's also movies that critics tend to love which turn out to be less than stellar, such as Joey's example of American Hustle, which I felt was overly long.

Avatar is obviously something that falls into two of these categories, so that's probably my top choice for something like this. What a piece of garbage that movie was.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

Postman Dave

Reaction score
If it's movies that failed to perform even though the studio hyped them up then John Carter immediately comes to mind.

Disney fucked up the marketing on Carter royally, you're the first person i've seen say otherwise :lol:

Citan

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
kurtangle
Favorite Wrestler
mickfoley
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
-Star Wars Episodes I and II, definitely. I genuinely enjoyed III, tough it wasn't as good as it could have been.

-Matrix sequels. Enjoyed Reloaded, but it had infinite potential. And the less mention of Revolutions, the better.

-The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. Opening scene was great, but the rest of the first half bored the hell out of me. Didn't care for the dwarves. It's as if Jackson couldn't make up his mind: Make a lighthearted adaptation to The Hobbit, or make LOTR: The Prequel. He incorporated both tones, and the two two don't flow really well together (for instance, I still can't believe Christopher Lee / Saruman had to say that god awful line about Radagast: "It's his excessive consumption of mushrooms! They've addled his brain, and yellowed his teeth!"). I think the Narnia films handled the kid friendly tone much better without going overboard with it (didn't have pointless shots of mucus, for one), and the LOTR films did much better in the adult fantasy film tone. Desolation of Smaug was a marked improvement over this one, thank goodness.

-Halloween 5: For not following the ending of H4

-Terminator 3: In a effort to make up for the paper thin characters (including the most pussy and useless version of John Connor in the franchise history) and a recycled story (basically the second film all over agan, this time with far less fascinating duo of Terminators), the film attempted to throw us a "Sad Ending" that not only completely contradicts the themes of the first films, but also makes everything the characters of T2 fought for meaningless.

Last edited by a moderator:

Orobin Thor

Reaction score
Avatar is obviously something that falls into two of these categories, so that's probably my top choice for something like this. What a piece of garbage that movie was.

You are smoking crack. That movie was awesome! I loved the graphics and the animation. Very realistic. And the plot/story was on point. What pissed me off is that it never won an award. But then again, any movie that shows the human race losing anything usually never wins an award.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
You are smoking crack. That movie was awesome! I loved the graphics and the animation. Very realistic. And the plot/story was on point. What pissed me off is that it never won an award. But then again, any movie that shows the human race losing anything usually never wins an award.
Yeah, I'm smoking crack because I thought it was the most obviously cliched movie in years. There was nothing original about it in the slightest save for some special effects, it was totally predictable and the acting sucked. Also, on the subject of awards, it actually did win three technical awards at the Oscars. You can't possibly tell me you were shocked that it didn't win Best Picture? :lol: You're "movies about the human race losing never win awards" thing is a real stretch man, it didn't win any major awards because the voters saw through its smokescreen like I (and lots of others, don't think I'm in the minority with my hate for this movie) did.

Graphics don't make a movie good, especially when they distract from the story, although in this case that was probably a good thing because the story totally blew. I fail to see how the plot was on point when the movie was basically a direct rip-off of Dances with Wolves, Pocahontas or a host of other, better movies.

Orobin Thor

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm smoking crack because I thought it was the most obviously cliched movie in years. There was nothing original about it in the slightest save for some special effects, it was totally predictable and the acting sucked. Also, on the subject of awards, it actually did win three technical awards at the Oscars. You can't possibly tell me you were shocked that it didn't win Best Picture? :lol: You're "movies about the human race losing never win awards" thing is a real stretch man, it didn't win any major awards because the voters saw through its smokescreen like I (and lots of others, don't think I'm in the minority with my hate for this movie) did.

Graphics don't make a movie good, especially when they distract from the story, although in this case that was probably a good thing because the story totally blew. I fail to see how the plot was on point when the movie was basically a direct rip-off of Dances with Wolves, Pocahontas or a host of other, better movies.

Wow. Seriously? First off, I own both Dances With Wolves, and Pocahontas. Those two stories have zero similarities with Avatar. How you see it as a ripoff is these two classics is beyond me. The only thing remotely similar is the fact all three stories revolve around a Native race vs. an Educated, Advanced race. That's it. This alone is not enough to call Avatar a ripoff. As far as the awards are concered, ok damn yes, they didn't win an Acadamy or Oscar, but they should have. Avatar, hands down, was the best movie of 09. And finally,

Nuff said. LMAO

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Wow. Seriously? First off, I own both Dances With Wolves, and Pocahontas. Those two stories have zero similarities with Avatar. How you see it as a ripoff is these two classics is beyond me.
Your childish response with the image aside, you do realize James Cameron came out and said the following (also referencing other films that "inspired" Avatar)....

http://io9.com/5338570/james-cameron-admits-avatar-is-dances-with-wolves-in-space

And as for the Pocahontas references, there's a very well known image that points those very things out right here...

http://arteffact.wordpress.com/2010/01/06/similarities-between-avatar-and-pocahontas/

But all of that actual information aside, the bottom line is that Avatar fucking sucked. Sure it made a lot of money, but to suggest it was a better film than District 9 (another movie that bears STRINKING similarities to Avatar), Inglorious Basterds, Precious, Up in the Air, Up or Crazy Heart just shows how absurd your argument is.

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses
Speaking of Kevin Coster. What about Waterworld. I liked the flick but it failed miserably.

Lover Boy

Certified
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
MJF1
Favorite Wrestler
d6hYDrE
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Sports Team
2JJnnx8
The Dark Knight Rises failed to live up to the hype that my mates gave it.

Don't get me wrong, it's a fantastic movie but my mates made it out like it was the greatest movie of all time. I much preferred The Dark Knight.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Wang Chung said:
What about Waterworld. I liked the flick but it failed miserably.
Critically or commercially? I realize not a lot of people liked it (for what its worth I thought it was fine) but it did eventually break even after video sales were accounted.

Champagne Charlie said:
The Dark Knight Rises failed to live up to the hype that my mates gave it.
To be fair, it was never going to live up to the hype that the fanboys were heaping on it...even before any of them had seen it! I really didn't like it at all, especially the glaring continuity errors or the fact that it never really wanted to end. Not the worst movie I've ever seen, but definitely the worst of Nolan's Batman films.