What makes better commentary?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Reaction score
Over the years as the direction of the industry has changed so has the style of commentary. As opposed to calling the matches like it was a contest as it used to be, they now prefer to spend the time mentioning the odd move, but mainly telling stories and making jokes. Generally concentrating on the characters more than the contest.

Now I dont need to be told that its more about entertainment nowdays and that they deliberately want to give it a less serious approach. But what do you prefer?

Personally I much prefered the partnership and style of Jesse Ventura and Gorilla Monsoon too the partnership of say JR and the King. There was joking in it but they called more moves.

So would you like to see it called a little differently and who are your favourite partnerships?

Switchy

Reaction score
My favourite commentaotr is JBL, especially when he was commentating on the miz but I don't care about Michael cole too much. JBL brightens up matches with his crazy humour and funny remarks and can also talk about the technical signs of a match as well.

Markz

Reaction score
I'll just say, JBL = Good, Cole = Biased...

Haight

Reaction score
I agree the commentating has changed to conform to todays style. I guess the WWE assumes that todays audience has a short term memory when it comes to the details of a wrestling match and because they market themselves as 'Sports Entertainment', they might not feel it important to get overly technical...which is a shame.

I always enjoyed learning and hearing about the different moves...it gave me more of an understanding of wrestling when I was younger. One thing that bothers me about WWE's commentators today is the predictability of the commentating. One example of this is when Undertaker is involved in a match and does his 'Walk on the top rope' move...You know without fail that Michael Cole is going to say 'Uh Oh Undertaker is going Old Skool Now!!" One last thing I want to mention about this subject is that I always like the dynamic of the Scholarly Nerd type comentator (Michael Cole, Vince McMahon) calling a Match with someone who actually has stepped foot in a ring (JBL, Jessie Ventura) I wish JBL would rip on Cole more though.

Reaction score
lord alfred hayes was not bad,larry zbysko was very good on wcw saturday night,heenan and king used to be very funny,shame it's no longer the case.

youthought

Reaction score
Commentary was better in the old days. Tak for example when AJ Styles does the pele kick Don west always shouts "PELE! PELE!. I love that move could you never know where it comes from"

Reaction score
My favourite commentaotr is JBL, especially when he was commentating on the miz but I don't care about Michael cole too much. JBL brightens up matches with his crazy humour and funny remarks and can also talk about the technical signs of a match as well.

you called it :D

Rated G Semistar

Reaction score
Really, to be a great announce team you really just need:
A. A Guy Who knows wrestling trivia/knowledge by the shitload.
B. A Guy who is really charismatic and is over with fans.

A or B can be a face but A has to be a face, so either A is face and B is heel or A is face and B is face. An A heel A heel would never work out because there is nobody for the audience to "love", or relate to. You could have an A heel B heel if there is a C face in the mix. Another three person arangement could be A face B heel C tweener, or A heel B face C tweener, or A tweener B heel C face. Is everyone still with me?

Airfixx

[LOL, I hear ya!]

IMO, WWF commentary got far more 'technical' when J.R. arrived....

Always came across to me during the 80's/early 90's as if names for moves were being made up on the spot (even if Monsoon would flex a bit of knowledge, always going on about body parts such as the "external oxcipheral pertuberance"(sp?) LOL). I used to love the way that by the end of a PPV Monsoon & Jesse would be virtually at each other's throats tho'! Heenan was comedy gold and will always be sorely missed..... Alfred hayes seemed like a cenile old man. When he and Shawn Mooney used to work together it used to get fuckin' surreal! LOL I used to hate (pre-Mr McMahon) Vince commentating, maily due to the way he'd always pre-empt the refs count and always reach three, even off the back of an exchange that was NEVER gonna result in a 1, 2, 3..... Somehow ruined the tension of the matches for me.

I don't think you can underestimate the effect good commentary can have when watching televised wrestling. Especially as what is said often shapes the opinions of the 'less aware' fans. I think it's unfortunate WWE find it necessary to jump from comentary team to commentary team at mutli-brand PPVs... I think it affects the momentum of the overall event (only from a TV viewer perspective obviously).

Also, these days I don't think J.R. & King work anywhere near as well together as they did during the Attitude era... King isn't 'heel' enough and you don't get the same kinda chemistry.... Reluctantly, I think it may be time for a change....

Let it not be said tho'..... J.R. IS GOD!!!

Also, big up to Joey Styles for what I've heard from him on old skool ECW.... Working that shit solo must be tough.

chessarmy

The best anouncer today is JR, sure...he doesnt call ALL the moves like Joey Styles would, but he knows how to tell stories and knows when to scream into the mic and when not to (Unlike Tenay and West). He also makes special moments feel even more special. As for what makes a good anouncer, well...here is my list:

1-Good voice: You cant have an annoying voice like Don West, to be able to be a good commentator.

2-Learn when to scream and when not to: I hate how Don West goes "OMG WHAT A PUCH TO THE FACE!! OMG HE JUST GOT CREAMED". Being over-excited for everything that happens ruins the moment where something actually mark out worthy happens, and so it doesnt feel as special.

3-Be Knowlegable: Know about wrestling, dont go into WWE talking about how Smackdown! was the first show and then RAW came along...get your facts strait, and know your info!

4-Make a catch phrase: JR has many, King has many, hell, even Don West has one "UNBELIEVABLE UNBELIEVABLE", so I think having a catch phrase can help an anouncer make him better than the rest..

those are 4 things that I think make for great anouncing

Evil Austin

i would have to say in order

Jr come on he commentator for over 20 years and working backstage for over 35
JBL
King
Cole
Monsoon this is like 80's
McMahon - he did a few P.P.v's in the mid - late 90's