What If Bret Hart Never Would Have Left The WWE?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

straight_edge76

I was watching my Bret Hart DVD for like the 1,000th time and I just thought of something, even thought him leaving was inevitable Hypothetically what do you think would have happened if he wouldn't have left? Would Owen Hart have had his accident? Would The Rock have become The Rock? Would Triple H became Triple H? Thoughts?

noumenon

Interesting question. I don't think it would have stopped said guys from getting pushed, but it definitely would have altered the wrestling landscape quite a bit. There really wouldn't have been a need to fill the void Hart left so the guys they did push to compensate probably would have been held off on. I'm sure he also would have had quite a big role in the Attitude Era and given us some pretty interesting and amazing confrontations. Don't forget how it would have affected WCW and the Monday night wars in general. We may even see Bret active today in some capacity.
The Owen accident is a different story...who knows.

straight_edge76

Yeah, I know what you mean, in a way Rock was already starting to get his Push back in 1997 and Trips was already planned hell after WM XIV he was huge. I think he could have been instrumental in the push of guys like Benoit and Guerrero a year or so after their debut which I think the WWE really wanted them both in the main event a little quicker. Plus Hart/Angle or Hart/Rock would have been awesome.

Airfixx

Biggest Factor: No screwjob, no Mr. McMahon, no fued with SCSA... Potentially no turnaround in the Monday Night Wars.

Aside from the obviously desirable match-ups, I think WWE would have struggled with what to do with the Hitman character in the Attitude era.

IMO the loss of HBK some 6 months later was more significant..

Headfirst For Hardcore

Reaction score
Biggest Factor: No screwjob, no Mr. McMahon, no fued with SCSA... Potentially no turnaround in the Monday Night Wars.

Aside from the obviously desirable match-ups, I think WWE would have struggled with what to do with the Hitman character in the Attitude era.

IMO the loss of HBK some 6 months later was more significant..

yeah, pretty much. The Mr. McMahon thing was the first thing that came to mind. Starting with him, the WWF would probably hurt without that edginess. Bret was already getting older, so I'm not sure how much longer he would've been in the Main Event.

As for the Monday Night Wars, WCW still could've lost, because you can't change the egos in that locker room. WWF still might have been "old school" for a little bit longer. The wars might have been less competitive with Bret and his drawing power still in the WWE.

I don't know about Owen though, you can't really blame a freak accident on Bret not being there.

The Rated R CMStar

Would have it even been an Attitude Era? Yeah they were pushing Stone Cold and there was DX, but I don't know, the main focus of the Attitude Era was Stone Cold against authority and without Vince Mcmahon I don't think it would have been the same.

straight_edge76

Yeah, I kind of agree that the Attitude era wouldn't have been the same I still believe It would have happened I could have seen it as more McMahon/Hart then McMahon/Austin. And It would have been alot different because the feud would have had imo a bit more of a personal flare to it.

Reaction score
Well most of what I have to add has already been said but Bret Hart is one of those "this is how it is" stories in wrestling. Bret Hart was NOT a huge star by anymeans. He was a very good worker who thought too highly of himself. He was never a credible draw inside the states, only being worthwhile in Canada and overseas, which at the time was a small fraction of the WWF's business. The biggest gate he ever main evented was drawn by Bulldog and by the time he ever had a program that would actually draw some serious cash he was well on his way to throwing the dirt on his career along with WCW.

Bret Hart leaving was the best thing that ever happened to Vince and the WWF, not in anyway am I trying to glorify the Montreal Screwjob, but Vince made more money in the proceeding six months after Bret's departure than he did the entire six years Bret was atop the WWF card. Bret owuld have had no place in the Attitude Era and with the open spot he left behind, names like Foley, Rock, Austin, Jericho, HHH and Undertaker would all go on to have, better drawing and more profitable careers than Hart.

So bottom line, Hart leaving WWF actually saved the Fed, ushered in the most exciting and memorable era in wrestling and helped paved the way for stars bigger than Hart to exist. So who in their right mind would take a couple of predictable three star Hart matches with guys who might not have gotten a chance to be stars, then the company would have folded. The company was basically not looking past the next months ppv with Bret in the fold, things were looking that bad for the WWF. Bret is the most overrated dude in internet wrestling history.

Chance

Reaction score
And Vince was starting to "come out of the closet" so to speak, already. He was interviewed before SS as being the voice on what would happen if it was Hart's last match. I could see Vince still stepping out from behind the curtain, although without the classic "Bret screwed Bret" interview, who knows what way the character would have gone. Before Montreal, McMahon and Austin had been interacting over the IC title, with McMahon being concerned regarding Austin's neck injury, and Austin beating him down to the joy of the fans. So arguably, WWE knew which direction to go in before they lost hart.

straight_edge76

Ok i do agree on him not being as big of a draw guys like Austin and HBK were but there is one thing you cannot deny and that is he basically put Austin over, the Austin/Hart match at the '96 Survivor Series is what basically made him a star, you could argue that the "Austin 3:16" incident was but that merely created the character but he was not really over as a face with the fans until his feud with Hart.