What happened to gaming?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Solid Snake

Champion
Reaction score

I honestly thought it was just me. That I was getting older and found it harder to find games I could enjoy.

Well, maybe this is not the case. This dude makes some valid points on how gaming changed and has become more about making money than the actual art of creating something amazing. This is not to say there haven't been amazing games that have been released recently, but most devs have followed the same path of microtransactions and down payments to a completed game that comes anywhere from 6 months later to 3 whole years later, after the actual release date.

Who is to blame for this though? I feel like those who are not into gaming are to blame really. Parents who give their kids money left and right to buy useless junk and easy access to things you'd otherwise have to grind for or earn in-game. These types have made it easy for devs to put less effort into the overall state of the game until they are guaranteed more money. It isn't enough anymore to buy a game for $60, you have to spend more and more and more.

Thoughts?

Reactions: Vampire Quinn

InsaneAlphaBeta

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho2
-Looks at time-

2:42AM

yeah, i got enough time.

-Takes deep breath.-

Alright, so as one can imagine this is a fairly loaded topic with lots of things to consider. And discuss.

Yes, there was a time when games came out and they were polished, but that never ended, there are many, many games that come out and they are polished, barely any issues, and are incredible games, look at Nintendo, look at PlaySation. But here si the thing, we live in a world yes of online day one updates, and as publishers demand more of the devs and quicker releases sometimes it doesnt end well. But here is a thing, you dont pay for these updates, they are free, its just a matter of giving the devs time.

Look at No Mans Sky, a game where the devs promised the impossible and bombed day 1, the game failed but they never stopped updating it and eventually it did become the game they wanted it to be. And yes Master Chief Collection was hell at launch, but its been fixed, Reach is out and everyone loves it.

Halo 5 wasnt what Halo fans hoped at launch, i was one of them, but over time as 343 kept adding more things, eventually it became great.

As these games get more complicated, they take more time to make, thats simply a fact of the industry, this talked about devs not taking chances and being complacent, then ignored the fact Bethesda is working on a new IP called Starfield, and the next Elder Scrolls game after that. And as for GTA yeah that game took awhile to make, but that game has withstood the test of time, and as more content comes out it continues to live on. But it isnt like Rockstar hasent been working on their next games, Red Dead Redemption 2 came out this year. And we know they are working on the enxt GTA game.

Yes these devs have made mistakes, Bethesda has had their image shattered by Fallout 76, but that hasnt stopped them from giving up on the game and making it better and better. Same with Bioware, he brought up Andromeda but failed to mention how they fixed that game and it became good too, and i know this as i played it myself. Anthem too is a game that failed at Launch and hurt EA alot, yet Bioware continues to work on it.

We didnt have Remakes and Remasters back then because there wasnt a demand for them, now that we have beautiful graphics we wanna see the classics in a new coat of paint, and what it does is gives these possible dead and forgotten franchises a new chance at life! Spyro will now likely get new games, Crash will likely get new games now all because of the successes of the remakes.

And there are countless games that have come out Polished and great Overwatch was great at Launch, Gears of War 5, Pretty much every PlayStation exclusive. Forza Horizon 4. Bioshock Infinrite. The Outer Worlds. Undertale. Five Nights At Freddys. The Assassins Creed games. The Need for Speed games. The list goes on and on and on with the games that have come out in the last decade that have been amazing and polished.

Speaking of being complacent and not taking chances, he brings up From Software. yet ignores Sekiro Shadows Die Twice, a new IP from that very company.

Its easy to get caught up in the actions of bigger publishers like EA and Activision and Blizzard, with the loot boxes and micro transactions. But as much as people complain, the system works, people keep buying them. And as long as you can earn them in game and it aint pay to win then its useal okay.

Perhaps it is in decline in some aspects, but the fact is games take longer to make and they need these updates, its just how it works now, it isnt bad, it just depends on the respective devs and the situation of the game. The gaming industry is one of if not the biggest entertainment industry in the world, its doing great, so to say its in decline, maybe it is based on ones perspective, but in many ways, its great.

Geese

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
E3RY3ej
Favorite Wrestler
Y8A7yx1
Favorite Sports Team
sacramentokings
Favorite Sports Team
Rx1XOnt
I was browsing amazon recently and found Nintendo Switch costs $300+ A few years ago, my friend complained how much money a PS4, which her son wanted so badly, would set her back financially. Last year I was shopping at Target and the price for Call of Duty: WW II for all gaming consoles is $59.99. The local records store wasn't any better as they charged the same price for Call of Duty.

Video game developers are pricing its games and gaming systems out of the reach for working-class families who are struggling to make ends meet during this economic recession.

Solid Snake

Champion
Reaction score
I was browsing amazon recently and found Nintendo Switch costs $300+ A few years ago, my friend complained how much money a PS4, which her son wanted so badly, would set her back financially. Last year I was shopping at Target and the price for Call of Duty: WW II for all gaming consoles is $59.99. The local records store wasn't any better as they charged the same price for Call of Duty.

Video game developers are pricing its games and gaming systems out of the reach for working-class families who are struggling to make ends meet during this economic recession.
Nintendo 64 games were $49.99 new though. So it isn't so much the price of the games as it is the price of the consoles and additional BS one has to get to play a game.

InsaneAlphaBeta

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho2

On one hand i can see where you are coming from.

But on the other, my family can barely afford food every week, let alone pay the pills, yet we have tons of video games and 3 xbox ones, one of which is a xbox one s.

And thanks to companys like Microsoft they make things affordable, like Xbox Game Pass Ultimate, You get hundreds of games on PC, hundreds of games on XBox includeing all Xbox exclusives past present and future, aswell as xbox live gold all for just a very affordable $15 a month.

Plus now they added xbox all access, which if you pay around $20 - $40 a month (depending on which console you choose) you get a brand new Xbox One S or Xbox One X with the option of upgradeing to the next gen Xbox Series X, and all it takes is paying somewhere betwen the amounts i listed above for 2 years, and boom, the console is yours! it comes with 2 years of game pass aswell so you get a brand new console immediately and hundreds of games for 2 whole years for a simple monthly payment.

Microsoft also has Microsoft rewards which lets you earn points that you can use to redeem money for you account to spend on games aswell, a service i use frequently.

There are plenty of ways and options for people of all types of money situations.

Irwin R. Schyster

The Showoff
Reaction score
I'm a big gamer and I hate all the extra garbage you have to get, like I pay $80 or more for a game, and then I have to buy DLCs to go with it if I want them? That's stupid. Money is definately an issue. I want to buy a completed game, not have to fork out money later to get something I want that didn't come with the original game. That's bullshit. It was like $7.99 just for Shao Kahn. Really? Wow.

Solid Snake

Champion
Reaction score
I'm a big gamer and I hate all the extra garbage you have to get, like I pay $80 or more for a game, and then I have to buy DLCs to go with it if I want them? That's stupid. Money is definately an issue. I want to buy a completed game, not have to fork out money later to get something I want that didn't come with the original game. That's bullshit. It was like $7.99 just for Shao Kahn. Really? Wow.
MK really went down the pooper since I stopped playing huh? lol

I get charging for additional stories but paying $8 just for one character to be unlocked? They are really banking on kid's parents who allow them to play games they shouldn't be to make money I guess. lol

Reactions: Irwin R. Schyster

Irwin R. Schyster

The Showoff
Reaction score
The new pack has I think 7 characters and it's $21.99, if I am not mistaken. That's just stupid.

I started playing MK when it first came out, I was 8 years old, turning 9. Growing up on violent movies and video games, I have no problem with kids playing that kind of game, as long as the parents are smart enough to teach them right from wrong, but, having people pay for extra characters, wow.

Solid Snake

Champion
Reaction score
The new pack has I think 7 characters and it's $21.99, if I am not mistaken. That's just stupid.

I started playing MK when it first came out, I was 8 years old, turning 9. Growing up on violent movies and video games, I have no problem with kids playing that kind of game, as long as the parents are smart enough to teach them right from wrong, but, having people pay for extra characters, wow.

Yeah my first video game was MK and I was 5 or 6 years old. I also watched horror movies and all that stuff at that age. My brother was the same. My parents didn't really teach us about any of it so I guess they lucked out with me but my brother can be pretty angry and violent.

Maturity and understanding comes at different ages I suppose. Modern MK games are more violent in terms of graphics though. Looking back at the old games, they were comical. I remember laughing so hard at the "TOASTY!" Dan guy in II and III lol

• Haha
Reactions: Irwin R. Schyster