What ever happened to brawls?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Nick

Reaction score
I'm not much of a ranter, so I'll keep this brief. I've noticed over the past year or two that in WWE they moved away from the old style with mixes of brawlers, a few high flyers, and technical wrestlers. Now, it seems like EVERY single match is just technical wrestling. What ever happened to a good old fashioned brawl with two guys just beating the piss out of each other?

Now I'm not saying technical wrestling is bad, don't get me wrong. I just feel at times it's overdone and is becoming boring. Imo, the best matches tell a story, and mix all different styles of wrestling. But lately, the more I watch the more I see repetitive matches of grappling, wear down submission, more grappling, etc. Am I the only one who, at times gets bored of technical wrestling? Am I the only one who enjoys a brawl where two dudes are just beating the shit out of each other?

Reactions: DK JAMES

Aids Johnson

The Beast
Champion
Reaction score
Wyatt vs Shield will be more brawl, Rusev coming up will mean more brawl matches, and Sheamus vs Cesaro (probably the only time i will look forward to that ginger fuck) will be a dope brawl match.

When CM Punk, Randy Orton, Cena (bitch slaps) and the like are your main card, you arent gonna see it often. Punk cant even sell a kick, how the hell is he going to look like a guy who can take real punches? Undertaker and Kane are getting older and slower, and most of the monster or badass guys arent there anymore (Nash had to rogaine ffs, why? Badass silver like a boss would have been dope) but I expect a portion of it to change. The characters are softer now than in the late 90s. AE or not, Characters had tenacity then.

edge4ever

The Game
Technician
Reaction score
you're such a ranter.....
jk

but, yes, I agree....I wouldn't mind seeing some old-fashioned brawls.

Cloud

Champion
Reaction score
While for one I enjoy the technical wrestling I do miss and I'm quoting JR. A decent slobberknocker.

Reactions: edge4ever

Dolph'sZiggler

Biggest self-mark since Bret Hart
Reaction score
Sheamus and Brock are brawlers. HHH and Taker are brawlers. Cesaro is a mixture of brawling and technical wrestling, while Cena is still a brawler.

Wyatts/Shield isn't going to be any technical wizardry involved.

I feel there is a health mixture of brawls and technical wrestling.

edge4ever

The Game
Technician
Reaction score
Sheamus and Brock are brawlers. HHH and Taker are brawlers. Cesaro is a mixture of brawling and technical wrestling, while Cena is still a brawler.

Wyatts/Shield isn't going to be any technical wizardry involved.

I feel there is a health mixture of brawls and technical wrestling.
I agree with it all but I feel that Triple H, much like Cesaro, is a mix of technical and brawling. Triple H has an amazing right hand but is also extremely technical when needed.

Dolph'sZiggler

Reaction score
I agree with it all but I feel that Triple H, much like Cesaro, is a mix of technical and brawling. Triple H has an amazing right hand but is also extremely technical when needed.
Maybe 15 years ago. HHH is pure brawling IMO at this stage.

edge4ever

The Game
Technician
Reaction score
Maybe 15 years ago. HHH is pure brawling IMO at this stage.
as of now, ill agree with that. Maybe we'll see more of his technical side when he fights Bryan? And he was technical during the Evolutoin era, too.

Dolph'sZiggler

Reaction score
as of now, ill agree with that. Maybe we'll see more of his technical side when he fights Bryan? And he was technical during the Evolutoin era, too.
Depends on where his character goes. I could see it being technical if he is still the "good guy COO" heel who is condescending toward Bryan. But many expect him to grab a sledgehammer and leather jacket for the millionth time (zzzzzzz) and if that happens I'd expect a pure brawl.

edge4ever

The Game
Technician
Reaction score
Depends on where his character goes. I could see it being technical if he is still the "good guy COO" heel who is condescending toward Bryan. But many expect him to grab a sledgehammer and leather jacket for the millionth time (zzzzzzz) and if that happens I'd expect a pure brawl.
I agree. I hope it's a mix of both when they fight. He's technical against Bryan when needed but can also throw a shit load of right hands and even an occasional thumb to the eye.

leojay

Champion
Reaction score
If anything, I've thought the last twelve months has had less technical wrestling than usual. Especially considering the poster boy for it in Daniel Bryan has seemingly changed his style quite a bit. The last twelve months has been very in-ring story driven, with stuff like Daniel Bryan/Bray Wyatt, CM Punk/Brock Lesnar, John Cena/CM Punk and Alberto Del Rio/Dolph Ziggler.

But as for you saying there's been more wear down submissions; that's most likely because Randy Orton, the man of the dreaded headlocks, has been used more prominently.

Lockard 23

The WWF/E Guru
Reaction score
Technical wrestling has it's place, but I like diversity and too much of any one thing gets boring to me. My favorite kind of 'wrestling' is indeed when two (or more) great characters just go at it in a fight, with a well told backstory leading up to it.

Dolph'sZiggler

Reaction score
Technical wrestling has it's place, but I like diversity and too much of any one thing gets boring to me. My favorite kind of 'wrestling' is indeed when two (or more) great characters just go at it in a fight, with a well told backstory leading up to it.
*cough* attitude era mark *cough*

Reactions: edge4ever