What ended it?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Phenom1

Jobber
Reaction score
Things went downhill when Stephanie was part of the creative staff, this was around 2001. The WCW/ECW invasion angle went horribly wrong. Triple HHH was pushed strong around that point.

Kane was booked wrong and got buried by HHH in a stupid storyline.

2001-2004 big stars started to leave things started turning in a different direction.

2005-2006 they tried establishing Cena and Batista.

2007-2010 WWE started slowy heading into what is now the PG era. TNA started getting WWE stars that had left the company.

2011this year they are trying to at least put some young stars over and head into a different direction. Let's face it with injuries WWE is lacking star power right now.

Also after WCW and ECW went downhill and WWE bought them out. WWE got lazy, because no one else was left to compete.

The only way I can see a company ever coming head to head with WWE again is if some big tv guy like Ted Turner with WCW was willing to put a wrestling show on his network and willing to put money into it to lure stars away from WWE.

CM Punk

AJ Styles
Champion
Reaction score
Phenom said:
Things went downhill when Stephanie was part of the creative staff, this was around 2001. The WCW/ECW invasion angle went horribly wrong. Triple HHH was pushed strong around that point.

Kane was booked wrong and got buried by HHH in a stupid storyline.

2001-2004 big stars started to leave things started turning in a different direction.

2005-2006 they tried establishing Cena and Batista.

2007-2010 WWE started slowy heading into what is now the PG era. TNA started getting WWE stars that had left the company.

2011this year they are trying to at least put some young stars over and head into a different direction. Let's face it with injuries WWE is lacking star power right now.

Also after WCW and ECW went downhill and WWE bought them out. WWE got lazy, because no one else was left to compete.

The only way I can see a company ever coming head to head with WWE again is if some big tv guy like Ted Turner with WCW was willing to put a wrestling show on his network and willing to put money into it to lure stars away from WWE.

Actually, the PG era started because of two reasons. One, some lady told Vince that WWE should expand beyond their male audience.
Two, During the feud between Y2J and HBK in 2008, when Jericho put Michaels through the Jeri-tron and I quote " He bled like a stuck pig." They lost a sponsor thus starting the PG era.

seabs

Walking the King’s Road
Reaction score
CM Punk said:
Actually, the PG era started because of two reasons. One, some lady told Vince that WWE should expand beyond their male audience.
Two, During the feud between Y2J and HBK in 2008, when Jericho put Michaels through the Jeri-tron and I quote " He bled like a stuck pig." They lost a sponsor thus starting the PG era.

You missed out Lindas senate run thats apparently why it was essentially Barney's playtime in 2009. The opposition get bringing it up.

CM Punk

AJ Styles
Champion
Reaction score
seabs said:
You missed out Lindas senate run thats apparently why it was essentially Barney's playtime in 2009. The opposition get bringing it up.

I know, but I heard those were just rumors, so I didn't include it.
The only thing I heard which was connected was "Stand Up."

Phenom1

Jobber
Reaction score
seabs I agree with you that a good part was attributed to Linda's campaign. As she was getting hammered, because of the steriod scandal and other things that had to do with the WWE.

CM Punk you are right, but honestly in 07 things started going down hill. I agree with what you said about Vince trying to market to kids again as that's what they did in the early 90's or later 80's remember the Hogan promos targeted to kids and all the wacky characters they had back then. I do think that also Vince realized that the younger fans from back in the day grew old and got bored of the product, so once again Vince is trying to appeal to kids, and will slowly change as those kids become teens, and adults at least this is what I'm thinking.

Crayo

The Boss
Reaction score
Website
wweforums.net
Phenom said:
seabs I agree with you that a good part was attributed to Linda's campaign. As she was getting hammered, because of the steriod scandal and other things that had to do with the WWE.

CM Punk you are right, but honestly in 07 things started going down hill. I agree with what you said about Vince trying to market to kids again as that's what they did in the early 90's or later 80's remember the Hogan promos targeted to kids and all the wacky characters they had back then. I do think that also Vince realized that the younger fans from back in the day grew old and got bored of the product, so once again Vince is trying to appeal to kids, and will slowly change as those kids become teens, and adults at least this is what I'm thinking.

Perhaps, Vince definitely has the skills to progress the company. Wish I could say the same for HHH though. Who will take over the company in the very near-future right?

seabs

Walking the King’s Road
Reaction score
Phenom said:

I'm gonna disagree there. Vince didn't change due to fans growing up he changed because WCW was going to kill his company. WWE has been kid oriented since Bruno's era if not even earlier. The AE was still targeted to kids imo just with enough of an edge for it to be good for adults. I mean we had Austin, the superhero babyface or Hulk Hogan of his era for a start. Plus how many of us who watched the AE were kids when it happened I know I was.

Phenom1

Jobber
Reaction score
Crayo said:
Perhaps, Vince definitely has the skills to progress the company. Wish I could say the same for HHH though. Who will take over the company in the very near-future right?

I agree

This week or last who was it that said once Vince is gone the WWE might be in trouble? I think it was Jim Cornette who said that. I think that he is correct, and I as a fan would be worried to see what happens when that day does come.

HHH could develop to be great running the company, but he will never be Vince. I think he better take all the advice he can from Vince, and listen carefully, because if he messes up he would be destroying the one thing that Vince put his life into.

Crayo

The Boss
Reaction score
Website
wweforums.net
I was a kid too, but you're right it did have just enough edge for the adults. Even if I watch it again now I'm incredibly entertained.

And yeah, it was Cornette and I agree too. HHH is too ignorant I think to see real talent, he's not as in-tuned with the "WWE Universe" as let's say CM Punk is. Not just dissing HHH for the hell of it, but how many of the real fans does he speak to? Punk speaks to them all in interviews, random events, twitter, radios, news shows, etc. HHH doesn't, you can say Vince didn't either but he's a one off.