What Do You Miss From Your Earlier Days of Being a Wrestling Fan?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
I'm putting this in the General WWE section but you can apply it to all wrestling.

@WholeFN'Moe and I were talking about this in the Superstar of 2016 thread and it got me thinking. We're of all different ages, but I am sure that even those of you a lot younger than me probably have things that you miss about being a fan in previous time periods.

Wrestling today, more than ever, is easy to access... information wise and show wise. With things like the WWE Network, New Japan World, YouTube, torrenting, you can pretty much find the majority of the matches you want to see pretty easily. And there are more news sites than I care to even consider.

When I was younger, I had to get my inside information by ordering newsletters. I had Figure Four Weekly, I think. Other than that, it was Pro Wrestling Illustrated (which was always a couple months behind) and those other magazines. I actually read about Jeff Jarret, Jushin Liger and many others for years before I ever saw them wrestle. I had to tape pay per views when I ordered them (I didn't care if it was illegal, I paid $30 for it and I think I should have gotten to watch as much as possible for that price). I had to tape trade to get things I really wanted to see. In the area I lived in, we only had WWF, WCW and Windy City Wrestling on the TV.

I think since it was hard to get information and matches, I anticipated it more and enjoyed it more. That doesn't mean I am willing to give up the internet, the WWE Network et al. in order to go back to the harder days. But I often think fondly about it.

I think one of the things I miss the most was Saturday nights when I was a kid. After my family all went to bed, at midnight WWF Superstars would come on. It was all jobber matches but at the time that was normal. Then at 1 AM, it was GLOW wrestling. Then at 2 AM it was Tales from the Darkside (not wrestling, but that was basically my Saturday night). And although things are SO much better and easy to access, I sometimes think I'd like to live some of that again.

When I was a little older, my parents and sister would go out to eat on Saturday night. I'd always stay home. Grab myself a foot long meatball sub from Subway, and sit in my room in the dark watching WCW Saturday Night. That was always really fun too.

So what about you? Are there things that you miss from your earlier days being a wrestling fan and what might they be? And it shouldn't just be "I miss the Attitude Era" or something like that. It would be what you miss about being a fan in the Attitude Era.

WholeFN'Moe

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score
I remember having Figure Four Weekly with Alvarez as well before they merged with Wrestling Observer.

Was exciting when it came, like a big deal because you had to wait. which isn't the same with the Internet & everything is a click away.

I can go on all day about what I miss but I start to feel old & jaded, & then depressed because I can't do anything about NOT preferring today's ways, it's just how I am, I don't like alot of it... but it will never be the same.

I certainly miss not knowing every little thing that will happen which is due to 2 reasons I believe....

One is because of the Internet obviously, but two it's also because the stories aren't ever as fresh anymore. I can always tell what is going to happen next even if I don't read it Online.

They use to do all different sorts of paths with the stories & now it seems like they almost always go with the obvious choice or 2nd or 3rd most obvious choice. If I haven't already seen it before, I can atleast tell what's going to happen. It was cool because you could talk about what was going to happen next with your friends because you didn't know & afterwords how you never seen anything like that before.

I miss all the different characters... everybody isn't exactly the same these days but back then they were all very different from one another and each had a shtick. Almost like super heroes... all very different gimmicks. One guy came from the dead & another came from Oz but now they're all just guys..... driving from their hotels to make the show.

Every guy was larger than life!!

Some were just themselves and some were way out there but it was all blended perfectly for a great show. When 2 wrestlers came together they could do cool spots with whatever their individuals shticks were. Like Jake's snake eating Beware's bird or something.... lol that never happened, just an example of 2 things intertwining that never can happen anymore.

I miss the talent being utilized properly and having the baIIs to stand up for themselves when they are not and I miss them standing up for the business too. Both standing up to the promoters and the fans when they called it silly or fake.

I miss kayfabe

I miss having more than one big company... I even miss the territories some days... both for so many reasons.
I miss the competition
I miss guys going back and forth which created dream matches

I also miss the wrestlers having legitimacy and the titles or prizes having credibility and prestige.

I miss the special attraction feel to the gimmick matches such as a cage match when they didn't have one every other week but instead had one about once a year so everything was a really big deal like WrestleMania.

Bringing me to the point that all PPV's were a big deal not just the big 4... I miss not having a ppv every week to watch because those felt special too when they were only once in awhile & 2 guys had alot of time to build up a REAL, natural story together.

You had to wait for everything... everything was special. They tried to make everything special... there was pageantry to everything. Like the little 30 second interviews from each entrant in the Rumble match.

Most importantly....

which I think is the reason for all of the above

.....I miss having the people who run wrestling actually like "wrestling" and don't ban the word "wrestling" from their shows.

Last edited:

Gman003

The Lunatic Fringe
Hotshot
Reaction score
Yeah I miss the whole surprise factor. It poos up every now and then but for the most part we can see how a match will probably end.

I miss the non-stop action that there used to be. No 25+ minute matches with 2 commercial breaks. With 15 of those minutes being either long setups for a move, or them rolling around after a move. I want action!

I miss the star power wwf/e used to have. Attitude and ruthless aggression eras had immense star power. Everyone was a huge star.

I just really miss how it used to be overall when I was a kid.

The Internet has ruined pro wrestling. Luckily I have unfollowed ALL (except this) wrestling related shit. Once the Kevin Owens title win got spoiled for me I said enough is enough I'm sick of having it spoiled on accident while I'm at work

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
Another thing I miss is the mystery of the play by mail wrestling games. I still actually play the IWA game, but it's not the same. Now they post results on their website before sending out their bulletins. Sometimes the curiosity is too much to bear and I have to look.

When I first started playing them, it was always fun anticipating the bulletin coming in the mail and wondering if my guy might have won a championship. It was also a good way to make friends who were wrestling fans.

• Haha
Reactions: WholeFN'Moe

WholeFN'Moe

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score
I'm putting this in the General WWE section but you can apply it to all wrestling.

@WholeFN'Moe Then at 2 AM it was Tales from the Darkside

.........Grab myself a foot long meatball sub from Subway.

HAHA! ...Awesome! ...I loved that show, miss my childhood.

I use to get those DQ kids things where you pick everything that goes in and your desert and toy too? ....Which doesn't seem like a big deal now but it was cool as a kid back then. Plus the toys weren't as cheap and little as they are now.

Seems like they use to try to make things more special for kids all around back then.

Reactions: Jacob Fox

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
HAHA! ...Awesome! ...I loved that show, miss my childhood.

I use to get those DQ kids things where you pick everything that goes in and your desert and toy too? ....Which doesn't seem like a big deal now but it was cool as a kid back then. Plus the toys weren't as cheap and little as they are now.

Seems like they use to try to make things more special for kids all around back then.

Yeah it's one of my favorites and I still watch it all of the time.

Yeah and Happy Meal toys were really awesome when I was a kid, back in the 80s. They have gotten cheaper and cheaper over time.

Snowman1

Chillin' with the snowmies.
Reaction score
I'm with you Fox. Even from back in 2009, the thought of "appointment viewing" was a lot of fun, when a friend and I would get the chips and stuff together on a Friday night to watch Smackdown ritualistically. Felt like a fun part of the week.
As great as appointment viewing is, it explains a lot about our spoiledness haha

Reactions: Jacob Fox

ShaRpY HaRdY

Main Event Mafia
Reaction score
There were two periods of my younger life (before I was 18) where I was an active wrestling fan.. The first was from 1997 just slightly before SummerSlam, I just turned 6.. Bret Hart was the man and he had his own thing with Taker going on at this point, that match at SummerSlam is when I became a BIG fan of the Hart family and associates (ie: My hard-on for Natty). That lasted a few years until maybe a year or 2 after the Attitude Era ended.

The second time around was actually because I was watching Spike TV and just managed to catch the first episode ever aired of TNA Impact! on Spike, it was like the beginning of October in '05 if I'm not mistaken, I was 14. They opened the show off with video packages of its' superstars and I remember feeling the hype almost instantaneously.. (This was back when TNA was definitely bearable to say the least).. Then it kicked off with none other than AJ Styles, later on had a nice match between one of my personal TNA favorites (mostly during his time with Big Papa Pump) Petey Williams vs Alex Shelley vs Chris Sabin, which Sabin won after a very good match that if it had more time would've been one of the greats..

Overall the scheduled viewing is what I missed most.. making sure I was home in time on those specific days the shows aired because I didn't have access to a DVR/Recorder during that time.. I did have a computer but there wasn't really streaming sites that were as effective as the ones out today so it wasn't like full shows but we were able to watch various matches that happened to be popular enough to get filmed and put online.. It wasn't the same though as turning on that big old tube television and tuning into the show and watching it as it airs for the first time.

Reactions: Gman003

WholeFN'Moe

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score
The second time around was actually because I was watching Spike TV and just managed to catch the first episode ever aired of TNA Impact! on Spike, it was like the beginning of October in '05 if I'm not mistaken

Wow that doesn't seem like 12 years ago... I would have been 18, wish I could go back. I remember being super excited that there was another promotion and I got behind it full force because the product was actually really good at first and I was VERY fed up and with the way WWE were treating the fanbase. There were all these new guys and guys from WWE coming in, a great roster and they were booking the show very well then ....and having great matches. TNA really looked promising then

What the hell happened?

lol

CM Punk

AJ Styles
Champion
Reaction score
I guess just not knowing it's scripted. It made it a ton more enjoyable for me personally. Like I knew people always said it was fake, then they'd like do a chair shot and I'm like that's gotta be real. Shit like that.

Cause once I knew, I started looking up news, fell into the dirtsheets, etc.

Reactions: Gman003