Were you a fan of the Call Me Maybe craze back in 2012 ?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Mustafar Reginald

The Lunatic Fringe
Reaction score
The song's fine. It's nothing more than a cheesy bubblegum pop song, and I got tired of it pretty quickly. I wouldn't say I was a fan of the craze, at least not at the time, but I'm pretty good at secluding myself from what the general populace consumes, especially back in 2012 when my only form of social media were wrestling forums like this one, so it didn't really bother me. In hindsight though, I'm a little glad that the song was so successful if only because I consider myself a fan of both Carly Rae Jepsen and Josh Ramsay (who has song writing credits on it & was the producer of it [as for who Josh Ramsay is, he's the lead singer of probably my favorite band, Marianas Trench]). While it kinda sucks that Carly Rae Jepsen will likely always be identified by her worst song (or at least, her worst song imo from what I've heard) but I loved her 80's influenced album Emotion so whatever, I'm fine with them making money off a song I don't care for.

I feel like the exact same thing is going to happen with This Is America. Which kinda sucks since that is a better song IMO.

This is America is a much better song than Call Me Maybe, and it's not even close. Don't really mind it getting meme'd for that reason though. My problem is that it's hard for me to read somebody meme'ing This is America as anything but a failure to comprehend the video or an inability to care about what it's trying to say. Obviously people are just trying to get a few yucks in but like, the video is explicitly constructed to highlight how we focus on pointless distractions like dance craze instead of focusing on the more serious issues so they choose to engage with it by meme'ing it? It almost feels like those memes exist to validate the video's point by doing exactly what it's kinda condemning.

Reactions: jminter2698