Weakening finishers

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

The Rated R CMStar

I am taking about how some wrestlers have in their movesets as regular moves what other wrestlers have as their finishers.

I think this is a bad thing, as the one who has the maneuver as the finishers gets the maneuver weakened on the eyes of the fans thanks to the other wrestler who does it as a normal maneuver.

Take for example Batista and Edge, they both do the Spear, however, Edge ends his opponents with him, however, when Batista does it and nails it, then makes the cover, his opponents always kick out. This happens as well with Batista doing the Jackhammer, with Goldberg used to end his opponents.

What do you think about this? I know there are a lot more of examples, but I guess the point was made.

Moonlight Drive

I always thought there was some sort of unwritten rule against this. I mean, think about everyone who used a superkick before HBK came back, then the others after

And I don't think I've seen anyone do a powerbomb in a while

Headfirst For Hardcore

Reaction score
Someone got in trouble a couple of weeks ago in an indy two weeks ago for doing a DDT as a transition move where Jake Roberts was his opponent, pretty funny.

I guess it's alright if the person you take the finisher from isn't on the roster, like the Jackhammer with Batista. But if you want to talk in a "kayfabe" sense, you could say that Edge "weakened" his opponent enough to do anything for a cover.

CT Styles

Yeah, I've always thought this. Like, in TNA I've seen Christopher Daniels do a Rock Bottom and like you said, in WWE Batista does the spear and in 'real life' a spear from Batista would hurt a lot more from Edge, so it doesn't quite add up. But to me, this isn't a major problem and I think 75% of people have a fair idea that you know, wrestling isn't 'real', yes it is 'real' in some ways but not 'real'. It's kinda hard to say how I feel on the situation but I cringe when I see things happen on TV where they break kayfabe and well, it may or may not stop.

THE Brian Kendrick's Biceps

Batista does a whole lot of moves that other people use as finishers. I mean he does the spear, jackhammer and running powerslam. Then there are people who use the DDT, but CAWdy uses it as a finisher.

IMO it takes away from the move. if someone has a finisher you shouldn't have it in their moveset.

WWE has a rule against this in a way. It depends on your position on the card. I remember Juvi got in trouble in 2005 for doing I think the Tombstone. However, if you are a main eventer like Batista can do anyone's.

CT Styles

If you're going to use someone's move that's a finisher I think you should use it as a finisher, otherwise it takes away the credibility and power of the move.

Bigfella

Reaction score
You can throw the whole Kayfabe thing out the window.

A kick to the head would hurt a lot more then some guy jumping onto to you :y:

Kaedon

Reaction score
Thats very true, and its a testament to how lazy or dumb some guys are when they use that shit as a regular move.