WCW: Here Comes The Money

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
bRQPTXl.jpg

INTRO

Database info:

This is a TEW project using the Here Comes The Money mod created by Mr. Canada. The basis for the database is a quite simple one: “what if Shane McMahon had actually purchased WCW?”

There is not much concrete lore built into this scenario. The extent of the lore basically boils down to Shane McMahon striking out on his own, with his father’s blessing, purchasing WCW and taking it over in May 2001. But do not worry, I will establish the lore later in this post to explain to everyone the angle that I’m approaching this from, however dubious and unrealistic it may be.

The roster is of course quite scant given how many of the top stars left in WCW at the time of its closure were on Time Warner contracts. Therefore, the likes of Goldberg, Hogan, Flair, Steiner and Nash are off the table. And though he makes sense as someone who could be kept around to be a foundational piece of “The new WCW”, Jeff Jarrett will also be out of the picture due to having heat with the McMahon family. The roster that WCW starts out with in this mod is essentially the wrestlers who were a part of The Invasion.

I did personally decide to lower the popularity of WCW slightly from what the original data had it at. One reason being that I think the gap between a relaunched WCW and the red-hot WWF would be greater than what the data reflected. WCW still had a strong fanbase going until the end, but it’s clear which direction both companies had been trending in for a while. The other reason being that without much of the main event talent that even dying days WCW had, the company’s popularity was likely doomed to decline within the game anyways. So I’m basically just nerfing it ahead of time to be more suited to the less star-studded roster that I’m working with.

Establishing some lore:

I don’t feel the need to rehash the series of events that led to the demise of WCW. At this point, we should all be very familiar with the story. If not, Google will get you sorted out. All we really need to cover here is how Shane McMahon came to own WCW.

The writing was on the wall that the WCW that the world had come to know was nearing its end. As early as late 2000, it was a not-so-well-kept secret that WCW was being shopped to numerous potential buyers. At the start of 2001 however, the most realistic buyout scenario for WCW was shot dead.

With the completion of the AOL-Time Warner merger, a new chairman was brought in to head up Turner Broadcast Systems and he was looking to get WCW off of their networks ASAP. Eric Bischoff and his partners at Fusient Media Ventures had all but solidified their plans for purchasing and relaunching WCW, but when they learned that the company would be left without a television home after March 2001, those plans quickly went up in smoke. Pursuing the purchase of a company like WCW with no guarantee of having a platform for their product to be shown on just didn’t make good business sense.

As WCW remained in limbo approaching the end of its run on television, Vince McMahon became very interested in buying out his competition, whom he had effectively squashed at this point. With Vince essentially being the only suitor at this point, the price tag for the company was shockingly low. As he pondered this business opportunity and confided with those close to him about the possibility of buying WCW, he was caught off guard by his own son, Shane McMahon, expressing interest in buying the company himself.

Shane was eager to strike out on his own and build his own fortune, independent of his father. Vince of course was averse to this idea initially and proposed absorbing WCW into WWF, making it its own brand, and giving the reins of the new brand over to Shane. However, this wasn’t enough for Shane. Seeing the determination his son had to forge his own path, Vince decided he’d back off and give Shane the opportunity to buy his rival company.

At the very least, Vince knew WCW was of little value without a TV deal and the roster would be gutted due to many of the top stars having Time Warner contracts that would allow them to sit at home and be paid millions. In Vince’s eyes, WCW was already too broken to be rebuilt into any sort of real competition to his own company and, in all likelihood, Shane would likely be looking to sell the company himself within a few years once he realized what he’d gotten himself into.

So, Vince relented and granted Shane a window of opportunity to get a plan in order. Shane was quickly written off of WWF programming amidst a McMahon family feud that was set to come to a head at WrestleMania X-Seven in order to get an offer to acquire WCW ready. In lieu of Shane’s absence, the proposed Vince vs. Shane match at WrestleMania was switched to Vince vs. Mick Foley to cap off the long-running conflict between the two men.

Shane then quickly got to work on trying to acquire WCW, and was able to use his established connections to create a venture capital fund. Shane would be the primary investor, but also received significant contributions from investors, including Kenneth Feld of Feld Entertainment - a powerful live entertainment company known for producing shows such as Monster Jam, Disney On Ice and Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus. Shane submitted his bid to take over ownership of WCW, and the purchase was approved in March 2001, just days before the final Nitro was broadcasted on TBS.

WCW was now off the air, with a new owner in Shane McMahon, who was taking a huge roll of the dice with his purchase of the company. There was no way of knowing if the fans that once lifted WCW to wrestling supremacy would remain committed to the new WCW, especially after so much instability over the previous three years. Shane was immensely ambitious, but also woefully inexperienced at running any company, nevertheless a wrestling company that had been hanging by a thread for some time now. However, with WCW off the air, there was an opportunity to create a totally fresh start for the company, rebuilt under a new vision, headed up by someone young and hungry to prove himself. Would that vision be realized? And where would it take the company? That was all yet to be seen.

Additional notes:

So, I’ve done a couple of 2001-based projects before, both with WCW and WWF during The Invasion. I don’t want to retread a lot of the same stuff that I’ve done before, so I’m definitely going to be looking to go outside of the box as much as I can, within reason, for this project.

My last WCW 2001 project began after WCW Sin and was based around the idea of Bischoff and the Jarretts buying WCW and moving it to Nashville. It was certainly going to trend in the direction of a more Southern-style entertainment inspired pretty heavily by early TNA and WCW tradition. Therefore, you can expect this project to go in a pretty different direction.

I’m taking the clean slate that I have for WCW at this time and I’m going to do the most I can to create a new identity going forward. As always, I’m going to try to put myself in the mindset of the individual that I’m playing as in this game. Meaning that many of the decisions I make are going to come down to asking myself some form of the question: “what would Shane McMahon do?”. With all of that in mind, I want to give a fair warning to anyone who is really married to the identity of WCW as you know it that this new WCW is likely going to diverge quite a bit from what it has been historically.

Anyways, we’ll see how this goes. It shouldn’t be a huge challenge to keep the company afloat, since we aren’t in a dire financial situation, nor are we saddled with too many outlandishly large contracts. It will definitely be a challenge to get back to competing with WWF, but I do hope to reach that somewhere (way) down the line. The biggest, most pressing challenge for me is just going to be making the company interesting with the pieces that I have at my disposal and essentially starting from scratch creatively.

Before I start, I need to shout-out Big Papa, whose old TEW projects are the inspiration for the format I’m going to be using with this BTB.

Anyways, wish me luck.

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
OTpMM77.png

gFGPhVz.png

Founded: 1988
Owner: Shane McMahon
Booker: Shane McMahon
Based In: Charlotte, North Carolina (Mid Atlantic)
Size: Medium
Style: Ruthless Aggression

3VGBluH.png

Wrestlers

Air Paris
Air Styles
Big Vito
Billy Kidman
Booker T
Chavo Guerrero Jr.
Chuck Palumbo
Diamond Dallas Page
Elix Skipper
Evan Karagias
Fit Finlay
Hugh Morrus
Jamie Knoble
Jason Jett
Jimmy Yang
Johnny Swinger
Johnny The Bull
Juventud Guerrera
Kanyon
Kaz Hayashi
Kid Kash
Kid Romeo
Kwee Wee
Lance Storm
Lash LeRoux
Mark Jindrak
Mike Awesome
Mike Sanders
Rob Van Dam
Sean O’Haire
Shane Helms
Shannon Moore
Shawn Stasiak
Simon Diamond
Steve Corino
TAKA Michinoku
Tony Marinara

Alliances

Air Raid - Air Styles and Air Paris
Chuck Palumbo and Sean O’Haire
Double Dare - Evan Karagias and Shannon Moore
Elix Skipper and Kid Romeo
Jung Dragons - Jimmy Yang and Kaz Hayashi
The Mamalukes - Big Vito, Jonny the Bull and Tony Marinara
Simply Sensational - Johnny Swinger and Simon Diamond

Managers

Dawn Marie - Manages Simply Sensational
Stacy Kiebler - Manages Shawn Stasiak
Torrie Wilson - Manages Billy Kidman

On-Air Personalities

WCW Owner - Shane McMahon
Commentary Team - Tony Schiavone, Mike Tenay and Cyrus
Ring Announcer - David Penzer
Interviewer - Alicia Webb
Referees - Billy Silverman, Charles Robinson and Nick Patrick

Backstage Staff

Arn Anderson
Steve Keirn
Terry Taylor

rW9psia.png

WCW World Heavyweight Championship
Champion: Diamond Dallas Page (x4)
Reign Began: Sunday, Week 4, August 2001 (WCW Collision Course)

Defenses: 0
Prestige: 79

WCW United States Championship
Champion: Steve Corino (x1)
Defenses: 0
Prestige: 64

WCW Cruiserweight Championship
Champion: Shane Helms (x1)
Reign Began: Sunday, Week 3, March 2001 (WCW Greed)
Defenses: 3
Prestige: 46

WCW World Tag Team Championship
Champion: Chuck Palumbo & Sean O’Haire (x2)
Defences: 0
Prestige: 60

SmcXW0i.png

Television

Friday Night Ignition
zGXQtVM.png

Main Network: FX
Timeslot: Friday Late Evening
Coverage In: USA, Canada, British Isles, Japan
Length: 90 minutes
Announce Team: Tony Schiavone, Mike Tenay and Cyrus

Pay-Per-Views

The Great American Bash
KJFKalX.png

Date: Sunday, Week 4, June

Boiling Point
9jW88hj.png

Date: Sunday, Week 4, July

Collision Course
N8ImdM3.png

Date: Sunday, Week 4, August

BOCreU9.png

1. March-June 2001 - Rebooting/A New Dawn - Great American Bash
2. July 2001 - Heating Up - Boiling Point
3. August 2001 - Heading For a Collision - Collision Course

Last edited:

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
-- Reserved --

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
H2DtpZI.png

MARCH through JUNE 2001

Rebooting / A New Dawn

After it became worldwide news that Shane McMahon had acquired WCW, the primary competition of his own father’s company, questions quickly abounded about what kind of future World Championship Wrestling had in the industry. For onlookers who had followed the company over the years, it was clear that 2001 was a year of dire straits for the company like they had never seen before. Plummeting in popularity as many of their stars shuffled in and out of the fold, crippled by either bad or, at the very least, inconsistent booking… Meanwhile the World Wrestling Federation seemed incapable of missing, as they continued to ride the incredible wave of success they had been enjoying since the ascent of such stars of Stone Cold, The Rock, Mankind and D-Generation X helped to propel them to ratings supremacy over WCW, supplemented by the arrival of new sensations like Kurt Angle, Chris Jericho and The Radicalz around the turn of the century.

When the final Nitro on TBS went off the air on March 26, 2001, it was already known that the company had been sold to Shane McMahon. Of course, it wasn’t clear what that meant in the grand scheme of things. Without further clarification, fans were left to wonder if WCW would be back in the future with the same cast of stars, operating independently and once again trying to take the fight to WWF as they had been over the last several years, or if this was all an elaborate scheme by the McMahon family where Vince would be the man actually pulling the strings from behind the scenes, as some pundits would speculate. For weeks after the final Nitro, it was virtual radio silence as rumors and conjecture ran rampant. The only official information coming out of the WCW camp for a while was a bulletin on their website telling fans to stay tuned as a “new dawn” was coming to WCW soon. Soon, the website as a whole got a facelift, featuring a new WCW logo and a new bulletin, advertising a press conference to be held by Shane McMahon at the Charlotte Convention Center, where the future of WCW would be addressed.

This press conference, held on May 1st, would go a long way in clearing the air as far as what was in store for WCW. One of the main points emphasized by Shane McMahon was that his father was not to be involved in WCW whatsoever. WCW was 100% under his control, and his mission was to restore the company for all the fans and wrestlers who demanded an alternative. Shane fielded questions from a series of reporters, with some of his answers being quite vague, while others were more direct.

He acknowledged the fact that many WCW stars had contracts with AOL-Time Warner that meant they could get paid for sitting at home, and that was too sweet of a deal for many to pass up. However, he proudly declared that the roster he had assembled was a group of hungry, talented wrestlers who had a singular focus.

The future of WCW on television was also touched on, with Shane revealing that he was already deep in negotiations with multiple broadcasters to bring a weekly show back to the airwaves. Shane would even go as far as to say that it seemed to him that AOL-Time Warner were about the only company out there who apparently didn’t see the value of having WCW on their channels.

Shane would go on to speak about the name value of World Championship Wrestling, and the impressive audiences it had traditionally pulled in. In what could be seen as a bit of a rally cry, Shane lambasted the mismanagement of the company over the years that let down the loyal fans and hard working employees who put their blood, sweat and tears into the company. Shane declared those days were long gone, promising to dedicate every fiber of his being into running the company. Furthermore, politics, greed and personal grudges that had plagued the company over the prior years would have no place in his new vision for the company. Shane would state that he had everything riding on the success of WCW, not the least of which included his pride, and he was prepared to take any measures necessary to bring the company back to prosperity.

One proclamation made in the heat of this speech that would be somewhat contentious among critics was Shane saying that in order for WCW to be rebuilt, it would need to evolve. A simple enough statement, but one that would be picked apart endlessly in the days that followed. Some fans liked the sound of an evolved WCW, while other diehard fans and traditionalists took this as a sign that Shane would be all too happy to discard the legacy of WCW in favor of his own vision - a concept that some were vehemently against. While it would quickly become clear that Shane wasn’t going to completely do away with all of the tenants that had given WCW its identity, it was also certainly the case that many changes would be coming that would differentiate the rebooted WCW from the WCW that fans had come to know. But that was all yet to be revealed.

When asked when fans should expect to see the new WCW debut, Shane grinned and announced that WCW was returning to PPV the very next month, at the end of June, with the next installment of The Great American Bash. Shane put over the event as an essential part of WCW’s history that was now going to be the launching pad for the next chapter in the company’s history, and a pivotal yearly PPV going forward, labeling it as “WCW’s premier summer event”. In another nod to the history of WCW, it was announced that the event would take place at the Norfolk Scope, home to many of the most historic matches and moments in the company’s decorated history.

As for the main event: Shane wanted to shine the spotlight on two of WCW’s workhorses whose unwavering commitment to the company had “kept the lights on” when times were looking tough. Therefore, the main event would feature the double champion Booker T putting his World Heavyweight Championship on the line against Diamond Dallas Page!

To conclude the press conference, Shane welcomed out many of the stars of WCW who fans could expect to see in Norfolk. This assembly of talent included double champion Booker T, Diamond Dallas Page, Billy Kidman, Kanyon, Cruiserweight Champion Shane Helms, Tag Champions Sean O’Haire and Chuck Palumbo, Shawn Stasiak, Stacy Kiebler and Buff Bagwell. The talent posed for a photo-op as Shane clapped proudly. Though Shane clearly looked satisfied with himself as the press conference wrapped up, critics online and in print didn’t hesitate to point out the perceived lack of star power among the collection of talent that assembled on the stage that night. For a company that apparently had grand designs of being a major player going forward, it seemed they had just rolled out perhaps the thinnest roster in company history. But, sympathizers would point out that Shane was behind the 8-ball when it came to assembling his roster, and it might be on him to try and organically raise his roster's star power. Certainly with all that WCW had been through in recent history, including a full-on buyout, they obviously weren't about to be at full force.

Nonetheless, it would be fair to say that most spectators left the press conference feeling stirred by Shane's speech and the declarations he made, but underwhelmed by the roster members he had revealed and a lack of concrete information regarding what was to come next. Fortunately, The Great American Bash was around the corner and it would go a long way in establishing where the company was heading, as well as proving that Shane McMahon was hiding a few tricks up his sleeve that were yet to be revealed…

The Great American Bash 2001

BjETYkf.jpg

Date: Sunday, Week 4, June 2001
Venue: Norfolk Scope
Attendance: 11,191
Buy Rate: 3.37
Theme Song: "Elevation" - U2

The Norfolk Scope hosted the first event of the “new” WCW era. Not a fake, Vince Russo-style reboot, but a true new era of WCW under new ownership, which for all intents and purposes had been stripped bare and rebuilt from scratch, pulling from what remained of the company in 2001 as AOL-Time Warner booted it off the air, and combining that with a new vision held by none other than Shane McMahon.

The voice of WCW, Tony Schiavone
welcomed fans to the pay-per-view, joined by “The Professor” Mike Tenay, and the newest addition to the WCW broadcast team: the man known as Cyrus, who quickly established himself as the snide color commentator of the trio.

The show began with an in-ring promo by the new owner where Shane once again gave a pseudo-rally cry, inciting the fans and promising a night full of top notch action and many surprises. The participants of the main event made their way out to the ring to hype up their World Heavyweight Championship encounter, with both Booker T and Diamond Dallas Page coming across cordial to one another, and excited to usher in a new era. However, the party was crashed by a man that was no stranger to “The Master of the Diamond Cutter” - Kanyon.

In what was perhaps a display of the unpredictability that Shane McMahon’s WCW would come to be known for, the main event would end up switched on the spot. After some verbal sparring between Booker, DDP and Kanyon, Shane would announce that the main event would now also feature Kanyon, setting up a triple threat match for the championship! Booker T was a game champion, happy to take on the challenge. Page seemed a bit unnerved that Kanyon was now interjecting himself into his title match, especially with the complicated relationship between the two men over the years.

The very first match of the pay-per-view was a safe choice. It was the first of several triple threat matches that would take place on the night, as Team Canada, consisting of Lance Storm and Mike Awesome, defeated The Jung Dragons and the team of Elix Skipper & Kid Romeo, who notably were not carrying their Cruiserweight Tag Team Championship belts, which were in fact retired. In a match that got good time to allow each team to display their exciting brand of offense, Lance Storm and Mike Awesome took the win rather decisively, after which Lance Storm would wave his Canadian flag to a chorus of boos.

Moving on, perennially petulant heel Buff Bagwell made his way to the ring with a microphone in hand. Referencing an incident that took place back in March at Greed, Buff accused Sean O’Haire and Chuck Palumbo of trying to end his career by breaking his neck. In a scene that was quite reminiscent to the squash of Totally Buffed back at Greed, O’Haire and Palumbo made their way out to the ring, all business, and Sean O’Haire proceeded to handedly defeat Buff Bagwell in a somewhat unremarkable bout that served to further cement the tag champs as a serious threat to anyone on the roster.

Backstage, fans were greeted by the new WCW interviewer, Alicia Webb, formerly known as Ryan Shamrock in WWF. She was standing by with Johnny The Bull, looking to get his take on the future of WCW. Though, before Johnny could get much mic time in, he was interrupted by a debuting duo - Johnny Swinger and Simon Diamond, accompanied by their valet Dawn Marie. The team, who had been with ECW when it closed, quickly introduced themselves to the WCW fanbase as “Simply Sensational”. Upset that Johnny was getting interviewed, rather than her clients, she would challenge Johnny to meet Simon Diamond in the ring later tonight to prove who was more worthy of the hype.

In the following match, Billy Kidman defeated “The Mecca of Manhood” Shawn Stasiak. A good, clearcut face versus heel encounter where Stasiak’s valet, Stacy Keibler, did her best to steal a victory for her client, but to no avail. Kidman came out of the encounter looking clearly primed to be a force to be reckoned with, and the post-match shenanigans would only advance his overness with the crowd. After securing the win, Keibler confronted Kidman in the ring, allowing Stasiak to ambush him from behind. After a short beatdown ensued, Torrie Wilson made a surprise return to the company, running out to Kidman’s aid, fighting off Keibler and allowing Kidman to turn the tables on Stasiak. The reunion of Kidman and Wilson on-screen was very well received, and positioned the duo to be a successful act going forward.

Simon Diamond and Johnny The Bull had the next match, which brought the crowd back to earth a little bit. Frankly, both men were of pretty low interest to the fans in attendance, especially Diamond who was virtually unknown to most viewers. Having Dawn Marie in his corner certainly benefited him, both in terms of giving the crowd a reason to care about him and in regards to helping him win the match, as she distracted the referee at an opportune time to prevent Diamond from being pinned. In the end, Diamond won the match with his fireman’s carry inverted DDT known as The Simonizer. For being a bit of a lame duck in the middle of the PPV, Shane saw the match as a “necessary evil”, needing to bolster the undercard in order to have a well fleshed out roster when it came time to return to TV.

If the prior match was a wet blanket for the crowd, then the next match certainly served to reignite the fire. Cruiserweight Champion “Sugar” Shane Helms made a successful defense of his title, battling his former Three Count brethren Shannon Moore and Evan Karagias, despite the fact that Moore and Karagias were aligned in their mission to dethrone Helms. The match was high-flying and eye-catching, and Helms should have certainly been doomed, defending his title against two men who were still technically a tag team. But, as is often the case, the realization that only one man can win the match was the undoing for Moore and Karagias, and once they turned on each other over who should win, Helms was able to take advantage and finish off Karagias with the vaunted Verterbreaker.

In what would be the semi-main event of the evening, another familiar face from ECW’s dying days made his presence felt. “The King of Old School” Steve Corino made his way to the ring, met by a chorus of boos. He addressed that he was scheduled to take on Hugh Morrus, and proceeded to cut a condescending promo towards the former Hugh G. Rection. Notably, Cyrus made no attempt to hide his adoration for Corino on commentary, as he showered the former ECW Champion with praise, to the point of drawing the ire of Tenay and Schiavone.

Morrus entered the match with purpose after being pelted with verbal barbs by Corino, and very well could have won the match, if not for a timely distraction by Cyrus on the outside. The new color commentator tried his best to downplay his part in the distraction, framing it as completely accidental, but the fact of the matter is it bought Corino time to regain the upper hand and send Morrus careening into the steel steps. Ultimately, Corino finished Morrus off with the Old School Expulsion, eliciting even more praise from Cyrus, who designated Corino as the new face of the company.

At last it was time for the main event. After a night of many unfamiliar faces and lower card wrestlers getting shine, it was time for three of the most recognizable stars of the WCW roster to go to war. In an exciting match that blew away every other match on the card thanks to its sheer drama and high stakes, Booker T retained his World Heavyweight Championship with his patented Book End on Kanyon. DDP was just milliseconds late to breaking up the cover, and would sell his extreme disappointment after the bell rang. Booker T celebrated the victory as pyro went off and red, white and blue confetti cascaded from the roof. Quite the scene to cap off the main event, punctuating a great, straight up wrestling match with no hijinks that immediately separated this version of WCW from the previous incarnation.

However, the night wasn’t over just yet as Booker T’s theme music was abruptly cut, complete with a loud distortion and piercing feedback. As Booker T stood on the second rope, now appearing quite confused about why his music had been cut, the unmistakable opening riffs of “Walk” by Pantera cut through the arena!

The crowd instantly shot to life, as none other than “The Whole F’n Show” Rob Van Dam walked out onto the stage with a large smile painted on his face. Both Booker T and Diamond Dallas Page, as well as Kanyon when he regained his wits, looked completely baffled to see Rob Van Dam appear in the arena. The pop was thunderous, and left no doubt whatsoever that RVD was here to be a factor. The show faded off air with a shot of Van Dam hitting his signature “ROB. VAM. DAM.” taunt, as the crowd chanted along with him. This image would go down as the first iconic moment of the WCW reboot, and one that’s significance could hardly be overstated.

---

Quick Results

Dark Match
Jason Jett def. Julio Dinero

(39)

Dark Match
Kid Kash def. Chris Harris

(46)

Team Canada def. The Jung Dragons and Skipper & Romeo
(61)

Sean O’Haire def. Buff Bagwell
(54)

Billy Kidman def. Shawn Stasiak
(49)

Simon Diamond def. Johnny The Bull
(41)

Shane Helms © def. Evan Karagias and Shannon Moore

(59)

Steve Corino def. Hugh Morrus
(44)

Booker T © def. Kanyon and Diamond Dallas Page

(79)

Show Rating: 75

---

The Great American Bash 2001 would go on to be viewed as an all-around successful maiden voyage for Shane McMahon’s WCW. In hindsight, perhaps it was the right call by Shane McMahon to not reveal too much, as it seemed to temper expectations and teed his roster up to overdeliver. Despite only announcing one match beforehand, the curiosity about what the new WCW would have to offer proved to be enough to draw in a rather significant crowd to the Norfolk Scope, and the series of surprises that took place throughout the night kept those fans enthralled throughout, crescendoing with the reveal of Shane’s crown jewel free agent signing: Rob Van Dam!

“Mr. PPV” was of course a coveted free agent and had been expected for some time to be signing with the WWF. So much so, that his name was hardly mentioned by onlookers when pontificating on who WCW might bring in for their big reboot. And apparently, Van Dam was very close to signing a deal with The Fed when Shane swooped in to persuade to join WCW.

So what factors drew Van Dam in to sign with Shane?

Well, one thing most pundits didn’t expect, or didn’t account for, was the amount of ECW influence that Shane actually was interested in bringing into WCW. From the very top of the show where Cyrus was introduced as color commentator, to the surprise debut of Diamond, Swinger and Dawn Marie, to the placement of Steve Corino in the semi-main event of the evening, one thing that was clear from The Great American Bash was that Shane was going to embrace the remnants of ECW in order to bolster his roster. This, in fact, came as a surprise to many, who assumed Shane would seek to sign any ex-WWF and WCW talent he could find, sticking to a traditional sports entertainment style roster composition. But, for the time being at least, this was not so.

Furthermore, Van Dam perceived WCW as a place where he could have more autonomy over his character, which was a valid belief. Shane was so invested in presenting Van Dam in a way that he would favor, that he even paid for the rights to Van Dam’s iconic “Walk” theme song. Apparently, this promise of a heavy investment in Van Dam made a big impression on RVD, and was a decisive factor in bringing him onto the team.

The night was also viewed as a success in regard to setting up many of the wrestlers who would go on to play big roles over the coming months. Though there were portions of the show - such as Simon Diamond vs. Johnny The Bull - that threatened to zap the crowd’s interest, they would prove to be important in supplementing a roster that was in bad need of a facelift. The value of some of the lower card acts featured on the show would not be revealed for months to come, but would pay off in the long run. Meanwhile, victories by the likes of Sean O’Haire, Billy Kidman and Team Canada would feel more immediately beneficial, as fans were clearly ready to see these underrated talents climb the card.

As for what came next for WCW, they advertised their next PPV offering coming up at the end of July: a new show named Boiling Point which would appropriately be held at the American Airlines Arena, home of the Miami Heat.

Throughout The Great American Bash, a couple of segments hinted at what was to come at Boiling Point. In one such case, Mark Jindrak appeared in Shane’s office, complaining about being left off the show, leading to Shane promising Jindrak a match for Boiling Point. In another, Team Canada gave a backstage promo late in the night where they warned O’Haire and Palumbo to count their days, as they were coming for their World Tag Team Championship. This match would be confirmed for Boiling Point via a graphic moments later. Though more vague, the commentary team also encouraged fans to check out Boiling Point to see what was coming next for Booker T, Rob Van Dam, Steve Corino and more.

With their first event of the reboot in the books, WCW could feel a bit of relief. The show was a success by any standard, attracting even more buzz than expected and ending on a moment that would go down as a highlight in wrestling in 2001. Following up would be a challenge in itself though. The air of mystery would not be so thick going forward and it was going to be virtually impossible to top the big reveal at the end of The Great American Bash. Not to mention, it was easy enough to debut Rob Van Dam for the huge pop, but following through on that momentum would be a different conversation. Furthermore, the gap between the top of the card and the rest of the roster was clearly quite significant and it was imperative to build up some new stars to take the weight off of the established main eventer’s shoulders. But that would prove to be a long-term project. No easy task, but Shane saw himself as being up to the test. Whether that would be through the progression of some young talent, or the recruitment of some outside stars - or perhaps even both - was yet to be seen...

---

Last edited:

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
H2DtpZI.png

JULY 2001

Heating Up

With the first pay-per-view event of the new era in the books, a clearer image of the future of WCW was starting to take shape. The wrestling world was abuzz about the occurrences of The Great American Bash, particularly the debut of Rob Van Dam. But now, fans wanted to see what was coming next. Shane McMahon had announced at The Great American Bash that July’s pay-per-view event would be named Boiling Point and would emanate from the American Airlines Arena in Miami. This piqued the interest of many, since it was a new name for a WCW event and would be taking place in the month which had traditionally held Bash At The Beach. In years prior, Bash At The Beach had become one of the marquee events in the company, famous for such events as the debut of Hulk Hogan, the reveal of the nWo, and the 1998 tag team main event featuring NBA superstars Dennis Rodman and Karl Malone. It seemed now that Bash At The Beach was no more, being retired in favor of a show of Shane McMahon’s design. Shane O’Mac would comment later on that he opted to end Bash At The Beach due its heavy association with the “Hulk Hogan era” of WCW, and the repetitiveness of the “Bash” name, alongside The Great American Bash.

In the run-up to the Boiling Point pay-per-view, WCW put a concerted effort into press in the Miami area, sending out top stars like Booker T, Billy Kidman, Torrie Wilson and Shane Helms to do radio and television interviews, as well as charity events. The ball was rolling now for WCW and they were putting forth the effort to continue bringing eyes back to their product. The most memorable publicity stunt from the build to Boiling Point would see Booker T visiting the Miami Dolphins during the offseason and shooting an online skit where he beat up the Dolphins’ mascot, T.D. This would not be the full extent of the Dolphins’ involvement with the Boiling Point pay-per-view, as multiple members of the roster including Todd Wade, Spencer Folau and All-Pro linebacker Zach Thomas would be present in the crowd for the show.

For as exciting as all this new press was for WCW, the most exciting development during the month of July was Shane McMahon’s interview with TV Guide magazine. Several fascinating bits of insight came out of the interview. For one, McMahon revealed some of the industry veterans he had brought in to work behind the scenes with him. Those individuals included Arn Anderson, Johnny Ace, Terry Taylor and Steve Keirn as producers who he claimed were integral to helping The Great American Bash go off without a hitch. McMahon also disclosed that WCW’s new corporate home base was to be located in none other than “The Queen City” of Charlotte, North Carolina. A city rich in wrestling tradition. But the biggest reveal and the primary reason for the interview happening at all, was the announcement that WCW had signed a deal with FX to debut a new show in August, following Boiling Point. The show would air on Fridays, and be christened “Ignition”. Shane disclosed that he had chosen to retire WCW’s former television programming in favor of creating a brand new legacy to foster the future of his company. The name Ignition was chosen as somewhat of a nod to WCW’s former flagship program of Nitro, while also symbolizing the innovative and explosive brand of wrestling that the new WCW was to offer.

Given this revelation of a new TV show debuting in the aftermath of Boiling Point, it certainly added an extra layer of importance to the show. Pressure was on, following a debut pay-per-view that had the wrestling world talking. Boiling Point would need to keep that hype going and carry the momentum into their TV debut, which would just as, if not more, important than their pay-per-view exploits. Just as well, it would be a whole different challenge for Shane McMahon to conquer. Producing stories on weekly television would be no small feat, but in the meantime, he had to be sure Boiling Point was another homerun. While it would be virtually impossible to replicate the scintillating debut of Rob Van Dam at The Great American Bash, Shane would end Boiling Point with another big moment that would generate tons of chatter, both good and bad…

Boiling Point 2001

jUqX7c6.jpg

Date: Sunday, Week 4, July 2001
Venue: American Airlines Arena
Attendance: 13,265
Buy Rate: 2.90
Theme Song: “Knock Yourself Out” - Jadakiss feat. Pharrell

Boiling Point was centered around three main things. The future of the United States Championship, Rob Van Dam’s high profile debut match against none other than Diamond Dallas Page, in a number one contender’s match, and WCW’s forthcoming return to TV.

At the eye of both of these storms was Booker T. In his sole on-screen appearance on the PPV, Booker T joined Shane McMahon in the ring to surrender his United States Championship in order to focus on carrying the World Heavyweight gold. Shane McMahon then announced that a tournament would be launched to crown a new champion at the following month’s PPV.

And it would take very little time to get this newly announced U.S. Title tournament off the ground. As Steve Corino cut an in-ring promo, he was confronted by Hugh Morrus who felt he was screwed over at The Great American Bash, and accused Corino and Cyrus of conspiring to beat him. As emotions ramped up, Shane McMahon interrupted and informed the two men that they could settle their issues at a later date, but that for tonight, they would both compete in qualifying matches for the U.S. Title tournament. Predictably, both men would win their matches, with Steve Corino trouncing Lash LeRoux and Hugh Morrus taking a decisive win over Mike Sanders.

As for the main event bout, it was hyped up with a lengthy video package that featured clips and sound bites from both men. Diamond Dallas Page brought up that he was not pinned in the triple threat at The Great American Bash and was, in essence, screwed out of a fair one-on-one with Booker T because of Kanyon. Though it was not overt, there was certainly a vindictive tone throughout Page’s segments, as he questioned why the red carpet was being rolled out for Van Dam. For his part, RVD didn’t have nearly as much to say, mostly sticking with proclamations about bringing a new edge to WCW and his desire to reach the top as a leader of this new era in the company. As for why the red carpet was being rolled out for him, Van Dam promised to make it clear to Page in their encounter in the main event.

For what it’s worth, Van Dam did prove to everyone why he was such a coveted free agent. The red carpet was rolled out for him because he was bringing an exciting brand of offense to the roster that not even any of the cruiserweights could quite emulate. Not to mention a magnetic charisma that led to him being cheered more loudly than the “People’s Champion” Diamond Dallas Page. This clearly didn’t sit too well with Page, who wrestled as the de facto heel of the match, having no time for Van Dam’s flashy brand of wrestling. The two men had a very solid back-and-forth that spanned nearly 20 minutes. In the end, there would be an ambiguous ref bump that cost Rob Van Dam, as the referee was not able to make the three-count following him hitting the 5-Star Frog Splash. While Tenay and Schiavone tried to say that the referee was taken out purely by accident, the more cynical Cyrus was quick to accuse Diamond Dallas Page of colliding with the referee as a form of self-preservation. Ultimately, Van Dam had to take his eye off the ball to get the ref back into the match, and it would be this distraction that allowed DDP to land the feared Diamond Cutter for the win!

After the match, Kanyon made his presence felt, springing an attack on Rob Van Dam, for reasons that were never exactly made clear. DDP’s celebration was interrupted, as he went over to pull Kanyon off of Van Dam. The two exchanged some words, though it was not quite clear what was being said. After standing by for a while, allowing Van Dam to reach his feet, Page’s expression made a sudden shift. He shot one last glance toward Kanyon before flattening Van Dam with yet another Diamond Cutter. The boos rained down as Page stood over the prone Van Dam. Meanwhile, Kanyon cackled, and audibly declared “That’s the Dallas I know!”. This would be the big conclusion to the show and hypothetically the final hook to convince fans to check out WCW’s new TV program.

Speaking of, the official name and logo for Friday Night Ignition, which Shane McMahon had been teasing throughout the month, would be revealed on this night with an extravagant video package that had the stars of the new WCW posing on a fiery set.

POLmPvq.jpg

On the rest of the undercard of the show, there was plenty more establishing of the midcard.

There was a title change, as Team Canada successfully took the belts from Palumbo and O’Haire, beating them mostly clean after a pre-match brawl nearly prevented the match from even happening. Despite a conclusive finish, it was clear that things were far from settled between the two teams.

The animosity between Stasiak and Kidman and their respective valets continued to simmer, as Stasiak and Kiebler attempted to malign Kidman and Wilson during an interview segment that quickly descended into a shouting match. Sticking his nose where it didn’t belong, a needling Buff Bagwell got between the duos and made some comments about Kidman and Stasiak needing to keep their ladies in line. These inflammatory remarks would lead to Kidman challenging Buff to a match later than evening, where Kidman dispatched Bagwell fairly easily.

Elsewhere, the trio of Chavo Guerrero Jr., Shannon Moore and Evan Karagias defeated Cruiserweight Champion Shane Helms and Air Raid (composed of Air Styles and Air Paris). Rebranding since going from a trio to a duo, Moore and Karagias revealed their new tag team name to be “Double Dare” with a frankly corny boy band music video. The match itself was full of excitement, as expected. After the match, Chavo cut a promo to stake his claim to a title shot, but his partners Moore and Karagias objected, and the three men argued their way to the back.

There were also a couple more debuts on this show. Or rather, returns.

Mark Jindrak got the PPV match he pestered Shane McMahon for, but soon realized he had perhaps bit off more than he could chew, as his opponent turned out to be the highly dangerous scrapper Fit Finlay! The commentators went out of their way to put over “The Belfast Bruiser” as a well-seasoned star who could really deal out the punishment. For his park, Jindrak was clearly not happy with having to take on such a hard-nosed brawler, and after only a few minutes of trying to overpower him, Jindrak opted to get himself disqualified with a blatant chair shot on the outside.

The burgeoning feud between Johnny The Bull and the newly-debuted Simply Sensational took another step as Tony Marinara returned to WCW to reform The Mamalukes and score the W over Diamond and Swinger who were caught off guard by this unadvertised appearance.

---

Quick Results

Dark Match
Jamie Knoble def. James Storm

(40)

Dark Match
The Jung Dragons def. Jason Jett and Cassidy O’Reilly

(47)

Fit Finlay def. Mark Jindrak
(39)

The Mamalukes def. Simply Sensational
(31)

US Title Tournament Qualifier
Hugh Morrus def. Mike Sanders

(51)

Chavo Guerrero Jr. and Double Dare def. Shane Helms and Air Raid
(65)

US Title Tournament Qualifier
Steve Corino def. Lash LeRoux

(46)

Billy Kidman def. Buff Bagwell
(62)

World Tag Team Championship
Team Canada def. O’Haire and Palumbo ©

(64)

Number One Contender’s Match
Diamond Dallas Page def. Rob Van Dam

(66)

Show Rating: 67

---

So with a second PPV in the books and a TV show debuting the following week, Shane McMahon had a high level of confidence, as he was receiving a good amount of positive feedback for the changes he was bringing to WCW.

His coup of Rob Van Dam was seen as a huge triumph that signified that WCW was far from dead. The heel turn of Diamond Dallas Page at the end of Boiling Point was meant to be a comparable high note to end the show on, to get viewers to tune into Ignition in order to see what would come of it. And while it was certainly perceived as a shock, it didn’t receive the same universal praise that the debut of Van Dam had. Detractors failed to see the logic behind it and weren’t sure why Kanyon was involved in the show-closing angle at all, as he had no apparent reason to target Van Dam. Certainly, the turn could have been pulled off cleaner if more time had been taken to establish some motive. Some were willing to chalk this up to a shortage of programming in the lead up to the Ignition debut, but many were not willing to give WCW that grace, arguing that Shane simply should have held off on the angle in order to create a more sensical scenario. Evidently, Shane thought it was important to have Page do his heel turn on the PPV though, as he viewed it as a crucial building block to main event storylines for the remainder of the year, which it would in fact be. Also coming under fire, was the decision to have Van Dam lose his debut match, however auspicious the cirumstances.

In more positive news, several op-eds that would be published after the event praised the new, youthful energy of WCW. The mere fact that the show’s theme was a popular hip-hop song was noteworthy as something that had never been done before in WCW, and was emblematic of the young, counter-culture audience that the company was starting to be geared towards. Clearly, the company had shifted quite a bit from the days of “Rap Is Crap”. In particular, Booker T, Rob Van Dam, Billy Kidman and Shane Helms were lauded as having a coolness factor that could really change the perception of the company in the future. Meanwhile, certain stars such as Shawn Stasiak and Buff Bagwell would come under fire, being seen as “stiff” and “antiquated” in terms of their personas, in comparison to the - ahem - new blood.

For those who were hoping to see WCW continue to pivot away from the old way of doing things, they would be pleased to find out that Boiling Point would be Buff Bagwell’s last appearance with the company. Months after his release, Dave Meltzer would speak to his departure, stating that Buff was not interested in being part of a rebuilding project in WCW unless he was at the forefront. Shane didn’t see Buff as a featured attraction, and in fact, saw little value in him at all beyond being an annoying heel that could help get faces over by jobbing. The two sides were just too far apart, and Shane obliged in giving Buff his release. It would also later come out that Buff assumed a job in WWF would be waiting for him when he became a free agent, but this would not, in fact, be the case. If nothing else, Buff went out with losses to two men in Sean O'Haire and Billy Kidman that Shane did seem to have bigger plans for.

With August arriving, it was time for WCW to truly kick it into the next gear, returning to television to build their monthly PPVs. Some new names had cropped up, some old stars had returned, heroes had turned villain and titles had changed hands. All this was setting the stage for an exciting new chapter in the company, and little did viewers at the time know that the shifts taking place on The Great American Bash and Boiling Point were just the tip of the iceberg.

---

Last edited:

King Kota

Live Laugh Love
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
iHVgAJe
Favorite Wrestler
eIHNFff
Favorite Wrestler
6SLLEQr
Favorite Wrestler
flCHARR
Favorite Wrestler
hasWyGM
Favorite Sports Team
buffalosabres
Favorite Sports Team
3lUNnUV
Favorite Sports Team
K12LIMS
Favorite Sports Team
T5Zw0Si
Sad bout Buff but like what u got so far. I think the synopsis is a nice add to the traditional tew.

I take it some point we can see roster

Reactions: Hoss

Stojy

Reaction score
Really good start to this, very enjoyable stuff. Think the PPV's bookmarked by two big events, RVD's debut and DDP's heel turns just make sense. I like how you're writing in the potential issues with the booking as you go so I can't give any feedback lol. Seriously though, RVD is a great addition, DDP as a heel is great because he can now feel fresh feuding with Booker and Van Dam.

Love the inclusion of Corino, Diamond and Swinger, and of course Dawn Marie. Arguably the talent that makes the most sense to join from ECW at this point. Interesting to see old mate Lash LeRoux get himself a US Title tournament match, but the roster was pretty thing lol.

From a company side of things, the work with Miami sports teams, the head office in Charlotte. All really fun to read along.

Looking forward to more.

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Sad bout Buff but like what u got so far. I think the synopsis is a nice add to the traditional tew.

I take it some point we can see roster
Yeah, I plan to add all the info soon. I figured there wouldn't be much of a point adding the roster before these initial events since there were/are so many debuts to come.

Really good start to this, very enjoyable stuff. Think the PPV's bookmarked by two big events, RVD's debut and DDP's heel turns just make sense. I like how you're writing in the potential issues with the booking as you go so I can't give any feedback lol. Seriously though, RVD is a great addition, DDP as a heel is great because he can now feel fresh feuding with Booker and Van Dam.

Love the inclusion of Corino, Diamond and Swinger, and of course Dawn Marie. Arguably the talent that makes the most sense to join from ECW at this point. Interesting to see old mate Lash LeRoux get himself a US Title tournament match, but the roster was pretty thing lol.

From a company side of things, the work with Miami sports teams, the head office in Charlotte. All really fun to read along.

Looking forward to more.

Thank you for the feedback, Stoj, I really appreciate it.

I assumed RVD, Corino and Cyrus would be obvious slam dunks for most but Diamond and Swinger was more of a risk. I felt I needed more non-cruiserweight teams though and I always liked them in late ECW. I've booked a good bit ahead in TEW and I think by the end of the year they'll be really well established for anyone who's skeptical of their inclusion.

You're right about LeRoux. If I had more to work with, you likely wouldn't see him around much, but for these early months at least he'll be given some stuff to do.

The Charlotte detail is one built into the database that I decided to roll with. Technically, the company based in the Mid Atlantic so I coulda opted for a few locations, like Baltimore, Norfolk or maybe D.C. but Charlotte suited me best. The stuff with the Dolphins was all me though, and I thought it was a nice touch to make the "build up" a little more interesting at least, since there's no actual on-air build happening at this time.

King Kota

Live Laugh Love
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
iHVgAJe
Favorite Wrestler
eIHNFff
Favorite Wrestler
6SLLEQr
Favorite Wrestler
flCHARR
Favorite Wrestler
hasWyGM
Favorite Sports Team
buffalosabres
Favorite Sports Team
3lUNnUV
Favorite Sports Team
K12LIMS
Favorite Sports Team
T5Zw0Si
I really like Cyrus as the announcer too. I think Cyrus/Shane partnership relationship be really interesting storyline

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
I really like Cyrus as the announcer too. I think Cyrus/Shane partnership relationship be really interesting storyline
And it's nice because Cyrus and Tenay have been found to have excellent chemistry on commentary, which helps boost the segment ratings.

Reactions: Stojy and Chris

King Kota

Live Laugh Love
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
iHVgAJe
Favorite Wrestler
eIHNFff
Favorite Wrestler
6SLLEQr
Favorite Wrestler
flCHARR
Favorite Wrestler
hasWyGM
Favorite Sports Team
buffalosabres
Favorite Sports Team
3lUNnUV
Favorite Sports Team
K12LIMS
Favorite Sports Team
T5Zw0Si
And it's nice because Cyrus and Tenay have been found to have excellent chemistry on commentary, which helps boost the segment ratings.
For sure I do find I pretty much manager up anyone with not great mic skills that I wabt to push or have constantly on tv

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
H2DtpZI.png

AUGUST 2001

Heading For A Collision

After re-establishing their identity with two consecutive monthly PPVs in The Great American Bash and Boiling Point, it was time for Shane McMahon and WCW to turn to the future with their return to TV via Ignition on FX.

The PPVs of the prior months were bookended by two big moments meant to get fans talking: the debut of Rob Van Dam and the heel turn of perennial fan favorite Diamond Dallas Page. And though the shows received mostly positive reviews, especially for the focus on exciting in-ring action relative to prior years, most of the cards were comprised of impromptu matches, so fans who flocked to the stadiums and ordered the PPV didn't even really know what they were going to be getting. Returning to weekly shows to build towards the next PPV would hypothetically give WCW the opportunity to book matches on their big events with more heat behind them, which of course was an exciting opportunity for Shane McMahon to show what he could do.

In the build to the August PPV, which would be titled Collision Course, Shane employed a technique of intertwining essentially all of the feuds at the top of the card.

On the debut edition of Ignition from the Odeum Expo Center in the suburbs of Chicago, Diamond Dallas Page reaffirmed his heel disposition by slamming Rob Van Dam, Booker T and the fans, making it clear that no matter the regime that leads WCW, he would not be taking a backseat to anyone. Page formally aligned with Kanyon with the promise of running WCW together. However, it was readily apparent to viewers that this would be no equal partnership, as Page quickly began to display his selfishness, true to his promise of not taking a backseat to anyone.

Kanyon meanwhile found himself in the mix for the vacant United States Championship, matching up with Billy Kidman in his first bout - a match that Kanyon would come out victorious in thanks to Shawn Stasiak's presence. Stasiak himself had been introduced into the United States Championship tournament, picking up a win over Kwee Wee earlier in the night. Following the matchup between Kanyon and Kidman, which would be the main event of the first Ignition, the show closed with a fiery six-man brawl that involved Kidman, Booker and Van Dam running Kanyon, Stasiak and Page out of the ring. This would set the tone to build towards three of the marquee bouts at the PPV.

The following week would see a defiant Kidman making a direct challenge to DDP, though it would result in a second consecutive Ignition main event loss for Kidman. In the aftermath of this, Page would continue to taunt Kidman, grouping him with Booker T as guys who simply weren't on his level in his mind. Booker T of course had the title defense against DDP to look forward to, and he would back up Kidman, consistently putting over the young star in promos while denouncing Page's claims in the lead up to the PPV.

Meanwhile, before the next round of the US Title tournament kicked off, the four men who would be competing would take part in a tag team match. Hugh Morrus begrudgingly teamed with Kanyon against Steve Corino and Shawn Stasiak. Unsurprisingly, Corino and Stasiak won the tag match when Morrus and Kanyon proved unwilling to work together, being on very different ends of the face/heel spectrum. After the match, there were some extracurriculars which saw the heel trio gang up on Morrus, only for Corino to prove to be on a different level of sliminess by blindsiding Kanyon, who was his opponent in the next round.

In the semi-finals of said tournament, Corino would defeat Kanyon in what was basically a cheating competition, and Hugh Morrus mowed through Shawn Stasiak, showing a high level of focus and determination to get his revenge on Corino. The two finalists would have a contract signing on the go-home Ignition, where Morrus would once again accuse Cyrus of costing him his first bout against Corino, and threaten him to stay out of the match at Collision Course or face the consequences.

To cap off the other ongoing rivalries in the upper card scene, there would be a six-man tag team main event on the go home show between the face team of Booker T, Billy Kidman and Rob Van Dam and the heel team of Diamond Dallas Page, Kanyon and Shawn Stasiak. In the weeks prior, DDP had attempted to convince Van Dam to align with him. Not so much out of a sense of camaraderie, but more so wanting to have Van Dam under his thumb. Of course, RVD never entertained the possibility, and in promos would continually reiterate his focus on being the top dog in the company. The six-man tag main event would be an exciting send-off going into Collision Course, where the face team came out victorious. Both Page and Stasiak displayed a disinterest in engaging with their adversaries, so Kanyon was largely left to do the heavy lifting. In the end though, it would be a Billy Kidman Shooting Star Press that put Stasiak away to secure the victory. In a bid for a bit of retribution, the heel team attempted to attack the faces after the match, but when the tide turned, Page and Stasiak once again proved their cowardice and abandoned Kanyon, who would take a brutal Van Terminator as the last scene on Ignition before the PPV.

The World Tag Team Championship storyline would see the new champions, Team Canada, up to their usual tricks of slighting everything and everyone in the name of glorifying their (well, Lance's) motherland. As Lance had done before, he unveiled a new Canadian-themed tag team title belt for he and Awesome to adorn. In this situation, Lance decided to take it a step further, handing Awesome a sledge hammer and directing him to smash the existing tag belts to rubble. Before they could do so, however, the former champs Sean O'Haire and Chuck Palumbo stormed the ring and rescued the title belts. Weeks later, as Team Canada wrestled some local talents, Palumbo and O'Haire emerged and also stole the new Canadian-themed belts. As tensions continued to escalate, with Team Canada demanding their belts be returned, Shane O'Mac made a call to settle things in the ring. He ordered O'Haire and Palumbo to return Team Canada's custom belts to them, and booked a ladder match for Collision Course in which both pairs of titles would hang over the ring. The winner would choose the version of the belt they wished to carry on with, and would be granted the right to destroy the opposing design.

Following Boiling Point, where Chavo staked his claim to a Cruiserweight Title shot after he and Double Dare beat the champ Shane Helms and Air Raid in six-man tag action, there was some disagreement over who should be next in line to get a title shot. Initially, Chavo defeated Helms and Karagias in a triple threat match to seemingly earn the shot he coveted. However, Elix Skipper and Kid Romeo contested Chavo's right to challenge for the gold, pointing out they'd had the Cruiserweight Tag Titles taken from them and gotten nothing in return. Shane McMahon took their point and decided that a new contender would be decided in a series of triple threat matches, which would serve as an unofficial second tournament taking place throughout the month.

Chavo had already scored himself a victory in triple threat action. The second triple threat match would have Elix Skipper going over his teammate Kid Romeo and Jamie Knoble in a fast and furious encounter. The third triple threat match had a slate of new signings facing off, in which the recently departed WWF superstar TAKA Michinoku overcame the returning Juventud Guerrera and ECW alumni Kid Kash. This set the stage for a final triple threat where TAKA won, defeating Chavo and Elix, who succumbed to the Michinoku Driver II for the loss. Sheerly in the interest of being a competitive champion, Shane Helms willingly defended his title in a triple threat match against Air Styles and Air Paris on the go-home episode of Ignition, after which he and TAKA would engage in a staredown, followed by a handshake.

As a result of his actions at Boiling Point, Mark Jindrak was forced to face the music and had a rematch with Fit Finlay on Ignition, however this time the match would be under street fight rules. In a bid to avoid punishment, Jindrak would tap out early in the match to a simple rear chinlock. Despite the win, Finlay was not about to let Jindrak off the hook, and dealt out some additional punishment after the bell to the delight of the fans. Jindrak would go to Shane’s office to complain about Fit’s behavior, only to be blown off. Furious, Jindrak decided to take matters into his own hands in a sense, and attacked Finlay in the parking lot before an episode of Ignition. If this was an attempt by Jindrak to get even before moving on, he was in for a rude awakening, as Shane booked Jindrak vs. Finlay in a Parking Lot Brawl at Collision Course, warning Jindrak that he would lose his job in WCW if he failed to show up for the bout.

After his own return to the company at Boiling Point, Tony Marinara had a surprise for Johnny The Bull when he reintroduced Big Vito to the company, bringing the family back together and returning The Mamalukes to full force. Dawn Marie and Simply Sensational were none too pleased with this development, and continued their hostilities with The Mamalukes. In somewhat of a surprising turn of events, Dawn Marie approached Big Vito with an offer to add him to her clients list. Not turning her down immediately, it seemed Big Vito was weighing the decision over the course of a couple weeks. On the final Ignition of the month, Dawn gave Vito an ultimatum that she would need his answer by the following week, or there would be a price to pay…

And in a final storyline that was beginning to take shape on the undercard, a romantic angle was beginning between Jamie Knoble and interviewer Alicia Webb. Though he had been known as a heel throughout his WCW run, Knoble began to show a more sympathetic character through his flirtations with Alicia, who attempted to comfort him following his loss in the triple threat match with Romeo and Skipper. Someone who had a bone to pick with this was Mike Sanders, who seemed jealous of the attention being paid to Knoble. He would attempt to dissuade Alicia from paying attention to Knoble, who he saw as a loser, and tried to use his good looks and social status as reasons why Sanders should be the center of her attention. Despite the big game that Sanders was talking, he would still suffer an embarrassing defeat against Lash LeRoux on Ignition that seemed to only send him further into a spiral over the budding romance between Knoble and Webb, though any kind of bout between Knoble and Sanders was held off on, despite some fans expecting them to face off at Collision Course.

Collision Course 2001

mwvFy6N.jpg

Date: Sunday, Week 4, August 2001
Venue: Greensboro Coliseum
Attendance: 16,000 (sell out)
Buy Rate: 2.77
Theme Song: “Judith” - A Perfect Circle

The new WCW attracted a packed house of 16,000 to one of their most storied venues for Collision Course 2001. If there was any concern about Shane McMahon’s WCW losing the foothold that the promotion historically boasted in the American South, and specifically the Carolinas, selling out the Greensboro Coliseum went a long way towards shuttering those concerns.

The first PPV of the “Ignition era” began with two of WCW’s famous bonus matches. Perhaps not exactly what every fan was hoping for, especially after two consecutive PPVs where a majority of the cards were not disclosed beforehand. But, at the end of the day, Shane had time to fill and wanted to give certain acts some extra exposure on the big show. And in true WCW fashion, Shane trotted out the exciting cruiserweights for these two bouts.

The first match would see the recently returned Juventud Guerrera pick up a win against Chavo Guerrero Jr. after a pre-match promo by Chavo designed to rile up the crowd and paint Juvi as the clearcut babyface. The second match would see the makeshift team of Jamie Knoble and Jason Jett defeat Elix Skipper and Kid Romeo. Some would leave the show criticizing the use of Knoble in this match that didn’t seem to have anything to do directly with his current storyline, as well as the fact that a makeshift team beat the more established team of Skipper and Romeo.

With those two high-paced bonus matches out of the way, it was time to get a little more gritty as the egocentric Mark Jindrak battled “The Belfast Bruiser” Fit Finlay in a Parking Lot Brawl. The set-up was very similar to that of the hidden gem between Finlay and Steven Regal years prior on Nitro. The two men met in street clothes among a circle of vehicles, surrounded by a crowd of rabid fans. To no surprise, Jindrak tried to negotiate his way out of the altercation, but Finlay had come looking to deal out some pain. And indeed, Finlay would dominate much of the proceedings until Jindrak was able to land a low blow to buy himself some leeway. Though he seemingly had many openings to end the match, Finlay’s bloodlust got the best of him as he prolonged his beating of Jindrak, until Jindrak was able to open a trunk where he had apparently stashed a taser. Jindrak would use the taser successfully and manage to pick up the win over Finlay after powerbombing him onto the hood of a minivan.

Following the violent, if clunky at times, Parking Lot Brawl was a couple matches to get the live crowd back into the swing of things. “Sugar” Shane Helms overcame the esteemed junior TAKA Michinoku in a thrilling Cruiserweight Title defense, and then Billy Kidman once again defeated “The Mecca of Manhood” Shawn Stasiak to continue his rise in momentum. Prior to the showdown between Kidman and Stasiak, their valets - Torrie and Stacy - had to be removed from ringside after a brawl broke out between them.

The next match on the slate was the highly-anticipated United States Championship Tournament finals which would also be a rematch. Hugh Morrus clashed with Steve Corino in an exciting back-and-forth match, with Cyrus not masking his disdain for Morrus or love for Corino one bit throughout… even going so far to hand Corino a water bottle at one point when he took a powder from the ring. Morrus, of course, was incensed by Cyrus’ presence throughout. In a moment that seemed like it could be the end of the match, Morrus had Corino in position for his No Laughing Matter moonsault, only to be distracted by Cyurs standing up at the announce desk and shouting for Corino to watch out. This distraction gave Corino an opening to knock Morrus’ legs out from under him and turn the tide of the match dramatically. In the end, Corino won the bout after sending Morrus shoulder-first into the ring post and finishing him off with a bridging fisherman’s suplex. After the bout, as Corino celebrated in the ring with his newly won United States Championship, an irate Morrus charged the desk and grabbed Cyrus by his collar. Security were quickly on the scene to forcefully drag Morrus off the commentator as Cyrus shouted that he'd pay for his actions.

Following this would be another title match: the Ladder Match for the World Tag Team Championship. With both the original design and the Canadian-themed design hanging overhead, Lance Storm, Mike Awesome, Chuck Palumbo and Sean O'Haire laid their bodies on the line to put on a fun bout. Rather unsurprisingly, there were very few shocking stunts taken in this ladder match, but instead it was highly gritty and filled with stiff shots. The big final spot saw Sean O'Haire grab Mike Awesome off the ladder he was attempting to climb and powerbombing him over the ropes and through a table set up on the floor - a brutal but also familiar bump for the 300-plus pounder. In the end, Palumbo would retrieve the belts to add another reign to he and O'Haire's résumé, and the two of them would be sure to leave with both the original design as well as the Canadian-themed design.

The semi-main event of the evening would be a relatively low stakes encounter between Rob Van Dam and Kanyon. Though there was nothing specific on the line in this match beyond bragging rights, both men brought out some of their most innovative maneuvers to wow the crowd. In the end, Van Dam would pick up a win with the Five Star Frog Splash to get his first win on WCW PPV.

When the main event rolled around, the crowd were hot from a series of well-worked bouts leading up to it. The reigning champ Booker T had the crowd’s undivided support as he went up against the man who had quickly become the most reviled villain in all of WCW, Diamond Dallas Page. Booker T gave an interview moments before walking through the curtain, where he proclaimed that the beating he was about to deliver was not just for himself, but also guys like Rob Van Dam and Billy Kidman who are the true backbone of the company, unlike the entitled DDP. Despite losing the prior match, Kanyon was present in Page’s corner for his title shot. The two men who arguably defined the late days of pre-Shane McMahon WCW engaged in a very sound match, marked by Page working a very overtly heel style with plenty of stalling and dirty tactics being used to his advantage, including using his own wrist tape to apply a choke on Booker. Whenever Page got into some deep trouble, Kanyon would run a distraction on either Booker or the referee to let Page get his facilities back. Ultimately, Kanyon would be tossed from the match in a moment that got a big pop from the fans. The final stretch of the match saw a series of nearfalls coming from both men. In a seeming callback to his bout with Rob Van Dam where the referee was taken out under suspicious circumstances, Page clearly attempted to pull the referee into harm’s way while Booker T was attempting an Harlem Sidekick. Booker was, however, able to stop himself short of hitting the referee, but this was the opening Page needed to land the patented Diamond Cutter to become the new WCW World Heavyweight Champion!

The first ever Collision Course PPV would fade from air with Diamond Dallas Page smugly clutching the WCW World Heavyweight Championship as Booker T sat on the floor with his head in his hands, dejected over his loss.

---

Quick Results

Dark Match
Tony Marinara def. Kaz Hayashi

(46)

Dark Match
Double Dare def. Air Raid

(50)

Juventud Guerrera def. Chavo Guerrero Jr.
(54)

Jason Jett and Jamie Knoble def. Elix Skipper and Kid Romeo
(38)

Parking Lot Brawl
Mark Jindrak def. Fit Finlay

(49)

Shane Helms © def. TAKA Michinoku

(53)

Billy Kidman def. Shawn Stasiak
(60)

WCW United States Championship
Steve Corino def. Hugh Morrus

(62)

WCW World Tag Team Championship
Ladder Match

Sean O’Haire and Chuck Palumbo def. Team Canada ©

(66)

Rob Van Dam def. Kanyon
(70)

Diamond Dallas Page def. Booker T ©

(72)

Show Rating: 70

---

With a solid month of television to help build towards Collision Course, many observers thought the product was much more well-rounded and traditional pay-per-view than the two that preceded it. Though it didn’t end with the same “umph” of The Great American Bash and Boiling Point, it did end with a changing of the guard as the new hottest heel in the company took the top belt.

And as a whole, some thought this pay-per-view really seemed like a big step for the new era of WCW. There was a novelty to heel Diamond Dallas Page being World Heavyweight Champion. Steve Corino, a complete outsider to the company, won the United States Championship, signifying that Shane wouldn’t be hesitant to strap up new signees. Rob Van Dam also secured his first PPV win, which some felt was predictable, but still an important milestone to check off for the mercurial star. At the very least, this show felt like Shane’s vision really starting to be realized after the groundwork had been laid over the prior months. The landscape was taking shape for what WCW was going to be, though in fact, there were still some seismic shifts coming on the horizon.

---

Last edited: