Was Ronda Rousey Overrated?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Danielson

Champion
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
The truth of the matter is that almost everyone fails at some point in life. I think the main thing I took out if her was how disrespectful she was toward othe female fighters. She got lit up

Mr. Roman Empire

The Game
Main Eventer
Reaction score
she only got as famous as she did because she was some what attractive. any other ugly chick with a fight record like that would of went unnoticed

seabs

Walking the King’s Road
Reaction score
I always compared her to Mike Tyson - She has skills, but her weak competition + media hype and creation made her out to be much more invincible than she really was, and the second she stepped into the ring (or octagon, I should say) with someone who had at least above-average skills, she got exposed. How she bounces back from this and fares in the rematch will show her true fortitude as a fighter.

Weak competition?

WMMA isn't on par with the men's and she did have a few cans such as Correia but Miesha Tate & Cat Zingano are still at the top of the division. Plus she beat an Olympian in McMann (women's wrestling is less competitive than the mens but still it's an Olympic medal) and a BJJ black belt in Alexis Davis. Holm outstruck her due to her fantastic boxing pedigree (in the world of women's combat sports it's arguably one of the best) and having a great camp to exploit Rousey's weakness. Let's not pretend it's a case of anyone with above average skills beating her.

Tyson is often made out to be a can crusher also but he beat some very respectable opponents such as Bruno (twice), Spinks and old Holmes (not the best win but saying he wasn't above average even at that time is pretty disrespectful), plus post Douglas the wins over Botha (who's only loss prior was to Moorer, no shame in that) plus Razor Ruddock twice. Again look who he lost to Douglas (a shock win from a great one off performance), Holyfield (best jab ever? It's possible). The rest were towards the end of his career weren't they?

The issue wasn't that the opponents were all bad, they were made to seem bad by a fighter who stylistically had their number (Ronda's judo and Tyson's intimidation.) It still took a special fighter to beat either in their primes.

Reactions: Red Rain

Senhor Perfect

Bulletproof
Reaction score
It's a work folks. She stands to make a ton more money on a rematch than she would facing any other new competitor, or a repeat. Mark my words she will dominate the rematch forcing a rubber match where the money will keep rolling in. Before anyone says, "she got ktfo, who would do that on purpose?". I say to you, would you allow someone to knock you out for an eight figure sum a few months later? I sure would.

Rousey fights were getting to the point where people didn't wanna spend $60+ to watch an arm bar victory within the first two minutes. Just like wrestling in today's environment. You can't have someone win for two straight years and expect people to stay invested.

Swift

Alien Princess
Banned
Reaction score
Yeah I hope it wasn't a work, but what Senhor says makes a lot of sense :hmm:

Reactions: Danielson

The GOAT

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score
Anyone believing Rousey's KO loss was a work is either trolling or is a legit blueberry.

Dolph'sZiggler

Biggest self-mark since Bret Hart
Reaction score
Womens MMA is a sport in its infancy. There isn't a lot of depth and there aren't many (any) really well rounded fighters. Ronda was basically Royce Gracie, coming in and dominating a very new sport w/ one amazing skill. She was 1000% overrated and overhyped because she looked unbeatable facing a bunch of chicks who are simply not amazing fighters. She was the Yankees when the MLB had 6 teams and still outlawed black players.

The fact that people were openly discussing if she could defeat men in combat sport is all you need to know about the legend of Honda Housey. People were being really Blue about the aura surrounding her.

The GOAT

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score
We'll see what you have to say after the rematch.

lol You mean when Ronda loses again? Looking forward to it.

Say she does win the rematch and reclaim her title, though. That's gonna be enough to honestly convince you that the whole thing was a work just because trilogies are something that wrasslin' promoters often do to draw money?

Sometimes good/great fighters lose. And then sometimes they bounce back and win the rematch. And if that happens, it nearly always inevitably leads to people wanting to see the rubber match. That doesn't indicate that it's all one great, big work behind the scenes, and even if it were, I doubt Ronda (or Dana White) would allow herself to be dominated in such a one-sided fashion.

Senhor Perfect

Bulletproof
Reaction score
lol You mean when Ronda loses again? Looking forward to it.

Say she does win the rematch and reclaim her title, though. That's gonna be enough to honestly convince you that the whole thing was a work just because trilogies are something that wrasslin' promoters often do to draw money?

Sometimes good/great fighters lose. And then sometimes they bounce back and win the rematch. And if that happens, it nearly always inevitably leads to people wanting to see the rubber match. That doesn't indicate that it's all one great, big work behind the scenes, and even if it were, I doubt Ronda (or Dana White) would allow herself to be dominated in such a one-sided fashion.
Agree to disagree. I'll admit I was wrong if she gets her ass handed to her again.

Swift

Alien Princess
Banned
Reaction score
Pretty sure Ronda would have liked to retire undefeated, and yeah, it's not even like it was a fluke KO or anything. Holly dominated the match from start to finish, even brushing off Ronda's take down attempts like it was child's play. lol.