Was giving Christian the IC title a bad move?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Crayo

The Boss
Reaction score
Website
wweforums.net
SmackDown have lost Orton and Jericho and now their IC champion is a face, which means at least for the first two months he'll be a super face beating loads of "heels". So far, he's been facing heels like Mahal, even though he's feuding with Rhodes. In my opinion they could have used the IC title to elevate some other faces, Christian is known/over despite that title, he's a household name now.

Let's use Ryback as an example. Needs a feud, needs a decent heel to go over to solidify himself. He could have went over Rhodes after a PPV open-challenge, became the new champion, defended it against Rhodes after the rematch clause, wins again, so Rhodes can move into the main event and Ryback has gone over a decent heel.

But all we're going to get is an already over sort of old household name beating an up-and-coming heel, it doesn't help anyone apart from Rhodes moving into the ME scene.

Leo C

Backlund Mark
Reaction score
It's a good question. I like Christian, and it was an interesting surprise to see him win the title, but it did stop some possible plans I would've, which did involve Ryback, him going over Rhodes for the IC title, true. But I think there's a bright side to Christian being champion, it could help elevate the midcard. If Christian was put in an awesome feud with a heel, let's say, Sandow, and if it was well booked, could help not only Sandow, but make the midcard more interesting. However, we're seeing Christian beat guys like Hunico and Mahal, which seems not to bring the midcard up, but bring Christian down. So, considering that this can be a good thing or a bad thing and we're talking about WWE, they'll probably screw it up.

Reactions: Crayo

Crayo

The Boss
Reaction score
Website
wweforums.net
Very nice post, liked.

I agree. Christian could elevate the lower heels like Sandow but apart from him who else is there to compete with Christian really on the mic? This is where I wish Riley was a heel.

Leo C

Backlund Mark
Reaction score
Exactly, that's where I struggled, to find a midcard heel who's not a jobber, not in the tag division, or not supposed to be in the main event. Maybe they could elevate Cesaro as well, that would be cool.

Robbie Coletrain

Big Robbie
Reaction score
Crayo said:
Very nice post, liked.

I agree. Christian could elevate the lower heels like Sandow but apart from him who else is there to compete with Christian really on the mic? This is where I wish Riley was a heel.
Exactly, Riley has to turn heel, he is too good on the mic to be on NXT and theres too much competition for a midcard face, is he still in the WWE dog house or is he winning again now, last i heard he was jobbing to Jinder :facepalm1:

William

The Lunatic Fringe
Reaction score
I feel that WWE might make Christian drop the title to Rhodes this PPV and have Christian go and feud for the World Heavyweight Championship. I don't care who WWE have face Sheamus for the World Title though as long as it's not Del Rio. I can't stand him. He's so stale and boring. I mean you know what he's going to do the moment he comes out "It's my destiny".

If Christian drops the title I'll see WWE bring Christian back up to the Main Event, Have Rhodes drop the title the next ppv to someone like Dibiase, Ryback, Swagger or The Miz. Give it to a guy like the Miz, Make him have a solid run and bring guys up while holding on to the title, This would be a good way to bring Miz back up to the top and I can see it doing great things if they do that. If they go with Dibiase I'd see it as more of Ted getting revenge from their last feud. Ryback would basically be just him getting some clean wins over established stars and getting a title although I don't want to see this happen I think it will and Swagger I see getting it but I don't think he'd make any sense.

Also I think that Dolph Ziggler might leave Swagger and Vickie and go after Sheamus' World Title.

Just a few ideas. I'd love to see Ziggler go to Smackdown and feud with Sheamus.

Robbie Coletrain

Big Robbie
Reaction score
I think Kidd should have a run as IC champion, hes really good in ring and has improved massively on the mic.

Crayo

The Boss
Reaction score
Website
wweforums.net
Mattam said:
Exactly, Riley has to turn heel, he is too good on the mic to be on NXT and theres too much competition for a midcard face, is he still in the WWE dog house or is he winning again now, last i heard he was jobbing to Jinder :facepalm1:

He actually won his first match for like a year the other day in a house show.

William

The Lunatic Fringe
Reaction score
Mattam said:
I think Kidd should have a run as IC champion, hes really good in ring and has improved massively on the mic.

I'd love to see Kidd get the title but him and Justin Gabriel will still be teaming up when Gabriel comes back from injury so I don't see Kidd getting the title unfortunately, Besides they'd need to build him up right or he'll just win it and fall straight back down to the bottom.

The guys awesome in the ring, Improving heaps on the mic but I don't want the title thrown at him, I wanna see him brought up properly like Rhodes so that way he won't fall back into jobbing because honestly he is to good for that.

Robbie Coletrain

Big Robbie
Reaction score
William said:
I'd love to see Kidd get the title but him and Justin Gabriel will still be teaming up when Gabriel comes back from injury so I don't see Kidd getting the title unfortunately, Besides they'd need to build him up right or he'll just win it and fall straight back down to the bottom.

The guys awesome in the ring, Improving heaps on the mic but I don't want the title thrown at him, I wanna see him brought up properly like Rhodes so that way he won't fall back into jobbing because honestly he is to good for that.
Good point but it just bothers me that almost all of the NXT roster deserve a massive push and could carry that belt, but Vince either only pushes people so much that we now cant stand them (excluding D-Bry) or makes them job to everyone and everything, mainly Brodus.

William

The Lunatic Fringe
Reaction score
Mattam said:
Good point but it just bothers me that almost all of the NXT roster deserve a massive push and could carry that belt, but Vince either only pushes people so much that we now cant stand them (excluding D-Bry) or makes them job to everyone and everything, mainly Brodus.

To be honest almost EVERYONE on NXT is better then the people on the main roster.

Michael Mcgilicutty and Tyson Kidd are great and deserve a push!
Derrick Bateman is great! He has the look and the skill to be awesome!
Kaitlyn has improved so much since going back to NXT. For someone with only a few year's experience she's better then half the divas.
Titus Oneil and Darren Young I am happy to see on tv but really they're just the new Cryme Tyme.

Anyway in my oppinion almost everyone on NXT is better then alot of the main roster.

Leo C

Backlund Mark
Reaction score
I don't think they'll have Christian lose the title to Rhodes, it makes no sense. Why did they give him the title in the first place then? I also wish Kidd, Hennig and other NXT guys were on the main shows, but these two in special. I like their work a lot. About Ziggler, having him come to SD to carry Sheamus into watchable matches and feuds would be good, but he may be OK on Raw too, I don't know.

William

The Lunatic Fringe
Reaction score
Leo C said:
I don't think they'll have Christian lose the title to Rhodes, it makes no sense. Why did they give him the title in the first place then? I also wish Kidd, Hennig and other NXT guys were on the main shows, but these two in special. I like their work a lot. About Ziggler, having him come to SD to carry Sheamus into watchable matches and feuds would be good, but he may be OK on Raw too, I don't know.

Well for 1 it's WWE. They do some of the dumbest shit and go around in circles to do one thing. This one thing would be dropping the title from Christian so he can go into the main event status then having Rhodes drop it the next ppv. Really they're just going in circles...

And I feel Ziggler would be lost on Raw. They've already got their main title feud going and I doubt they'd put him into it as well. I think he'd fit in better feuding with Sheamus because Del Rio is extremely boring and there's nothing special happening in his feud with Sheamus.

Leo C

Backlund Mark
Reaction score
William said:
Well for 1 it's WWE. They do some of the dumbest s*** and go around in circles to do one thing. This one thing would be dropping the title from Christian so he can go into the main event status then having Rhodes drop it the next ppv. Really they're just going in circles...

And I feel Ziggler would be lost on Raw. They've already got their main title feud going and I doubt they'd put him into it as well. I think he'd fit in better feuding with Sheamus because Del Rio is extremely boring and there's nothing special happening in his feud with Sheamus.

Yes, WWE tends to do silly things, so that could happen, but I don't think it's a good decision. And Ziggler probably won't have much time on Raw because, well, normally no one gets time on Raw except for HHH or Cena, and because the big summer storyline is coming relatively soon, so unless he's playing a part on that, he'd probably be lost. And I also agree on the fact that Del Rio is boring and his feud with Sheamus is just like that as well. Ziggler would make it a lot better, but if he's supposed to be buried, no thanks. If he's winning the title and saving SD I'm all for it.