Wade Barrett Being Re-packaged?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Wrestling Observer Newsletter said:
As noted before, there has been talk of giving Wade Barrett a push and re-packaging him. Apparently officials are considering bringing him back to TV with his Badnews Barrett gimmick that can be seen on The JBL & Cole Show.
I don't watch that Youtube show, so anyone able to shed any light on this supposed gimmick?

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Its too soon for another repackenge of him. Not saying his latest character is working, but there are a number of reasons for that.

Crippler

Prove me wrong
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
Nice to see his OhNo elbow "back to his roots" gimmick worked out so well for him. As for this new "Gimmick" NOT A SINGLE FUCK IS/OR WILL BE GIVEN AT ALL.

That is all.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Bad News Brown > Bad News Barrett.

Fauche

Reaction score
Gimmick should - and I said thus when he debuted on next - that of Count W. Barrett, who rides to ring in a hot air balloon with fireworks, has a different colored rise each week and doesn't take poppycock from nobody. Is also racist against Alasakans, a family feud daring back to when a dust ant relative co-owned the HBC

Last edited:

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
If WWE booked Barrett like Bad News Allen was booked in Stampede, he would get over. No-sell jobbers, use a fork and come out to the theme of Shaft.

If not, he is just another generic heel, there is nothing special about him. as cookie cutter as it gets. Promos are generic, moveset is generic, characters are generic. A modern day Billy Gunm pr Hardcore Holly, should try get the rep of a Holly and use that to turn net nerds against him......Instant push.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Wades problems are
- He is boring when he talks
- He can't work a non gimmick, streetfight match
- He isn't overly impressive physically for a big guy, just tall
- He doesn't know how to interact with a crowd without a stable to garner heat

stick him in a tag team

Weez

Reaction score
Wades problems are
- He is boring when he talks
- He can't work a non gimmick, streetfight match
- He isn't overly impressive physically for a big guy, just tall
- He doesn't know how to interact with a crowd without a stable to garner heat

stick him in a tag team

Funny, I couldn't disagree more with half of this.

The guy is solid on the mic. When's the last time he had a meaningful promo to cut? When he running Nexus, paired with Cena, he held up his end of the TV time. Is he an GIFTED natural like a Jericho, Rock or (Dare I say it) Cena? No, but he comes off very natural and comfortable with the mic in his hands. Give him a microphone, a program that MATTERS and someone to work with that someone gives a fuck about and he'll do his job.

You can't get heat when you're in a 7 minute match with someone the crowd doesn't give a fuck about. Oh...you're the bad guy in this match against Kofi or Miz again? You guys are fighting because you got randomly paired up again, there's no story involved? Yup, I'm checking out.

Heat and Pop are as dependent on your opponent as they are yourself, much like the match flow. There are few that can "Wrestle a broom" as the term goes, and even fewer that can "Cut a promo with a broom." If the crowd doesn't give a shit about the face, the heel doesn't get heat for being a heel. If the Heel isn't a fucking monster, the crowd doesn't empathize with the face enough for him to get over. Wrestling 101, folks.

That's why you put Up and coming heels with Top faces and Up and coming faces with Top Heels when you're pushing them. When you're not pushing them, you put them with other midcard opposites and let them languish in obscurity. Where is Barrett right now?

Barrett was put with JOHN FUCKING CENA for his FIRST fucking program. And he was over. He was the scheming, manipulative heel leader, moving his pawns around in a cerebral chess match. THAT is where he fucking shines, and that's where they need to put him to get him over.

The reason he keeps getting repackaged and they keep trying is because, whether you like it or not, the guy has gotten over at the top before and they're trying to recapture that lightning in a bottle.

But to go back and agree with you for a minute, I DO wish he were more cut than he is. I dont' want him roided up like Matt Morgan or anything, but it would go a long way if he were solid and didn't look a bit soft around the midsection. He's one of those guys that you legit PROBABLY wouldn't fuck with at the bar in real life, but he's not in real life, he's on TV with a bunch of genetic freaks (Holla if ya hear me.)

Also, I don't think he's really that bad in the ring, I just don't think he gets the time to work his style of match. He's a bigger guy, and while he's not the Kane/Mark Henry size, his style is a slower, more methodical build, and you can't do that in an 8 minute RAW match, especially with the over-abundance of Speedy Up-tempo midcard faces they have in the WWE now.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
The thing about his style is that he hasn't really worked solid one on one matches. He's been booked in street fights, brawls, or short one sided matches both ways. He's really been hidden. They don't even give him a one on one regular match with Orton when they were feuding. And to be honest either him or Ohno seem to be able to pull off the knockout artist gimmick or have the look, they should've let Cesaro show both of them how its done.

I think he can be over with a group. He was over as part of Nexus and the Corre was over. Once they split he sunk, and if you put him alongside the current members still left on the roster he would get a louder reaction than who on a good day, Gabriel? I don't think he's a solo star. He may be a singles star as part of a group like Wyatt or Ambrose, but I'm not seeing stand by myself star from him. When he used to talk himself up it was as part of a group of 4-8 so it made his words matter that much more, but he can't cut a promo to save his life by himself to put over the Barrett Barrage stuff.

I think he's in a rut sort of like DiBiase hit tbh.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Agree with Weez that he is good on the mic, but is best suited as the cocky William Regal snub and that street fight gimmick just didn't fit him.

Problem is he just has not progressed enough if at all since 2010 and WWE just keep losing focus with him.