VKM turning Smackdown into a circus!

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

gcwflairchop

Reaction score
Looks like Friday nights are being turned towards the kiddies again with all the terrible gimmicks making a comeback.

SuperHero's, dwarfs winning belts, 50's style greasers with roller girl valets, etc etc.

I keep waiting for "The Goon" to come running out and break his hockey stick over one of the announcers heads.

C'mon McMahon, how about ONE legit televised wrasslin show??!!

Fatal 55

Reaction score
I do agree with you in some sence but you'r just looking at the negatie side of things... I mean you've got.

MVP
Hardy
Dykstra
Flair
Batista

& many others who don't have over the top gimmicks so i wouldn't worry about it.

& as for your comment about smackdown not being a "rassling" show... the last time i checked, Smackdown is where you find most of the better matches other than Raw, ECW & iMPACT!.

WWE's always been pretty high on gimmicks anyweis so it's not anything new.

& also expect a few more guys coming in like Paul Burchill which will freshen up the place as well. Smackdown will be fine as always but untill raw start's to get very good ratings again, don't expect anything MAJOR 2 happen on friday nights

Haight

Reaction score
I keep waiting for "The Goon" to come running out and break his hockey stick over one of the announcers heads.
Lol! I'd actually like to see that....Ecspecially if it involved Michael Cole.

I try to look at Smackdown brand as being more experimental than RAW. A Place to test out ideas,characters etc....to see what works and what doesn't. If something is successful with the audience than they can showcase it on RAW and the PPV's. Thats how I view Smackdown right now. But I agree. There seems to be a lot of lamness.

gcwflairchop

Reaction score
I agree you still find the best matches on Smackdown.

And I guess you still have to appeal to the masses who usually find "good" matches boring.

I have always been anti-gimmicks, and unfortunately I don't have much else to watch wrestling-wise right now.

gcwflairchop

Reaction score
Smackdown does appear to be a test show sometimes. And ECW definately is!

★Chuck Zombie★

Reaction score
Also, you got to remember that the gimmicks help people get over. A lot of people aren't going to take onto a guy if it's just a guy wrestling. Some people are lucky enough to have a built in gimmick (Cody Rhodes, Randy Orton), but others had to trudge through gimmicks to get where they are today (Cena, Edge etc.) and not to mention gimmicks that are more over than the person.....the Undertaker. Basically what happens is if a gimmick does fairly well, it well slowly dissolve over time until it's just the person and his personality.

Kaedon

Reaction score
Exactly Chuck. I mean you have to be an over bearing physical presence like a Brock Lesnar, Goldberg, or Bobby Lashley. I mean if a guy who is 6'3" 245 lbs debuts. "Here is Mike Webster". Do you have any idea how much harder its gonna be for him to get over with the fans?

MikeRaw

Lol I agree exactly with Kaedon and Chuck.But it seems theres two main sides of wrestling fans
-The people who want the attitde era back
-The people whojust want wrestling

Well you are never going to get either so get over it!But The Attitude Era was filled with gimmicks and crazy matches and shit.But now a mild immick like Deuce N Domino which IMO are okay some people think thats turning it into a kiddie show.The attitude era had gimmicks:Beer drinking rattle snakes,a fun loving hippie,a damn clown,a bunch of good wrestlers,a deadman, his brother and a self obsessed Rock....
Now that had all the makings of the circus if you look at it one way but the WWE made it the exact opposite of kids.
Now SD obviousley isnt an attitude Era but it has gimmicks where needed.If Deuce came in as Jon Bobby and looked like some construction worker,he wouldnt succeed.But the gimmick is realistic and it helps him.Some people have gimmicks like that,which are a whole character and some people have just cockiness or simple gimmicks and some people have an inbetween like Edge.So gimmicks are apart of pro wrestling...
If you want all wrestling watch indies
If you want real wrestling watch actual real amateur/olympics wretling
If you want some good entertainment mixed with some wrestling...Watch what your watching now:)

samborambo

Reaction score
The WWE needs a show that appeals to the younger audience to keep the sale figures up.Smackdown for me is the better show as the matches are normally of a higher standing than Raw( Khali not included). But the T&A segments and adult themes of Raw are what stop parents letting there kids watch wrestling, And seeing as kids buy the most merchandise, Which puts money in WWE pockets to keep th eproduct alive, It makes sense to have a show which the younger viewers can enjoy aswell.