Vince Russo Appreciation Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

RLStern

Refuter of Revisionist History
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
kurtangle2
The greatest and most successful writer in wrestling history. Having success in every single tenure, at the WWF, WCW and TNA.

Here is RazorFist refuting the Russo filter myth:

CakeWalker

Fancy a slice?
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
TigerMask1
Favorite Wrestler
AZs1Z5p
Favorite Wrestler
E3RY3ej
Favorite Sports Team
2fIlV8l
Favorite Sports Team
Stewart52
Favorite Sports Team
Brad6
Favorite Sports Team
OH6F0Jl
Despite our previous debates - I was always a big fan of Russo.

Brad Boyd

Reaction score
He was brilliant. Had a huge impact on DX created very over characters like Val Venis and Godfather (im sure all the indy new era fans shit on russo because women were "overly sexualized" by those successful characters) He had a huge hand in Rock and Austins segments. Beer truck, throwing titles in the river etc. What more is there to say? Unfortunately I find it interesting and baffling how much credit he doesn't get to this day for all he contributed. People choose to criticize him today instead.

Last edited:
Reactions: RLStern

Hidden Blaze

The Wanted Man
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
MOLAnG4
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
homd3TG
Favorite Sports Team
gLxCq87
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
lurU13l
Favorite Sports Team
HHst8yg
I’m hit and miss with Russo. Some stuff he did I love. I love how he made sure every single person had something to do, and how he had plenty of amazing ideas.

He also had some shit ones tho. Like the whole “Goldberg went off script” storyline was stupid as fuck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
What's your opinion of Russo as an on-screen character as opposed to a writer, @RLStern?

Brad Boyd

Reaction score
I'll always remember Hogan shooting on Russo on either Nitro or Thunder, blaming him for dragging the company into the ground. It was a bold shortsighted thing to say. People still act like he was responsible for WCWs collapse. Signing WCW to AOL was the nail in the coffin.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
I'll always remember Hogan shooting on Russo on either Nitro or Thunder, blaming him for dragging the company into the ground. It was a bold shortsighted thing to say. People still act like he was responsible for WCWs collapse. Signing WCW to AOL was the nail in the coffin.

You're not talking about the infamous Bash at the Beach 2000 segment are you? Him and Hogan both go at each other and its pretty hilarious especially bc I think both made good and bad points about the other :lol

Brad Boyd

Reaction score
You're not talking about the infamous Bash at the Beach 2000 segment are you? Him and Hogan both go at each other and its pretty hilarious especially bc I think both made good and bad points about the other :lol
I might be. I didn't grow up watching at the time and im still studying the WCW product but I've watched a number of documentaries on it. The rise and fall of wcw has that Russo and Hogan shoot included and I think that was Hogans last appearance if I'm not mistaken.

Reactions: Chris

Hidden Blaze

The Wanted Man
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
MOLAnG4
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
homd3TG
Favorite Sports Team
gLxCq87
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
lurU13l
Favorite Sports Team
HHst8yg

Objectively speaking, Nitro sucked under Russo tho. I mean on avg the lowest ratings for them during the Monday Night Wars. So I mean that means Russo just lost a step and by then sucked.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
I might be. I didn't grow up watching at the time and im still studying the WCW product but I've watched a number of documentaries on it. The rise and fall of wcw has that Russo and Hogan shoot included and I think that was Hogans last appearance if I'm not mistaken.
Yeah thats Bash at the Beach 2000, it's wild lmao Jarrett vs Hogan was advertised for the belt but somehow Booker T walked out as champion for the first time at the end of the night:lol entertaining PPV for WCW 2000 too even outside of the drama

Reactions: Brad Boyd

RLStern

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
kurtangle2
Objectively speaking, Nitro sucked under Russo tho. I mean on avg the lowest ratings for them during the Monday Night Wars. So I mean that means Russo just lost a step and by then sucked.

False. Russo increased ratings during each tenure. Specifically he increased WCW ratings an entire point in only 3 months.

Lowest ratings came after Russo departed, yet they were still the highest rated show on TNT & TBS

Hidden Blaze

The Wanted Man
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
MOLAnG4
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
homd3TG
Favorite Sports Team
gLxCq87
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
lurU13l
Favorite Sports Team
HHst8yg
False. Russo increased ratings during each tenure. Specifically he increased WCW ratings an entire point in only 3 months.

Lowest ratings came after Russo departed, yet they were still the highest rated show on TNT & TBS

I just looked it up bro. :lol They was in the upper 2's lower 3's with Russo. :toomanykobes They was higher than that before Russo.

Reactions: Swamps

RLStern

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
kurtangle2
I just looked it up bro. :lol They was in the upper 2's lower 3's with Russo. They was higher than that before Russo.

So you’re a novice when it comes to WCW ratings then since you admit you just looked it up.

Russo’s ratings were higher than before he joined.

The week before he joined they had a 2.6, on his last show they got a 3.5.

The show averaged a 2.9 for the entire month before Russo was writing. Then his first month averaged 3.35

Month before Russo:
September 20, 1999 - 3.1
September 27, 1999 - 3.0
October 4, 1999 - 2.9
October 11, 1999 - 2.6

Average 2.9

Russo’s first month:
October 18, 1999 - 3.3
October 25, 1999 - 3.5
November 1, 1999 - 3.2
November 8, 1999 - 3.4

Average = 3.35

He increased the ratings, their numbers were falling, they hired Russo to bring them up, he brought it up one full point in 3 months, from a 2.6 to a 3.5.

Politics from certain members of management and the roster got him nonsensically taken out of power despite moving ratings quick, they violated his contract, thus he stopped working for them, then they lost the entire audience he had built up, which once you lose is difficult to get back.

You either have no idea what you’re talking about and didn’t read the numbers or you’re flat out lying.

Hidden Blaze

The Wanted Man
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
MOLAnG4
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
homd3TG
Favorite Sports Team
gLxCq87
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
lurU13l
Favorite Sports Team
HHst8yg
So you’re a novice when it comes to WCW ratings then since you admit you just looked it up.

Russo’s ratings were higher than before he joined.

The week before he joined they had a 2.6, on his last show they got a 3.5.

The show averaged a 2.9 for the entire month before Russo was writing. Then his first month averaged 3.35

Month before Russo:
September 20, 1999 - 3.1
September 27, 1999 - 3.0
October 4, 1999 - 2.9
October 11, 1999 - 2.6

Average 2.9

Russo’s first month:
October 18, 1999 - 3.3
October 25, 1999 - 3.5
November 1, 1999 - 3.2
November 8, 1999 - 3.4

Average = 3.35

He increased the ratings, their numbers were falling, they hired Russo to bring them up, he brought it up one full point in 3 months, from a 2.6 to a 3.5.

Politics from certain members of management and the roster got him nonsensically taken out of power despite moving ratings quick, they violated his contract, thus he stopped working for them, then they lost the entire audience he had built up, which once you lose is difficult to get back.

You either have no idea what you’re talking about and didn’t read the numbers or you’re flat out lying.

I mean I was 10 when WCW shut down :heston

I was looking on a weekly basic, so maybe I'm just bad at math :toomanykobes but I saw a lot of 2.8 and 2.9's and 3.1 and 3.2. I saw like a 1.9 in there somewhere but that might have been after he left, but it was early 200 so I don't know. It still isn't WCW's best time rating wise no matter what. So, OBJECTIVELY WCW was better when Russo wasn't there :cudi it's a FACT because NUMBERS DON'T LIE