Vince McMahon Has Big Plans for Raw After the Draft

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Evil Austin

The Wrestling Observer is reporting, as we have been reporting for several days now, that WWE intends to put much more focus on Raw as the flagship show when the draft returns after Wrestlemania. It's being said that Vince McMahon wants to fill the roster out with more big name stars, which means Smackdown may be losing some top names following the draft.

It's being said that Vince wants Smackdown to focus more on the Hispanic demographic it's seemed to have lost since Rey Mysterio left the show to wrestle on Raw. Therefore, as we've reported before, don't be surprised to see Mysterio return to Smackdown to help get that target audience back.

---

Not sure what to think. but not a smart move focusing only on one brand.

The Rated R CMStar

It is smart. Smackdown is getting less and less viewers, and as shown, big names won't change that. Nor Triple H, nor Edge, nor all the names that have in there have managed to do it.

Instead, they will aim to a different demographic sector. Not big names to appeal the general fan, but selected names that appeal to certain sectors of the fans.

Besides, by bet is that by beefing Raw they mean sending HHH back to Raw and some upper midcarders. I doubt guys like Taker and Edge are leaving, so I really don't care that much

Evil Austin

I actually disagree, the fact that the past two years smackdown has had the same stale things and Raw has been the focus is the reason for the low ratings. I mean I know it was a while ago but all of 2007 Smackdown main event's for PPV's had Batista in them. While 2008 was pretty much highlighted on Edge and Vikie and his La Familia.

It would be better if they recieved some fresh meat. And actually made it even instead of doing the opposite making it worse and taking away what little star power Smackdowns seems to have.

But in the Raw draft I actually see them getting the following.
-Jeff (for Upper mid)
-Swagger (for mid / upper mid around the same level as Punk not sure.)
-MNM to feud with Priceless
- And possible another big main event guy like Triple H.

Wordlife

^hahahahaha but if your going to have HHH, Cena, AND Orton on one show, wtf is the point of having Smackdown then in the first place

The Rated R CMStar

-Jeff (for Upper mid)
-Swagger (for mid / upper mid around the same level as Punk not sure.)
-MNM to feud with Priceless
- And possible another big main event guy like Triple H.

Off that list, only HHH makes sense.

I actually disagree, the fact that the past two years smackdown has had the same stale things and Raw has been the focus is the reason for the low ratings. I mean I know it was a while ago but all of 2007 Smackdown main event's for PPV's had Batista in them. While 2008 was pretty much highlighted on Edge and Vikie and his La Familia.

And in Raw Cena was in every titlte match during 2007, then it was Orton. The argument of "the same people in title matches" can be played for both brands.

It would be better if they recieved some fresh meat. And actually made it even instead of doing the opposite making it worse and taking away what little star power Smackdowns seems to have.

Umaga, Mr. Kennedy, Carlito, Triple H, Jeff Hardy, all went to SD in the last draft, and they have failed to raise ratings, so it doesn't make sense to keep your biggest names in a show that even with some of the biggest names can't raise their ratings.

SD is going to get 2.0- 2.2 ratings not mattering who is in there imo, so it makes sense for WWE to take those big names and put them in Raw, where names do create an impact.

Beer

He's right. Smackdown had more viewers in the Mysterio, Batista and JBL eras.

MikeRaw

That makes sense. They tried to focus on SD, stackign them with HHH, Kennedy, Edge, Taker, Umaga, etc, and the viewership remained where it was before. People will still mainly tune in to Raw no matter what, and SD stays the same no matter what is on it. So no need to stack SD if it won't help ratings.

Great One

Meh, I doubt this is really meritable. The only person I can really see being drafted around is Chris Jericho (Smackdown), MVP (Raw), and Christian (Raw or Smackdown). The rest of the draft this year seems very unpredictable... I'd like to think Triple H would go back to Raw, but for Jericho..? Dunno. WWE could surprise the shit out all of us again and send Cena to Smackdown as well.

Jay Swagger

Reaction score
I kind of like it, but if you have HHH, Cena, 'Taker, Edge and Batista all on the same show. It would be hard for some guys to get some TV Time, or even a Title run. I prefer they just combine the Titles and have everyone wrestle on both, but that would ruin the whole point of the Draft. I just wish they put Undertaker on RAW, he's been on Smackdown! far too long as is one of their best guys in the Company.

TK.GFX

Reaction score
I kind of like it, but if you have HHH, Cena, 'Taker, Edge and Batista all on the same show. It would be hard for some guys to get some TV Time, or even a Title run. I prefer they just combine the Titles and have everyone wrestle on both, but that would ruin the whole point of the Draft. I just wish they put Undertaker on RAW, he's been on Smackdown! far too long as is one of their best guys in the Company.

I don't think we'll see Taker leave SmackDown for a long time, or possibly ever. SD just kinda seems to be "his" show.

The Rated R CMStar

I kind of like it, but if you have HHH, Cena, 'Taker, Edge and Batista all on the same show. It would be hard for some guys to get some TV Time, or even a Title run.

Somehow I prefered that. It is obvious they are going to get TV time, and as for the title situation, it makes for more title situations and more importantly, more non title big feuds.

Moonlight Drive

I guarantee this 'plan' will change 4 times before the draft. Always does.

JurassicBonez

Reaction score
Isn't that what they already do know? Seems like after the last draft, they just put some big names on SD to get more viewers and that's it. They really didn't have any focus on it. They just wanted names to boast ratings, like what TNA tried doing. I mean, they had all those guys on it, but didn't start any feuds at all until like 2 months after the draft.

It's pretty obvious now that the main focus has been on RAW and not SD. SD now has both the World title and the WWE title yet both of those champions do more on RAW than SD.

kingovkings

Reaction score
Raw has and always will be the no1 show and so will always get more focus and attention. The only reason SD got Trips hardy Kennedy etc in the last draft was to try and boost rating and viewers ready for the switch over to my tv network or whatever its called in the states. I think with this draft, You will see a star stacked main event roster on Raw. SD having most of the top mid carders tag teams and highflyers and they will get Tista and Rey back. ECW prob just stay near enough the same. I also think that we might see more inter brand feuds going on too. That will mix thing up and can have some new and fresh matches that way.