Vince back on board, WWE sale coming soon / WWE funeral thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
The sheer vitriol from a co dependent manchild.:uhoh

Kross Rhodes

Israel Has the Right to Exist
Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
Dumbest take of the day....can't even get ROH a TV deal. :reganderp
I agree this post right here that you’re making right now is the dumbest take of the day.

AEW and ROH are not the same company. Tony Khan and AEW have like three television shows on two of the largest cable companies in the country and they’re still negotiating for possibly more programming.

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
I agree this post right here that you’re making right now is the dumbest take of the day.

AEW and ROH are not the same company. Tony Khan and AEW have like three television shows on two of the largest cable companies in the country and they’re still negotiating for possibly more programming.
I mean, easy counter point to him

NXT didn't get a tv deal until YEARS in either

Last edited:

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac

He was talking about Tony Khan just swooping in and taking WWE's TV deals.....like that's how it works.

Read carefully.

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Plus didn't TK shop it to only TNT?
according to him, yes, he didn't explore other networks out of loyalty to TNT/TBS, which makes sense on a tv contract renewal year. Tony is very safe when it comes to this stuff from what I noticed. same with expansion and booking new venues. slow and steady.

I'm sure he's disappointed roh didnt get tv off the go as that's a good revenue stream for him, but I do think it was a bit of a long shot. I don't think any other wrestling show is gettinga major tv deal anywhere right now period either outside wwe/aew

Reactions: Hidden Blaze

Kross Rhodes

Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
The thing about WWE potentially dying is it would be a terrible day for the wrestling world and for wrestling history in general but I don’t think it would be catastrophic and I actually think in the long run after the wounds healed it would lead to a healthier landscape overall. WWE for the longest time had such a stranglehold on the main stream US audience that it was almost impossible for anyone else even come in and break in TNA came close when it got on Spike TV but even then they couldn’t really maintain a solid number to stay. It took almost 2 decades later after the death of WCW set up for AEW to finally start getting a strong ratings hold on to television shows and near WCW record pay-per-view buys.

When WCW died there was indeed a large chunk of wrestling fans that tuned out and never came back. It’s hard to say how likely that were to occur again if WWE folded. I do think there are people that only watch WWE, but I also don’t think there are as many casual fans as there were back in 2001. I feel like another company could potentially win some of those diehards over if they had a similar look and feel to WWE. Potentially Freddie Prinze Jr’s.

AEW would also definitely take a significant portion of the fans that don’t want to just stop watching wrestling since it’s already mainstream and accessible. That’s the main barrier for most I feel. They don’t want to track down indies. They want it on a cable channel they have access to it. Easy.

I definitely believe the vacuum of WWE dying would open up the space for at least one new challenger to fill the void, but I actually think this could even lead to a new top three. The deals WWE would leave behind would probably be split up by the next two rising feds looking to make a name for themselves.

Impact could even theoretically make a resurgence.

The main thing though is if someone can build buzz around a new project, have a roster ready to go people want to see and have PPV and TV lined up before launch, someone could easily follow in AEW’s footsteps with the new space WWE left behind, imo.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
LOL "so we tried shopping it around"....to one store....they didn't want it "well we tried".

Kross Rhodes

Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
LOL "so we tried shopping it around"....to one store....they didn't want it "well we tried".
Yeah he didn’t want to piss off his largest business partner that’s currently hosting all of his programming for AEW. Shocker.

Hidden Blaze

The Wanted Man
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
MOLAnG4
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
homd3TG
Favorite Sports Team
gLxCq87
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
lurU13l
Favorite Sports Team
HHst8yg
The thing about WWE potentially dying is it would be a terrible day for the wrestling world and for wrestling history in general but I don’t think it would be catastrophic and I actually think in the long run after the wounds healed it would lead to a healthier landscape overall. WWE for the longest time had such a stranglehold on the main stream US audience that it was almost impossible for anyone else even come in and break in TNA came close when it got on Spike TV but even then they couldn’t really maintain a solid number to stay. It took almost 2 decades later after the death of WCW set up for AEW to finally start getting a strong ratings hold on to television shows and near WCW record pay-per-view buys.

When WCW died there was indeed a large chunk of wrestling fans that tuned out and never came back. It’s hard to say how likely that were to occur again if WWE folded. I do think there are people that only watch WWE, but I also don’t think there are as many casual fans as there were back in 2001. I feel like another company could potentially win some of those diehards over if they had a similar look and feel to WWE. Potentially Freddie Prinze

AEW would also definitely take a significant portion of the fans that don’t want to just stop watching wrestling since it’s already mainstream and accessible. That’s the main barrier for most I feel. They don’t want to track down indies. They want it on a cable channel they have access to it. Easy.

I definitely believe the vacuum of WWE dying would open up the space for at least one new challenger to fill the void, but I actually think this could even lead to a new top three. The deals WWE would leave behind would probably be split up by the next two rising feds looking to make a name for themselves.

Impact could even theoretically make a resurgence.

The main thing though is if someone can build buzz around a new project, have a roster ready to go people want to see and have PPV and TV lined up before launch, someone could easily follow in AEW’s footsteps with the new space WWE left behind, imo.
Yeah this is definitely true. I remember back in the day I didn’t keep up much with TNA when it was on weekly PPV, and tried to keep up with it once it was on one of them old Fox Sports channels, but the time was weird if I remember. Once it was on Spike and I could easily watch it and follow along, I became a weekly viewer.

Reactions: Kross Rhodes

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Yeah he didn’t want to piss off his largest business partner that’s currently hosting all of his programming for AEW. Shocker.
And WWE signed off a show for another network not under the NBCU umbrella..... :thisaintit

They still Pepsi?

Kross Rhodes

Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
And WWE signed off a show for another network not under the NBCU umbrella..... :thisaintit

They still Pepsi?
I’m not arguing any Pepsi or Coke drama that you’re involved with someone else. All I know is Tony is thinking with his head and making sure that negotiations for his next contract AEW goes smoothly. Why rock the boat for a brand which could potentially still die in the coming years. His vision for ROH might not pan out. This isn’t like with Vince McMahon where SmackDown has already been on 1 million different homes.

Reactions: Canadian Dragon

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
I’m not arguing any Pepsi or Coke drama that you’re involved with someone else. All I know is Tony is thinking with his head and making sure that negotiations for his next contract AEW goes smoothly. Why rock the boat for a brand which could potentially still die in the coming years. His vision for ROH might not pan out. This isn’t like with Vince McMahon where SmackDown has already been on 1 million different homes.
So shopping Saturday Nights Mainevent to NBC when USA and them were not even affiliated and WWF was small time wasn't rocking the boat?

LOL have some balls TK.

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Sports Team
u1fTOMX
Favorite Sports Team
wild
Favorite Sports Team
HDDZGPE
Favorite Sports Team
pUtq1ms
What the wrestling business really needs is a viable third alternative tbh. WWE and AEW are the big two but I'm hard pressed to really say with any imagination that Impact!, MLW, GCW, ROH (with or without Tony Khan's fortune), or god forbid NWA are "reasonable" alternatives when they are extremely niche and are on smaller networks, or no networks.

Would be great to have a third company on a major network, be that CBS or ABC or some other affiliate.