Update: Commentary Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Deadmanforever97

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker2
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
kurtangle
Favorite Wrestler
oAYiXZo
Favorite Wrestler
bookert
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
Aed870G
What are times and matches when Commentary annoyed the hell out of you

CM Punk vs John Cena - When they were desperately trying to get people behind John Cena when 90% of them was behind CM Punk

They were annoying me especially Lawler, because they act like they didn't know why they were cheering for him, when they did .

It's because even though it was a storyline if it was true that if he left with the belt and left with it...

It would hurt the image of this corny ass company that they turned it into now.

No disrespect to Cena but I was in CM Punk's corner because I was tired of the New Age Hulk Hogan they were trying to make him

When has commentary annoyed you like this?

Last edited:

Mr. Roman Empire

The Game
Main Eventer
Reaction score
The whole 3 person team is whack. Should just be 2, the play by play babyface commentator and the color heel commentator.

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
I am just going to be general. For the most part, when either JBL or Corey Graves is doing commentary, I get irritated. I have no problem with bias, but their characters try to intimidate their partners. That is what I hate.

Jesse Ventura is the greatest color commentator of all time. Yeah, he preferred heels, but he also gave credit when credit was due. He raised his voice, but neither Gorilla Monsoon nor Vince were intimidated.

I used to love Corey but rather than be a new example of Jesse Ventura, he is now simply a pathetic JBL clone. That sickens me.

People criticize Lawler, but he was a great color commentator. And whenever a wrestler tried to intimidate JR or Michael Cole, he stood up for them. He had his opinions, but he wasn't overbearing.

Currently, Nigel McGuiness is the only color man that WWE has that is worth his salt. Heel commentators are important, but WWE makes them a joke.

Look at Vampiro or Larry Zybysko. Both heel color commentators who didn't have to be assholes to get their point across.

Deadmanforever97

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker2
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
kurtangle
Favorite Wrestler
oAYiXZo
Favorite Wrestler
bookert
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
Aed870G
I don't hate Lawler I just hate when he is forced to get involved in Vince's plan of forcing The Babyfaces down our throats

Truly if I could setup a Dream Commentary Team it would be...

Bobby Heenan, Tony Schiavone, Jim Ross, and Jerry Lawler

Because the commentary now has no character what so ever.

They can put you to sleep quicker than melatonin.

Grievous 3D

Is Currently In Stasis
Banned
Reaction score
Currently, Nigel McGuiness is the only color man that WWE has that is worth his salt.
Hear Hear!

Jesse Ventura is the greatest color commentator of all time.
But...what about Bobby Heenan?

His Royal Rumble 1992 performance & endless jabs at the Hart
Family were Classic.

Last edited:

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
Hear Hear!

But...what about Bobby Heenan?

His Royal Rumble 1992 performance & endless jbas at the Hart
Family were Classic.

I would still place Bobby under Ventura. I mean, my favorite broadcast duo was Monsoon and Heenan. But The reason I like Jesse is because he would often credit faces. And he admitted several times that he was wrong when he was. Normally, Bobby would not acknowledge that and just claim his monitor went out

Reactions: Grievous 3D

Grievous 3D

Is Currently In Stasis
Banned
Reaction score
I would still place Bobby under Ventura. I mean, my favorite broadcast duo was Monsoon and Heenan. But The reason I like Jesse is because he would often credit faces. And he admitted several times that he was wrong when he was. Normally, Bobby would not acknowledge that and just claim his monitor went out
Well...that's a fair call.

Subject Change:

I think a lot of the time these days its what the
commentators say rather than how they say it.

(Seriously...every time Graves calls Alexa Bliss
the "Goddess" it makes me cringe so hard my
face hurts)

I mean one of the reasons the WWE feels so...
well...fake to me is that you just know most of
what's being said is just Vince using Cole & the
others as his mouth piece...and its so forced.

NXT, AEW & Impact don't feel that way to me.

It feels like the announcers aren't being used
as puppets...and that makes it feel more real.

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
Agreed. That is why I like Jesse. He did not give a fuck if Vince or Eric Bischoff wanted him to act in a certain way. He was always honest to his true feelings. In fact, he was the most honest commentator ever.

Jeffry Mason

Your Local Sports Team Sucks
Reaction score
I am just going to be general. For the most part, when either JBL or Corey Graves is doing commentary, I get irritated. I have no problem with bias, but their characters try to intimidate their partners. That is what I hate.

Jesse Ventura is the greatest color commentator of all time. Yeah, he preferred heels, but he also gave credit when credit was due. He raised his voice, but neither Gorilla Monsoon nor Vince were intimidated.

I used to love Corey but rather than be a new example of Jesse Ventura, he is now simply a pathetic JBL clone. That sickens me.

People criticize Lawler, but he was a great color commentator. And whenever a wrestler tried to intimidate JR or Michael Cole, he stood up for them. He had his opinions, but he wasn't overbearing.

Currently, Nigel McGuiness is the only color man that WWE has that is worth his salt. Heel commentators are important, but WWE makes them a joke.

Look at Vampiro or Larry Zybysko. Both heel color commentators who didn't have to be assholes to get their point across.
Personally I see Corey more as a middle ground between Ventura and Mongo era Heenan than I do a JBL clone. He may get carried away from time to time but other than that, he is generally the professional guy who cheers for the heels and brags when he's right. If anything, Zybysko was a lot closer to JBL. Even as a kid I'd always get irritated at him for just constantly going off topic for apparently no reason to talk about himself. He was good in the ring and great in his TNA role, but never cared for him as an announcer