Under the Radar Cultural Event

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Reaction score
We know the deal with the Super Bowl and how big that is every year. For us wrestling fans, tonight is the Super Bowl. It also got me thinking, this has got to be just as big or even bigger than the Super Bowl, media coverage notwithstanding here.

It's not on network tv, ok, but WWE has worldwide appeal so many, many countries will be watching it tonight. Hell, I think Guam watches it!!

The live attendance will most likely be between 60 and 70,000 people. Combine that with a worldwide ppv audience and we're talking about something that's bigger than the Super Bowl.

noumenon

I'm sure it draws huge, though I don't think it comes anywhere near the Superbowl. I could be wrong though. Anyone have any numbers?

maty619

Reaction score
Superbowl 2010 attendance was 74,059 and Wrestlemania will probably be about 70,000 Superbowl had 105.97 million views on TV worldwide, I can't imgaine WM getting anywhere near that tbh.

Reaction score
70,000 Superbowl had 105.97 million views on TV worldwide, I can't imgaine WM getting anywhere near that tbh.

Considering its shown in the same amount of countries as Superbowl, I believe it will be seen with an equal amount or just under, but tbh I think it used beat that amount during the attitude era.

monkeystyle

Reaction score
Nowhere near an equal amount.

The Superbowl is free to watch once you have cable. Wrestlemania is a PPV and is an additional cost.

Reaction score
I really thought it would be closer. I'll wait for the numbers to come in and we'll know for sure.

Reaction score
I don't know. I've never purchased a UFC ppv. Not because I don't believe it's a quality product, but fights can end in less than a minute. Exciting, sure, but not my money's worth either.

monkeystyle

Reaction score
Well the most purchased WM of all time was 24 and that had just over 1,000,000 buys. So yeah, if the Superbowl has 100,000,000 views it is not even close nor will it be.

Ed_cena

Reaction score
Maybe whit streams, dvds and highlights WM can be near of the superbowl, coz wwe is bigger than nfl worldwide, 90% of the superbowl viewers are americans, the rest of the world just dont watch it, and wrestlemania well there is people from all over the world, so I think it is close.

Lady Redfield

Itchy tasty
Reaction score
I really thought it would be closer. I'll wait for the numbers to come in and we'll know for sure.

As mentioned, the difference here is money. More people will be willing to switch on a free event than pay $60+ dollars for Wrestlamania. That idea turns people off and kills a bit of the ratings.

I think a bit of the problem as well is the actual product. Of course WM is our superbowl but if the product is shit, people probably wont watch WM because they will expect it to be garbage.

Kizza

Reaction score
Pretty sure the Super Bowl just appeals to more people in general.