UFC Japan: Ben Henderson vs Frankie Edgar title fight official for Feb. 25

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Ben

Reaction score

UFC on FOX: "Velasquez vs. Dos Santos," which emanated from the Honda Center in Anaheim, California, on Saturday, Nov. 12, 2011, is officially in the books.
So too, is the hunt for a new lightweight title contender.
That's because Ben Henderson staked his claim as division number one contender with a three round unanimous decision win over Clay Guida on the preliminary portion of the promotion's network television debut.
UFC matchmaker Joe Silva, during the UFC on FOX post-fight wrap-up show on Fuel TV, confirmed that "Smooth" will fight reigning champion Frankie Edgar when the UFC returns to Japan at the Saitama Super Arena on Feb. 25, 2012.

This going to be UFC 144 for those that are wondering. Good fight, and as much as Henderson is on a roll it's hard to bet against Frankie. Rampage is also on the card, so it looks like they have the first 2 fights set minus any injuries.

Chriss

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
austinaries2
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Can´t wait for it. Both of these guy are great.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Belfort/Shields too.

Fancy Bendo for the upset.

Dademo

Reaction score
Belfort/Shields too.

Fancy Bendo for the upset.

You mean Akiyama/Shields?

Anyways, solid main event.

I think we'll see Rampage vs. Rich Franklin up there too. Rampage wants to fight on that card and Rich said even though he's not contending for the title anymore he wants to fight the top guys at 205.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Now this will be a great fight and even better since it is a title fight they have five rounds. Both have the fitness base to go five rounds and it should be high intensity the entire time. Tough fight to pick but I am a Hendo fan after how he got past Guida with relative ease.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Japanese middleweight contender Yushin Okami (26-6 MMA, 10-3 UFC) will finally get a home game.

UFC executives today announced that the recent title challenger faces Tim Boetsch (14-4 MMA, 5-3 UFC) at UFC 144.

Featuring a lightweight title contest between current champ Frankie Edgar and top contender Ben Henderson, UFC 144 takes place Feb. 26 at Saitama Super Arena in Saitama, Japan.

Boetsch looks to remain perfect at middleweight after notching 185-pound victories over Nick Ring and Kendall Grove. "The Barbarian" is 6-1 in his past seven overall fights, but a November 2010 loss to Phil Davis encouraged Boetsch to drop from the light heavyweight division.

The bout with Okami marks Boetsch's first-ever contest outside of the U.S.

Meanwhile, Okami fights for the first time since an August loss to UFC champion Anderson Silva in his native Brazil. The second-round defeat marked Okami's first-ever shot at the UFC belt and ended a three-fight win streak that included victories over Nate Marquardt, Mark Munoz and Lucio Linhares.

The fight is Okami's first in his native Japan since a June 2006 win over Izuru Takeuchi, which took place before Okami joined the UFC.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
A key lightweight bout between former WEC champion Anthony Pettis (12-2 MMA, 1-1 UFC) and fellow UFC contender Joe Lauzon (21-6 MMA, 8-3 UFC) is set for February's UFC 144 event.

Although reported as a possibility for UFC 143 in Las Vegas, it'll instead take place later in the month in Japan.

UFC officials announced the fight overnight.

Featuring a lightweight title fight between current champ Frankie Edgar and top contender Ben Henderson, UFC 144 takes place Feb. 26 at Saitama Super Arena in Saitama, Japan. The main card is expected to air on pay-per-view, and Pettis vs. Lauzon likely will be part of the broadcast.

Pettis and Lauzon both respectfully have expressed interest in fighting each other. The winner could be within reach of a title fight.

Pettis enters the bout with five wins in his past six fights. His only defeat came in his octagon debut, when he suffered a decision loss to Clay Guida earlier this year. However, Pettis, who was the WEC's final lightweight titleholder following a win over Henderson, got back in the win column at UFC 136, where he edged Jeremy Stephens via split decision.

Lauzon, meanwhile, recently crushed the title hopes of Melvin Guillard with a stunning 47-second submission victory at UFC 136. He's now 3-1 over his past four fights and 5-2 over his past seven. In fact, all 21 of Lauzon's career victories have come via stoppage (17 via submission and four via knockout), and 15 have come in the first round.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
This is going to be an excellent card.

Okami vs. Boestch will be a good challenge. I hope that Okami will be able to get the win in his own country and will be able to recoup after this loss to Silva.

Pettis vs. Lauzon is a great addition. Two exciting lightweights and the winner of that should get a title shot.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Who could he have faced on the card? It is already a pretty stacked card so I don't think they need Rampage plus they can always put him on a future Japan card.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Well they ended up putting him on the card in a fight with Ryan Bader, which should be a great fight.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
"I think they really appreciate the fighting spirit.," Edgar said "I bring it every time I fight, so I think they'll appreciate that."

For the first time in two years, Edgar gets to train for someone other than Penn or Maynard. His fourth-round TKO of Maynard last month in Houston, he said, was just what the doctor ordered – but he has no problem moving on to Henderson.

"It's really tough to predict how he's going to approach it and what he's thinking," Edgar said of his opponent. "I think Clay kind of drew him into that fast pace, anyway. Maybe he'll come in and be more technical, or maybe he'll be the one who wants to push the pace. That's the kind of guessing game we'll be thinking about these next couple of months."

MMANews.com

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Pettis is a Youtube hype job, Lauzon should choke his ass out within a round.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
The two Americans today descended on the Ritz-Carlton Tokyo Ballroom in Japan for a pre-event press conference for UFC 144, which takes place Feb. 26 at Saitama Super Arena in Saitama, Japan. Jackson (32-9 MMA, 7-3 UFC) meets Ryan Bader (13-2 MMA, 6-2 UFC) in the co-headliner while Edgar (14-1-1 MMA, 9-1-1 UFC) looks to make a second straight title defense when he takes on Ben Henderson (15-2 MMA, 3-0 UFC) in the pay-per-view main event.

Jackson fought 17 times for the once-dominant PRIDE organization, which the UFC ultimately purchased and later disbanded. The organization drew enormous crowds and record TV ratings just as Jackson's popularity soared.

While Japanese fans may be more polite than your average MMA enthusiasts, they like exciting brawls as much as the next guys. Jackson said he'll use that knowledge in his fight, but he said Edgar should use the game plan only with a big disclaimer.

"The only advice I would give him is here it's a big show, and the fans are really respectful," Jackson said. "You put on the best show you can. But he's the champion, and when you're a champion, there's a lot riding on that fight.

"Me, I'll just put on the best show I possibly can, take chances to put on the best fight so fans will never forget you. But you have to keep that belt. You have to be smart. (It's like) a chess match."

Edgar, of course, is no stranger to exciting fights. In his two most recent title fights – both against Gray Maynard – he survived first-round beatdowns. In the first, he rebounded to force a draw. In the second, which came this past month at UFC 136, he rallied for a fourth-round knockout.

While such a performance can make him a star in Japan, he's not looking for a repeat performance. Then again, he'll take a win any way he gets it.

"I'm not trying to make a habit of it," he said. "The punishment I've been taken in the past couple fights, it's like a cat has nine lives. I've used eight lives to get out of that first round. It does make for exciting TV, and it's definitely building my legend, so as long as I come out the victor, I'll get beat up four or five rounds. As long as I come out the victor, I'll do it every time."

Edgar meets a former WEC titleholder in Henderson. Like WEC-to-UFC counterparts Donald Cerrone and Anthony Pettis, Henderson hasn't faded a bit on MMA's biggest stage. In fact, following Henderson's dominant wins over contenders Mark Bocek, Jim Miller and Clay Guida, Edgar said he's "more than deserving" of a shot at his belt.

With the Maynard trilogy behind him and his belt now firmly tightened around his waist, Edgar's new duty is to prove he's a UFC champion with the type of staying power Anderson Silva and Georges St-Pierre do. And he has to do it against a top contender in what's arguably the UFC's deepest division, on a new continent, and as part of a historic UFC event.

Edgar, though, is used to the pressure.

"There's always pressure," he said. "I've got the belt. The pressure just keeps coming more and more. Now, fighting in Japan in a new market and a new country for myself, the pressure's just going to keep coming. But I've got to step up and face that pressure.

MMANews.com