UFC Changes Course, Says It's Willing To Make Anderson Silva-Jon Jones Fight

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
It was 55k for the GSP fight :p It was booked right. They heavily promoted it and they had the best challenger at the time... a guy that was going on a 15 fight winning streak, recently defeated Hendo. They had Jose Aldo defending his belt on it as well as featuring Randy Couture in his last fight.

They could definitely do it again in a big arena... just need the right fights.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
55k! Wow didn't realise it was that many. Like you said if the book the right title holder in the right fight with a couple more strong fights on the main card then they could book a big arena and fill it. I am sure that they could easily get 50K+ in Brazil for Silva's next title defence.

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Mannn if they had that UFC Rio card in a big arena... it prob would have sold it out. Had Big Nog vs. Schaub, Shogun vs. Forrest and Silva vs. Okami. Then even this last card with Jones/Machida, Mir/Big Nog, Tito/Lil Nog coulda sold out some big arena too. This next card... ehhhh. The main event is all people are really interested in. The rest of it is just... filler.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
He fought there and once twice in 08 and 09. One of those fights is against Travis Lutter. So because he had success there he should move up to that weight division instead of sticking where he is comfortable at? Instead of staying where he is CHAMPION! He's not the light heavyweight champion, he isn't a contender in that division, he is the current undisputed middleweight champion. He is NOT a staple of the light heavyweight champion. By your logic again... lets move BJ Penn up to middleweight. Why? He fought there before. He's won twice against two different Gracies. So lets move BJ back up cause he's won. NO it is not that simple. That is the point I am trying to make. A guy can't be like... oh I think I'm gonna start fighting in a heavier weight class today. It takes prep work that takes quite a while to do. I mean you got other guys in other divisions that are built for heavier weight classes but fight where they are cause that is what their body is accustomed to. Why else do you think he only fought there twice and not spent his career there? He is a natural middleweight fighter... not light heavyweight fighter. That is not saying that he can't fight there cause he can... but to say that oh he is using a cop out and is just avoiding competition by not moving up is ludicrous.

He should move up because hes totally cleaned out his division.

BJ Penn never was THE top welterweight.

UFC isnt about getting guys comfortable, its about challenging them.