UFC Changes Course, Says It's Willing To Make Anderson Silva-Jon Jones Fight

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
UFC president Dana White seems to have changed his stance on a possible superfight between UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones and UFC middleweight champ Anderson Silva.

Following Jones' most recent win over Lyoto Machida, White said the idea of a match between the two would never happen. Now, while talking during the UFC 142: Aldo vs. Mendes press conference, White seems to have a different opinion.

"I know people want to see it happen," White said. "Anderson Silva has been reluctant to put on weight. But if people are interested, we always try to make these fights."

Maybe White was just catering to the rapid Brazilian fan base in his answer, but it remains clear: "Bones" vs. "The Spider" has taken over talk of a Silva fight with UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre.

For now, Jones will look to finally face off with Rashad Evans in 2012, should "Suga" get past Phil Davis. Silva, meanwhile, is rehabbing a shoulder injury and will meet the winner of Mark Munoz-Chael Sonnen.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Meh, imo I think Dana still doesn't believe it will happen but just changed his stance just to appease the fans.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
I don't really expect the fight to happen either, i know Anderson Silva keeps saying he's going to fight for another 7 or 8 years but i can't see that happening in all honesty, think he retires after another 3 or 4 fights none of which would be against Jones.

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
The way Silva fights he could fight for another 4 or 5 years cause he hardly takes any punishment. The Chael fight was the most damage he took in like 5 or 6 fights combined. Silva fights very smart. But yeah I doubt he'd want to continue. He is one of those that thrives on the challenge and being challenged and right now... the middleweight has been cleaned out because Silva is that much better than everybody in it. And with the fans now clamoring for a Bones/Silva fight over a GSP/Silva fight... the smart and right PR move is to say what he said. Not committing to anything but pretty much dangling the hook in front of people to be like... it is a possibility.

But the chances of that fight happening... I'd say there is a better chance of a GSP/Silva fight than a Bones/Silva fight.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Why did Dana say Anderson is reluctant to put on weight?

He had no problems doing it against a bum like Griffin, but now theres a competitive fight he cant do it?

Fuck off mate.

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Griffin? A bum? he's a former light heavyweight champion. He has some good wins on his record. Just against Anderson it showed how slow his punches really can be. Griffin is more of a brawler so his punches come out wider and slower than someone like Anderson who is more technical and precise.

And as far as puttin on the weight... he is the middleweight champion first. Why should he have to put on the extra weight? Because fans want to see the fight? Its the same reason GSP hasn't put on the extra weight... it isn't easy to just say... hey I'ma jump up in weight class so lets put on an extra 15 pounds. They gotta change their diet, their nutrition, their workout, their training, their everything to get their body in top physical condition with that extra weight cause it's gonna be added muscle so they will actually probably be a little slower so they'll have to work on keeping their speed up.

Look at Mir when he put on the extra muscle to compete against Lesnar and Carwin... he still had the skills but it slowed him down and he got destroyed. He returned back to his weight and he is just as good as he was before.

So he isn't "hiding" and it isn't that he didn't have problems. Its also that he is getting older so it isn't going to be as easy to do it. Same reason why Hendo is still a light heavyweight and not dropping back down to middleweight.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Griffin? A bum? he's a former light heavyweight champion. He has some good wins on his record. Just against Anderson it showed how slow his punches really can be. Griffin is more of a brawler so his punches come out wider and slower than someone like Anderson who is more technical and precise.

Thats such a copout though.

When was the last good win he had? Probably Shogun, like 4 yrs ago. Calling him a former 205lbs champ doesnt make him any more credible now, its like saying "Tim Sylvia would be a threat to JDS b/c hes a former champ". Griffin couldnt even defend the belt, either. Not like hes ever been an elite fighter.

And as far as puttin on the weight... he is the middleweight champion first. Why should he have to put on the extra weight? Because fans want to see the fight? Its the same reason GSP hasn't put on the extra weight... it isn't easy to just say... hey I'ma jump up in weight class so lets put on an extra 15 pounds. They gotta change their diet, their nutrition, their workout, their training, their everything to get their body in top physical condition with that extra weight cause it's gonna be added muscle so they will actually probably be a little slower so they'll have to work on keeping their speed up.

My point is that hes already made weight and is comfortable there too.

It isnt a valid excuse, hes won twice @ 205.

So he isn't "hiding" and it isn't that he didn't have problems. Its also that he is getting older so it isn't going to be as easy to do it. Same reason why Hendo is still a light heavyweight and not dropping back down to middleweight.

Wut?

This is about Anderson moving up, not cutting weight.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
I don't understand the comment about putting on weight either. Silva has fought at 205 twice before in UFC so I don't know why he would be reluctant to do it again especially since this is a massive fight of champion vs champion. Plus this fight would be tough whereas Silva vs. GSP would probably be one sided because Silva is so much bigger, GSP wouldn't be able to get close enough.

I would love to see the fight happen but I think that it is at least a year away because they both have challengers that they need to get through and Jones needs to create a great streak closer to the one that Silva has rather than just two title defences.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
So lets say this fight happens a year or so from now, what does everybody think will be the end result? Silva or Jones

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
At the moment Silva but in a year's time I might say Jones because he will have more experience against top opponents. I would pay a lot to watch this fight happen.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
The fight would be a definite money maker for the UFC, especially if they did it in either Jones's or Silva's home town.

If the fight does happen and it'll take a lot for the fight to happen realistically it'd be maybe the Biggest UFC fight ever when you consider the roll that Jones has been on since he started with them, and Anderson Silva himself is a legend in the sport.

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Thats such a copout though.

When was the last good win he had? Probably Shogun, like 4 yrs ago. Calling him a former 205lbs champ doesnt make him any more credible now, its like saying "Tim Sylvia would be a threat to JDS b/c hes a former champ". Griffin couldnt even defend the belt, either. Not like hes ever been an elite fighter.

How is that even a lateral comparison? I said that Forrest is a former champion. Nothing about him being a threat to anybody. With your comparison that is like saying Rashad sucks cause he couldn't defend the title. Which would then say that Rampage sucks cause he lost it to Forrest cause Forrest is such a bum. That Randy Couture is no good cause he couldn't properly defend the belt. This list could go on and on if you want to take that route. But as far as notable wins you say only Shogun? He won the belt AFTER his fight with Shogun when he beat Rampage. He also won against Rich Franklin which is no slouch and is a very talented fighter with very good hands. And that was February of this year. So you want a notable win for Forrest... a recent one? There you go. Forrest a bum? No. Is he the most talented? No. Nobody said that bu he guy can fight, be brings the fight. He just got out struck by Anderson which pretty much happens to everyone that fights Anderson.

My point is that hes already made weight and is comfortable there too.

It isnt a valid excuse, hes won twice @ 205.

He fought there and once twice in 08 and 09. One of those fights is against Travis Lutter. So because he had success there he should move up to that weight division instead of sticking where he is comfortable at? Instead of staying where he is CHAMPION! He's not the light heavyweight champion, he isn't a contender in that division, he is the current undisputed middleweight champion. He is NOT a staple of the light heavyweight champion. By your logic again... lets move BJ Penn up to middleweight. Why? He fought there before. He's won twice against two different Gracies. So lets move BJ back up cause he's won. NO it is not that simple. That is the point I am trying to make. A guy can't be like... oh I think I'm gonna start fighting in a heavier weight class today. It takes prep work that takes quite a while to do. I mean you got other guys in other divisions that are built for heavier weight classes but fight where they are cause that is what their body is accustomed to. Why else do you think he only fought there twice and not spent his career there? He is a natural middleweight fighter... not light heavyweight fighter. That is not saying that he can't fight there cause he can... but to say that oh he is using a cop out and is just avoiding competition by not moving up is ludicrous.

Wut?

This is about Anderson moving up, not cutting weight.

That is throwing a comparison to show that it is not easy to move up and down weight at will. Anderson is not getting any younger so if he were to make a move in weight class that would more than likely remain as his weight class. He is the middleweight champion. What more does he have to prove? And with my comparison I was saying Hendo was dominant at middleweight but he decided to move up in weight class. You don't see him looking to drop weight class just for one fight and move back up. No he's staying. Anderson gets injured, hes getting older... he can't just flip a switch and move up to Light Heavyweight on a whim. Its a lateral comparison with time, age, and health. And what is better for their body overall. You can't just move weight that quickly for one fight cause it takes its toll.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
The fight would be a definite money maker for the UFC, especially if they did it in either Jones's or Silva's home town.

If the fight does happen and it'll take a lot for the fight to happen realistically it'd be maybe the Biggest UFC fight ever when you consider the roll that Jones has been on since he started with them, and Anderson Silva himself is a legend in the sport.

They could easily pack a stadium for this fight especially if both continue their winning ways and add another three title defences each. They have such similar builds as well so it is like Silva is facing the next generation version of himself.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Yeah at the press conference for Ufc on Fox2 Dana White said he wanted to try and do shows in bigger venues such as Football Stadiums and what not within the next year, I think I'd pay whatever it would take to see this fight live if it's in driving distance lol

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
If they have a strong enough card I am sure UFC will be able to draw 35k, 40k and maybe even 50k to some events.

It is like how they drew 40k in Canada thanks to GSP headlining it. If they book the hometown champion against a top contender then it should sell out fast.