UFC 176 cancelled

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
http://espn.go.com/mma/story/_/id/1...e-aldo-forces-cancellation-all-ufc-176-fights

The UFC has canceled a UFC 176 pay-per-view event scheduled to take place on Aug. 2 in Los Angeles, due to a non-severe neck injury to headliner Jose Aldo.

A featherweight title bout between Aldo and Chad Mendes has been postponed, most likely to October, according to UFC CEO Lorenzo Fertitta.

Last week, Aldo (24-1) withdrew from his scheduled title defense against Mendes due to injury. UFC president Dana White quickly announced the featherweight title-holder would not be out long and the bout would most likely be rescheduled.

Aldo defeated Mendes (16-1) via first-round TKO in his third title defense in January 2012. Mendes has gone 5-0 since the loss, including four knockouts.

The UFC released the following statement on the cancellation: "The featherweight championship between Aldo and Mendes is expected to take place later this year and all other fights slated on UFC 176 are being rescheduled for upcoming cards."

The cancellation marks just the second time in the company's history it's been forced to scrap an event. In September 2012, UFC 151 in Las Vegas was canceled when Dan Henderson suffered an injury days ahead of a title fight against Jon Jones.

Female bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey appeared to be a potential fill-in to headline UFC 176, but is unavailable due to medical reasons.

Rousey (10-0) defeated Alexis Davis via TKO in 16 seconds at UFC 175 last weekend but revealed she was dealing with pre-existing injuries to her right knee and hand. The Nevada State Athletic Commission medically suspended Rousey after the bout.

A previously announced UFC 177 pay-per-view event on Aug. 30 in Sacramento will continue to be called UFC 177, according to UFC officials.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
My interest in UFC cards headlined by midgets cancelled along time ago tbh.

Nothing headlined by Aldo would've made UFC any real money anyways, better off cancelling the show, hell cancel a few more. The reason they are in such a predicament is because they stretched their roster sooooooo fucking thin, it makes alternates almost an impossibility.

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
The last show that Aldo/Mendes headlined did decent. Shoot the only fight I was interested in was Souza cause I wanted to see him tap someone out. Figured Aldo would beat Mendes again.

but yeah this is UFC fault. Running a show a week. sometimes 2 shows in one week.

Kiffy Lube

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Has UFC ever cancelled a PPV like this? I can easily see them burnin' out there top talent too quickly the way they run shows.

But this is show business so they should know "THE SHOW MUST GO ON." I'd think Dana White would subscribe to that philosophy.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Has UFC ever cancelled a PPV like this? I can easily see them burnin' out there top talent too quickly the way they run shows.

But this is show business so they should know "THE SHOW MUST GO ON." I'd think Dana White would subscribe to that philosophy.
Yess, they have. When Hendo hurt his knee and Jon Jones wouldn't take on Sonnen on a weeks notice.

If I was Zuffa, here's what I'd do.

A PPV every two, maybe three months. Fox sports event in between those months, and maybe a Fox card every five months.

About 6 PPVs with 3 marquee matchups with 12 fighters with some name value on the main card.

8 Fox Sports cards headlined with the lower weight classes and the guys you are looking to push and pad their record towards title contention.

2 BIG Fox cards headlined by your biggest draws, because that's when you will get your peak interests, put undercards full of strikers and guys who deliver good fights and then your PPVs will spike because of the interest of those two big cards on Network TV.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Thank god this happened, maybe the upcoming cards will be watchable now.

Throw everything on the Lawler vs Brown undercard.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler