UFC 158: GSP vs Diaz

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

TheOneKnownAsFetter

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole
Hendricks/Condit was a awesome fight, and I can't wait to see the rematch between the two.

GSP/Diaz was just pure wrestling domination by Rush. Diaz spent a good portion of the fight with his hands down. Honestly though for all the people that say they didn't do much standing; 11-13 minutes of the 25 minutes was standing up and Diaz still was eating hard jabs most the night.

Big Red Jericho Punk

Reaction score
Pretty crazy night, obviously show picked up after first 2 fights.

Ellenberger really stepped up, thought Mardquardt was going to come back with a bang. Ellenberger always comes out hot, but he actually finished the job.

I don't want to go on a rant here or anything, but I just don't understand how people don't like Carlos Condit more. Other than Nick Diaz fight from last year, name me one boring Condit fight. You really can't, the guy goes out there and puts on great performances. Obviously the wrestling needs to be improved big time. Last two fights that has been his downfall. Still excellent performance by him, but Johnny won that clearly. 29-28 was the right call and Hendricks rightfully gets his title shot.

I'm pretty sold on him as a contender, but still not sure about his cardio. i know he had the hand issue, but he seems fatigued in the last round while Condit being the cardio machine that he is kept working and looking for the knockout.

I was pulling hard for Diaz, but I have no defense for him. Just a disaster and how he came out flat was just head scratching. He's now becoming the Brett Farve of MMA with all this retirement crap. Not wanting to face someone like Condit or Ellenberger next is an insult to the sport. He's 29 but acts like a 36 year old talking about not wanting to fight the young guys. He's a complete wreck, I've lost interest in defending him at this point.

St. Pierre does what he always does. Still funny how he says he's going to give Diaz the worst beating of his life and barley left a few marks on him. The whole main event was just pretty lackluster all around. GSP never looked like he was going to finish Diaz and that was really disappointing. I'm hoping Hendricks can challenge him, which he should but obviously he's a heavy underdog. Also would like to see GSP not fight in Canada and see him fight in Vegas or somewhere else. Actually fight in a neutral area already.

Thank god for Condit-Hendricks, so far easily the fight of the year. Still got a long way to go, but that was a really special fight that made Hendricks a legit contender beating someone like Condit. Also nice for people to recognize how talented Condit is once again.

Embrace Thou Maryse

Reaction score
Helping Maryse practice her French Kiss...
Favorite Wrestler
maryse
Favorite Wrestler
therock4
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar2
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Condit impresses me most with how easily he throws kicks out there. Makes them look effortless, like he's just throwing another punch. But he always seems to be fighting fighters that I'm a big fan of as of late (Diaz, Hendricks) Hendricks especially I really wanted to win so maybe his haters would have to finally admit he's a top tier WW but they still seem to on the Ellenburger can crusher war wagon.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Hendricks wasn't really impressive at all.

Swinging like a drunk for hail mary shots, then getting outstruck from mount? He basically looked like Leonard Garcia with wrestling chops.

I would of gave it to Condit, because takedowns shouldn't count for anything if you don't do anything to take advantage. Hendricks landed some of the sloppiest looking TD's I've ever seen then got totally outstruck from an advantagous position.

With how one dimensional he looked I think GSP will maul him and could prol tap him late on.

Embrace Thou Maryse

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
maryse
Favorite Wrestler
therock4
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar2
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
GSP cant finish his dinner let alone another fighter.

So takedowns don't count then getting takendown should count? In that part of the fight the takedowns and Condys ground game cancelled each other out and wild swings or not Hendricks largely controlled the fight on the feet. Cant believe people are making up a robberey when there's a real robbery on the card that benefitted a Canadian in Canada surprise surprise...

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
I watched this card... pretty good. Ellenberger brought the fight and that was rather entertaining.

Hendricks/Condit was without a doubt the fight of the night. I was pullin for Hendricks and he showed why he can be a contender. Just don't think he'd stand too much of a chance against GSP though.

But that GSP/Diaz fight. Started puttin me to sleep. There wasn't much to catch other than takedown after takedown. So... wasn't like I was missing anything ya know.

Andrew

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
Favorite Wrestler
princedevitt
Favorite Wrestler
sethrollins
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
johncena2
Favorite Wrestler
ricochet
Watched the event at a pub, mind you it's St. Patrick's Day here so a lot of Irish people who love their UFC so it was all good, loud crowd and such.

Hendricks was impressive and I gave it MOTN.

GSP/Diaz was kinda boring but I enjoyed it for Diaz's taunt.

Nerotheory

Reaction score
Condit is a top tier welterweight with great skills and looked like a killer. Things is takedown defense has always been a problem with good wrestlers but he usually is more active from his back and gets up almost always. Hendricks proved tonight that hes ready for his time to be now and i think can give GSP a good challange like Condit did.

GSP and Diaz was what i knew it would be. 5 rounds of GSP doing nothing but dry humping Diaz.

monkeystyle

Reaction score
So takedowns don't count then getting takendown should count? In that part of the fight the takedowns and Condys ground game cancelled each other out and wild swings or not Hendricks largely controlled the fight on the feet.

I think what he's saying is that sure, Hendricks pretty much took Condit down at will, but Condit did more being taken down than Hendricks did to him on top. There's a lot of weight given to take downs when it comes to scoring and it gets kind of lopsided in fights like this where the take down is extremely effective but has no follow up.

It was a really close fight and a Hendricks win wasn't a robbery. I had it for Condit but I think it was close enough that I can see 29-28 either way.

On GSP vs Hendricks: that's going to be an ugly fight. GSP is just on a higher level than anyone else at welterweight. Their fight probably ends up playing out a lot like GSP/Koscheck did with GSP working the jab most of the fight.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Very happy that GSP easily defeated Diaz, Diaz was shown that he is way out of his depth against GSP and he didn't deserve that title shot. No surprise that he was whining like a child after the fight and talking about retirement, too gutless to go through with it though. Impressive that Hendricks beat Condit, guess he gets his title shot now but I can't see him doing anything against GSP. Nice finish by Ellenberger to defeat Marquardt.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
GSP and Diaz was what i knew it would be. 5 rounds of GSP doing nothing but dry humping Diaz.

What fight were you watching? It's these types of "analysis" that bug me. That and people saying GSP can't finish a grape let alone a fight, like this is some sort of scrub league where the fighters are out of shape, looking for a check losers or something. This is the premier fight league in the sport. Everybody is tough on top.

Johnny Hendricks couldn't put down Condit, does that mean he can't finish a fight anymore? Seriously.

monkeystyle

Reaction score
What fight were you watching? It's these types of "analysis" that bug me. That and people saying GSP can't finish a grape let alone a fight, like this is some sort of scrub league where the fighters are out of shape, looking for a check losers or something. This is the premier fight league in the sport. Everybody is tough on top.

Personally I love me some good, old, irrational GSP hate. Makes me love it all the more when the FightMetric stats show up (FightMetric: St-Pierre vs. Diaz Official UFC Statistics) and show that GSP outstruck Diaz almost 3 to 1.

Embrace Thou Maryse

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
maryse
Favorite Wrestler
therock4
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar2
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
6 decisions in a row, Fitch has been finished, Koscheck has been finished, etc. GSP's opponents aren't unfinishable fighters, GSP is just a decision fighter, there's no point in denying that. Not once did GSP throw a punch, kick, whatever that had the intent to finish Diaz despite controlling 90% of the fight.

monkeystyle

Reaction score
6 decisions in a row, Fitch has been finished, Koscheck has been finished, etc. GSP's opponents aren't unfinishable fighters, GSP is just a decision fighter, there's no point in denying that. Not once did GSP throw a punch, kick, whatever that had the intent to finish Diaz despite controlling 90% of the fight.

This is a stupid argument.

Benson Henderson has 6 decisions in a row, nobody is calling him a decision fighter. Every single one of Demetrious Johnson's fights in the UFC have gone to a decision. 5 out of 6 of Dominick Cruz's fights have ended in decision. 3 out of 5 for Renan Barao. 3 out of 4 for Jose Also since moving to the UFC.

Now if we could only draw some kind of trend from this... oh wait, we can.

Now look at middleweight and above. Tons of finishes from their champions right? It's almost as if the higher weight classes have guys with more weight and therefore potential power behind their punches which means more finishes via strikes

Let's take an even closer look now at that trend.

All of the champions at WW and below were major finishers at some point but something changed when they came to the UFC and started winning via decision on a regular basis. Hmm, wonder what that could be. Could it be that they were just trying to play it safe? Nope, that's a stupid answer. Could it be that the UFC generally has a higher level of fighter that's going to be harder to finish? Bingo.

Why use logic though when blind ignorance is more fun right?

By the way. Nick Diaz hasn't been finished in well over 10 years and the only reason that GSP doesn't have a finish over Koscheck in the 2nd fight is because the cageside doctor was an idiot. That fight should have been stopped at the end of the 2nd round.

We Are Legion

║▌║█║▌||| ║▌║▌█ ║█║║▌||
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler