UFC 144 (from Saitama, Japan) Discussion Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Dolph'sZiggler

Biggest self-mark since Bret Hart
Reaction score
UFC_144_poster_large.jpg

http://videos.sapo.pt/OUOBWVyIaG7vr3QrR75z <--- Countdown to UFC 144
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSh9-9YQ9YU&feature=player_embedded <----- Pre fight press conference

[size=x-large]LIVE ON PAY PER VIEW[/size]
[size=x-large]SATURDAY FEBRUARY 25 10:00 EASTERN STANDARD TIME[/size]

[align=LEFT]

Main Card (PPV):
155: Frankie Edgar (C) () vs. Ben Henderson ()
205: Ryan Bader () vs. Quinton "Rampage" Jackson ()
Heavyweight: Cheick Kongo () vs. Mark Hunt ()
170: Yoshihiro Akiyama () vs. Jake Shields ()
185: Tim Boetsch () vs. Yushin Okami ()
145: Hatsu Hioki () and Bart Palaszewski ()
155: Joe Lauzon () vs. Anthony Pettis ()

FX Prelims (Facebook or UFC.tv for international viewers):
155: Takanori Gomi () vs. Eiji Mitsuoka ()
135: Vaughan Lee () vs. Norifumi "Kid" Yamamoto ()
170: Steve Cantwell () vs. Riki Fukuda ()
135: Chris Cariaso () vs. Takeya Mizugaki ()

My outlook: The atmosphere is going to be great in Japan, especially with the influx of Japanese fighters on the card. MMA was probably the single most popular sport in Japan during Pride's heyday. The Main Card features a handful of intriguing fights. The lightweight title fight promises to be entertaining, but I sadly can't see Hendo getting the job done, but I'll be rooting for him.

Rampage Jackson, who was my favorite fighter when I first started getting into MMA, is probably the most popular fighter in Japan. He unsuccessfully challenged UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Jon Jones in his last fight in September 2011. There have been rumors that this may be his last fight, but I hope it will not be. He is on record as saying he is indifferent when it comes to winning the fight (yea right) and he just wants to put on a show for the Japanese fans. His opponent Ryan Bader was undefeated in MMA before suffering back to back losses to Jon Jones and Tito Ortiz. He bounced back with a knockout win against Jason Britz in his last fight. Both men are good wrestlers, both are very big for the LHW division, and both contain knockout power in their hands. I expect the wrestling ability to offset and this one will be decided on the feet, where hopefully my man Rampage can score a knockout victory, but Bader does have a good chin, having never been knocked out.

Mark Hunt against Cheick Kongo is another fight that I don't think will see much time on the mat. Kongo is currently the 10th ranked HW fighter in the world, and has a background in kick boxing. He is a training partner of Rampage, and hasn't been defeated since 2009 when he was choked out by Frank Mir. Kongo's weakness has always been on the ground, but don't look for that to factor in as he takes on world class kickboxer Mark Hunt, another extremely popular fighter in Japan from his time spent with Pride Fighting Championship as well as K-1. His 7-7 MMA record is quite pedestrian at face value, but his level of competition has been elite, and the vast majority of his losses are via submission, which shouldn't come into play against Kongo as I fully expect this to be a glorified kick boxing match seeing as both men have impressive professional kickboxing records. I think this will be a 3 round slug fest that will be decided on the scorecards, with Kongo probably getting the victory.

The last fight I'm really looking forward to features Yoshihiro 'Sexyama' against former Strikeforce middleweight champion Jake Shields. Sexyama is coming off of 3 straight defeats, but the last two were against world class fighters Vitor Belfort and Michael Bisbing. Shields is on a 2 fight skid of his own, also against world class fighters in Jake Ellengberger and some dude named Georges St. Pierre. Sexyama is moving to welterweight after fighting most of his career at 185. If he loses this fight, there is a very realistic chance he could be cut by the UFC, while a victory could put him in line for a chance to move up the Welterweight Ladder. Shields had fought his way to the top of the ladder through his impressive stint in Strikeforce followed by his impressive debut victory in the UFC against Martin 'Hitman' Kampman. Both men are excellent grapplers, and I expect there to be a certain desperation factor due to the recent losing streaks that should breed an excellent fight. 3 of Akiyama's last 4 fights have been named the Fight of the Night, and this one has the chance to make it 4 out of 5.

[/align]

Dolph'sZiggler

Reaction score
That sucks man, I know you've been getting into the sport recently. When are you going to get your shit together computer wise?

Crayo

The Boss
Reaction score
Website
wweforums.net
Urm March 1st, around that time is when I get paid so I'll be buying a new one then.

Will just have to youtube it or something but I never find the time :mad:. Be sure to post spoilers and stuff so I can read afterwards :).

Dolph'sZiggler

Reaction score
Hopefully Seabs and others will join me ITT to discuss it as the fights happen, and I'll do a write up afterwards just for you

seabs

Walking the King’s Road
Reaction score
I'll watch it just for you Ziggles. Also if you want Crayo I'll get you a DL when you get your pc sorted. Would put it on Youtube but they're dicks with copyright,

Dolph'sZiggler

Reaction score
We had a pretty good group of guys for the Diaz/Condit fight last month iirc. This crowd is going to be hot, and I know wrestling fans love a hot crowd so urrbody better watch!

Dolph'sZiggler

Reaction score
He put it as a header last time I believe

Dolph'sZiggler

Reaction score
Spike premiered an awesome new MMA show last night. See episode 1 of MMA Uncensored here: http://www.spike.com/full-episodes/2needm/mma-uncensored-live-diaz-hendo-and-the-fall-of-pride-season-1-ep-101

There is an interview with Nick Diaz, and an amazing story about the downfall of the greatest MMA organization of all time, Pride, at large part due to the Japanese Mafia. I implore you all to check it out

seabs

Walking the King’s Road
Reaction score
He didn't say much but ummm tbh. I agree they should make it legal to smoke weed in MMA as he had a card which permitted it as medical.

Dolph'sZiggler

Reaction score
seabs said:
Nick really looks out of it in that interview so far.

There seemed to be a delay in their connection + Nick hates media because he has social anxiety out the ass.. but I'm sure he was high as well