UFC 141: Lesnar VS Overeem

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
Favorite Wrestler
princedevitt
Favorite Wrestler
sethrollins
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
johncena2
Favorite Wrestler
ricochet
Wrestlemania is currently 3rd Trending on Twitter.

Ben

Reaction score
Dana just seems pissed, loosing his cash cow can't be a good feeling.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Thanks for the link Ben.

Seems like Lesnar kept this to himself and didn't give any indication that he would be leaving.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Yeah Dana didn't seem too happy about it at all, can't blame the guy but you also can't blame lesnar.

Ben

Reaction score
Well Dana said he still under contract but didn't know how long it was.

See them letting him do what he wants though and not holding him back from going to the WWE, at least that's how Dana made it seem.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
If he doesn't want to fight anymore then he can't make him fight. I am sure there will be a payout and maybe Dana will ask Lesnar to stay around for a bit to promote UFC for a bit longer.

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Got home from Buffalos and wow. I mean I left right after the fight happened cause I was real real tired so I didn't see the retirement announcement until I turne don ESPN and it was on the scrollbar. I was like WHAT! I'll get to Lesnar/Overeem later.

prelims... zzzzzz. Man I literally bout fell asleep.

first fight bout knocked me out. Actually I didn't get up until the Fitch fight cause that's when you heard the collected BOOM! and OHHHhhH!

The Diaz fight... dang. Cowboy brought it but Diaz's jab couldn't be stopped. Diaz earned that victory.

Okay that was quick... lesnar/overeem

For those saying Lesnar got in there with one foot practically out the door... no. To say that is to not give Overeem enough credit. The guy is the K-1 grand prix champion. Overeem is THE BEST striker in UFC today. Not second not third... THE BEST! Lesnar is not a striker... period. So seeing a guy that can't strike go against a guy that can outstrike anyone... yeah its gonna look real lopsided like the guy wasn't trying. But that isn't Lesnar's style. Lesnar is gonna try to prove himself which is what he has been trying to do ever since hie debut is prove that he belongs. So I wouldn't say Lesnar walked in with a foot out the door. His approach was awful but he probably thought if he would have bullrushed him he would have met a knee to the chin... and if that happened it would have been all over. Lesnar should have went for more takedowns but... he didn't. He did fight hard but... he was outmatched against Overeem.

As far as retirement... I'm willing to think it is legit. He is finally healthy but the game is surpassed him. He can't strike well enough to stick in there. All he has is his wrestling and if he can't get the guy down... he is going to lose. The Cain fight he couldn't keep Cain down and lost. And this fight... well you know what happened. In the Carwin fight he couldn't keep him down at first and got blasted and nearly finished. And now we have a slew of more heavyweights coming in from Strikeforce. Lesnar can't compete. So it would be in his best interest to leave. He already accomplished plenty. He is a former UFC Heavyweight champion with a successful title defense. What more does he need to do?

Now the future match up between Overeem and dos Santos... I think we are about to enter the Overeem era.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
LAS VEGAS – Johny Hendricks, Nate Diaz and Donald Cerrone each earned $75,000 fight-night bonuses for their performances at Friday's UFC 141 event.

Hendricks earned the night's "Knockout of the Night" award, and Diaz and Cerrone earned "Fight of the Night" honors. No "Submission of the Night" bonus was awarded since no fight qualified.

MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps | MMAjunkie.com) learned of the bonus winners and award amounts at UFC 141's post-fight press conference.

UFC 141 took place at Las Vegas' MGM Grand Garden Arena. The night's main card aired on pay-per-view, and portions of the preliminary card streamed on Facebook and aired on Spike TV.

Hendricks earned his award following a 12-second victory over perennial welterweight contender Jon Fitch in a main-card bout. A solid left hook sealed the deal for the surging 170-pounder.

Diaz and Cerrone, meanwhile, fought in the night's co-headliner and the biggest grudge match of the night. After bad blood throughout the week, Diaz jumped out to an early lead with crisp and overwhelming striking. Cerrone mixed in some solid kicks, but he couldn't overcome Diaz's frequency of strikes. Diaz ultimately earned a clear-cut unanimous-decision victory.

MMAJunkie.com

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Alistair Overeem: $385,714.28 (includes $121,428.57 win bonus)
def. Brock Lesnar: $400,000

Nate Diaz: $74,000 (includes $37,000 win bonus)
def. Donald Cerrone: $30,000

Johny Hendricks: $52,000 (includes $26,000 win bonus)
def. Jon Fitch: $60,000

Alexander Gustafsson: $32,000 (includes $16,000 win bonus)
def. Vladimir Matyushenko: $40,000

Jim Hettes: $16,000 (includes $8,000 win bonus)
def. Nam Phan: $8,000

Ross Pearson: $40,000 (includes $20,000 win bonus)
def. Junior Assuncao: $8,000

Danny Castillo: $38,000 (includes $19,000 win bonus)
def. Anthony Njokuani: $12,000

Dong Hyun Kim: $82,000 (includes $41,000 win bonus)
def. Sean Pierson: $8,000

Jacob Volkmann: $32,000 (includes $16,000 win bonus)
def. Efrain Escudero: $10,000

Diego Nunes: $24,000 (includes $12,000 win bonus)
def. Manny Gamburyan: $18,000

Brock still got a pretty big check.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Crazy how the pay he got is almost as much as every other fighter on the card below the main event got combined.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
That Jim Hettes guy looked fucking awesome, future 155lbs champ right there.

Damn Hendricks costing everyone their hard earned vbookie cash!

Got pissed off at Cowboy, I know Diaz is legit on the ground, but why the hell didnt Cerrone capitalise on his leg kicks ffs?

Main event went pretty much the way everyone thought it would, if Brock didnt get it to the floor then obvs Ubereem would cripple him and make him turtle up. Nasty ass body kick though.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Cerrone probably lost all thought process while Diaz was pounding the fuck out of his head lol. He did need to try something though.

Crippler

Prove me wrong
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
[video=youtube;9ILcyyGdKcw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ILcyyGdKcw&feature=g-all-f&context=G243f02aFAAAAAAAADAA[/video]

Heisenberg

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
antoniocesaro
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
princedevitt
Favorite Wrestler
sethrollins
Dana White Speaks on Lesnar's UFC Status & WWE Possibility
During a post-UFC 141 press conference, Dana White was asked by the media whether or not Brock Lesnar is free to go to the "other company," to which White responded by saying that Lesnar was retiring under contract to UFC. White added that Lesnar will remain under contract to UFC unless both him and Lesnar can come up with some type of agreement which will release him from UFC.

When asked whether or not Brock can wrestle again, White noted, "we will have to figure that out." For more on the Brock Lesnar situation and all the fallout from last night's UFC PPV, be sure to check out Sherdog.com.

Wonder how long that'll take.

Deuce

Reaction score
I loved the show, laughed when Lesnar retired. No idea what is going through the guy's head, maybe he isn't legit about this. Overeem destroyed him though so I don't see why he would want to stay in the UFC after that embarrassment.

Status
Not open for further replies.