UFC 137: GSP VS Condit

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Ben

Reaction score

UFC 137 will be LIVE! Saturday, October 29th, 2011 from The Mandalay Bay Events Centre, in Las Vegas, Nevada
UFC_137_Poster_2.jpg

Main Event:

Welterweight Championship: Georges St-Pierre (22-2)(c) vs Carlos Condit (27-5)

Main Card:

170lbs: BJ Penn (16-7-2) vs Nick Diaz (25-7)
265lbs: Mirko Cro-Cop (27-9-2-1) vs Roy Nelson (15-6)
265lbs: Matt Mitrione (5-0) vs Cheick Kongo (16-6-2)
145lbs: Hatsu Hioki (24-4-2) vs George Roop (12-7-1)

Preliminary Card(Airing on Spike TV):

155lbs: Donald Cerrone (16-3-0-1) vs Dennis Siver (19-7)
145lbs: Tyson Griffin (15-5) vs Bart Palaszewski (35-14)

Preliminary Card(Airing on Facebook):

155lbs: Ramsey Nijem (4-2) vs Danny Downes (8-2)
205lbs: Brandon Vera (11-5-0-1) vs Elliot Marshall (10-3)
135lbs: Scott Jorgensen (12-4) vs Pat Curran (32-13-1)
185lbs: Brad Tavares (7-1) vs Tim Credeur (12-4)
October is a busy month for UFC, 136 is stacked and so is this card. Used to be a big GSP backer, but his play it safe fight style has just turned me away from backing the guy. Think Diaz can beat him, and I don't see the fight going the distance. Diaz is going to come in hard, and go for either a KO or a Sub. In the process he might get KO himself, but GSP isn't going to be able to sit and jab his way to a win.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
I'm so torn here i love both GSP and Diaz but i can't go against GSP not when his title is on the line, either way it'll be a sick fight i've also got BJ Penn and "Big Country" Roy Nelson picking up wins.

Aaron Rodgers

Reaction score
Cool to see you using that poster for this thread, I talk to the guy who made it on deviantart, real cool dude.

Real great card, can't wait for GSP/Diaz and BJ/Condit should be fun to watch too, I'm a big Condit fan but if I was a betting man I'd back BJ.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Sam Stout (17-6-1 MMA, 6-5 UFC) has pulled out of his UFC 137 bout with Dennis Siver (19-7 MMA, 8-4 UFC). At this time, the reason for his withdrawal from the bout is not known. Stout is mourning the recent death of his brother-in-law and longtime trainer Shawn Tompkins​. UFC 137 takes place Oct. 29 at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas

This sucks, i was looking forward to his fight with Dennis Siver

Donald Cerrone will be stepping in for Sam Stout and will fight Dennis Siver at the October UFC 137 event. This will be his fourth fight in 2011.

LLCoolJoel

Reaction score
I love that fight. It sort of forces Donald to face stronger competition. I believe has the tool to be a major threat in a massively stacked division. It isn't the best of circumstances surrounding it but i believe this fight has the potential to be a very exciting stand up war.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Tickets for the UFC's October return to Sin City go on sale next week.

UFC 137 takes place Oct. 29 at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, and in the pay-per-view headliner, UFC welterweight champ Georges St-Pierre (22-2 MMA, 16-2 UFC) takes on ex-Strikeforce champ Nick Diaz (25-7 MMA, 6-4 UFC).

Tickets go on sale to the general public on Friday, Sept. 9, at 1 p.m. ET (10 a.m. PT local time).

However, pre-sale periods are set for UFC Fight Club members (Wednesday, Sept. 7, at 1 p.m. ET) and UFC.com e-newsletter subscribers (Thursday, Sept. 8, at 1 p.m. ET).

In addition to the headliner, which resulted from Diaz vacating his Strikeforce title to rejoin the UFC for the first time in five years, UFC 137 features a welterweight co-headliner of Carlos Condit (27-5 MMA, 4-1 UFC) vs. B.J. Penn (16-7-2 MMA, 12-6-2 UFC).

As MMAjunkie.com recently reported, the event also will have a two-fight "UFC Prelims" broadcast on Spike TV, and the remaining preliminary-card fights are expected to stream on Facebook.

The latest UFC 137 card includes:

• Champ Georges St-Pierre vs. Nick Diaz (for UFC welterweight title)
  • Carlos Condit vs. B.J. Penn
  • Cheick Kongo vs. Matt Mitrione
  • Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic vs. Roy Nelson
  • Dennis Siver vs. Donald Cerrone
  • Hatsu Hioki vs. George Roop
  • Eliot Marshall vs. Brandon Vera
  • Tyson Griffin vs. Bart Palaszewski
  • Tim Credeur vs. Brad Tavares
  • Jeff Curran vs. Scott Jorgensen
  • Danny Downes vs. Ramsey Nijem

Ben

Reaction score
Rumored that winner of Condit/Penn gets the next 175 title shot, really don't want to see either guy fight GSP so meh. Cro Crop/Nelson should be a interesting fight, Big Country has lost a few pounds in training and is suppose to be in "better" shape going into the fight.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
LAS VEGAS – Carlos Condit (27-5 MMA, 4-1 UFC) has replaced Nick Diaz (25-7 MMA, 6-4 UFC) and now fights UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre (22-2 MMA, 16-2 UFC) at next month's UFC 137 event.

At a press conference in Las Vegas, UFC president Dana White today announced the news, citing difficulties in getting Diaz to show up for scheduled media events this week.

"He looked me right in my face and lied to me and told me he'd do [the promotional commitments]," said White, who played a video promoting Condit as Diaz's replacement. "Nick Diaz can't handle the pressure of a major main event. ... That's what I think."

UFC 137 takes place Oct. 29 at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas. The night's main card, including St-Pierre vs. Condit, airs on pay-per-view.

Condit was scheduled to fight B.J. Penn in the co-headliner of UFC 137. That fight obviously has been scrapped, and White said he'll need to talk to Penn about a possible next fight.

White expressed his disgust and disappointment with Diaz, who no-showed Tuesday's press conference in Toronto and today's presser in Vegas. Diaz left Strikeforce and vacated his welterweight bout to re-sign with the UFC, where he hasn't fought in five years, for the opportunity to fight St-Pierre.

"I've had my reservations about this kid," White said. "Nick Diaz has lost his opportunity at the welterweight championship, and Carlos Condit has gotten it."

White told MMAJunkie.com that he's not sure if Diaz will get future fights in the UFC, so he hasn't counted out the possibility he'll still fight in the UFC. Regardless, White said Condit, the WEC's final 170-pound champ, clearly wanted the opportunity against St-Pierre.

"When we called Carlos, he started crying and had to call us back 15 minutes later because he was so happy," White said.

Condit enters the fight on a four-fight win streak (all in the UFC) and with 12 wins in his past 13 fights. His only loss during the streak came via close split decision to Martin Kampmann during his 2009 octagon debut. His past three wins have all come via stoppage, the past two in "Knockout of the Night" performances against Dan Hardy and Dong Hyun Kim.

St-Pierre, while pleased to have an opponent and fighting Condit, is nonetheless baffled by Diaz's no-show.

"I just don't understand how someone doesn't show up for an opportunity like this," St-Pierre said of Diaz. "I just can't believe it. It's amazing."

MMAJunkie.com

I don't know why the guy had to be a prick, i was looking forward to his fight with GSP.

Also what happens with Penn now? i was looking forward to seeing him fight as well.

Ben

Reaction score
Really sucks as it was the best fight for Diaz. I understand Dana wants him there for the promo stuff, but should of just said screw it and just make sure he was there for the fight. Condit is coming off a long lay off and GSP is going to roll him easy.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Yeah Dana takes these things so personal, it's understandable but it still kinda messed up an incredible mainevent fight. I'm sure it will still be good with Condit, but like you said GSP is gonna roll him easy.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Well there goes a fight I was looking forward to a lot. Diaz is one of my favorite MMA fighters and quite interested to see how he'd do against a huge name like GSP. Not really surprised by the guy having a bad attitude though.

LLCoolJoel

Reaction score
I can understand where Dana is coming from. Media commitments are as important as the fights to the sponsors and higher ups. Diaz has been around the major scene for around 8 years now. He should know and do what is acted of him by now.

There was absolutely no reason why he basically flipped off the awaiting media who advertise the PPV off the back of their access to the fighters.

I also found this video. I think he is REALLY starting to lose his grasp on reality.

[video=youtube;qpqkqpH3U-k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpqkqpH3U-k&feature=player_embedded[/video]

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Shortly after he booted Nick Diaz from a title fight with UFC welterweight champ Georges St-Pierre, UFC president Dana White told MMAJunkie.tom that reporters would "flip out" if they knew whom he was putting opposite B.J. Penn, whose original opponent Carlos Condit was promoted to meet St-Pierre.

And considering the past 48 hours, White is not too far off the mark.

The UFC president today tweeted that Diaz (25-7 MMA, 6-4 UFC) has been re-booked to meet Penn (16-7-2 MMA, 12-6-2 UFC) in the co-main event of UFC 137, which takes place on Oct. 29 at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas.

Diaz lost the opportunity to fight St-Pierre when he no-showed two press conferences in support of the fall event including one Wednesday in Las Vegas, where White announced his decision to give Condit the fight.

"I'm still blown away by this thing," White told MMAjunkie.com. "I've got to take a couple of days and figure this thing out."

On Wednesday, White said he hadn't decided whether to cut Diaz in light of his misbehavior but said this week's episode had been costly to the UFC.

As the announcement of the replacement main event took place, Diaz's manager Cesar Gracie told MMAjunkie.com that the fighter "got what he deserved" but was unsure on whether the UFC had cut him.

The answer is now clear as day.

Diaz this past June signed a new contract with the UFC that gave him the fight with St-Pierre and relieved him of his duties as Strikeforce welterweight champion. It also put the kibosh on a professional boxing career, which he had been within an inch of pursuing before Zuffa came calling.

In a video released after his ouster, Diaz showed little remorse for missing the Las Vegas press conference other than to say he was sorry for missing the "beauty pageant."

Diaz brings a 10-fight win streak into the fight that included three defenses of his Strikeforce belt. This past April, he dispatched Paul Daley at "Strikeforce: Diaz vs. Daley" in an action-packed slugfest that piqued White's interest in signing him.

Penn, meanwhile, returns to action for the first time since a disappointing draw with Jon Fitch at UFC 127.

Still would've perfered a GSP/Diaz fight but atleast Penn isn't without a fight now.

Ben

Reaction score
Card is still solid and Penn/Diaz actually seems like a really interesting fight, looking forward to this still even with all the changes.

LLCoolJoel

Reaction score
I think the card is still the same awesome card it was. It's just that now Georges has a legit opponent to fight (for those Diaz fans ;).