Two Types of Main Eventers

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

xtremebadass

Reaction score
Reading the other thread about the Rock being one of the best wrestlers ever made me think. Now I looked back at all the WWE main event stars and classified them into two groups. The first group is the stand out main stream media superstars. They are the most infamous names in professional wrestling and out, however they aren't the world's greatest wrestlers. That is where the second group comes in. The second group is the main event stars who don't really reach out to the main stream media and all that, but they are the best of the best. The great wrestlers are the ones who don't get much outside of the professional wrestling business. It breaks down like this...

Main Stream Media Main Event Stars in and out of the World of Pro-Wrestling:

The Rock
John Cena
Hulk Hogan
Steve Austin
Goldberg
Batista
Mick Foley

Main Event Stars Inside the World or Professional Wrestling:

Shawn Michaels
Triple H
Ric Flair
Undertaker
Chris Jericho
Eddie Guerrero
Kurt Angle
Bret Hart

Agree? Disagree? Any other names I missed?

Reaction score
Ric Flair belongs in the first group, no doubt. The man did well in his bid for mayor of Charlotte, fans of the Hornets always "Whoo" every time Chris Paul hits a free throw and the "Nature Boy" is a household name, not to mention he is basically a god all over the Carolinas. He's not a media darling like a Rock, but he is certainly more known outside of wrestling than Mick Foley, despite Foley's success as an author, which is all his outside fame comes from and 90% of his books are wrestling books bought by wrestling fans. I'd switch Flair and Foley.

EDIT: What the fuck is Batista doing on the first list? What the fuck has he done? He isn't more known than almost anyone on the bottom list. I can't think of any media appearances Tista has made besides that Telemundo show he did.

seX-Power

Reaction score
The only thing I can think of for Batista is him appearing on Smallville once.

btman

Reaction score
Jericho's trying to be famous out of WWE..

Played a part in Albino Farm (shitty ass movie unfortunately for y2j)

And is in Fozzy which has a great live following, just not a CD selling, radio playing following.

Reaction score
Chris Jericho has also done a lot of spots for VH1 specials. I enjoy those goofy shows and it's cool to see a wrestler give his insight. Jericho knows his rock music.

MizMasta3000

Reaction score
Yeah he's been in the music scene the past few years (He hosted the Heavy Metal series on Vh1)

noumenon

Reaction score
Jericho is actually quite well known outside of WWE. He did a great job of getting his name out there in various media outlets during his time off from wrestling.
Let's face it though, when you talk to a non wrestling fan there are only a handful of people they can name... Stone Cold, The Rock and Hulk Hogan being the three main ones. Mostly because they have done so much outside of wrestling or have carried the business on their back at one time or another.

Reaction score
^^^As much as he'd like to be, Triple H isn't a mainstream name. I've asked people I know who don't watch wrestling and they mostly thought HHH was an acronym for Hungry Horny Homo, at least that was one humorous answer provided.

MizMasta3000

Reaction score
Ok maybe not just movies lol

Comercials

His commercial appearances include ads in May 2006 for Miller Lite in which he debates "Man Laws" with the likes of Burt Reynolds, Eddie Griffin and Jerome Bettis. That same month, he also appeared in a commercial for USA Network with Anthony Michael Hall, which cross-promoted Raw and Hall's show, The Dead Zone. Hall's character, a psychic, touches Triple H while he lounges beside a pool and has a vision of him falling asleep in the sun, and fellow wrestler John Cena slapping Triple H's sunburned back and leaving a handprint. He has also appeared in commercials for bodybuilding supplements such as Stacker 2 and YJ Stinger. Levesque also appeared in a Wendy's commercial holding up a Triple Classic Burger calling it the "Triple H Burger".

Film

Levesque appeared in the movie, Blade: Trinity, as a vampire enforcer named Jarko Grimwood.

Television appearances

Levesque appeared in an episode of the USA Network series Pacific Blue on August 9, 1998. In December 1998, he did a guest appearance in The Drew Carey Show as the Disciplinarian. He was also featured in the August 14, 2005 episode of MTV's Punk'd in which he was led to believe that he had ruined a wedding by hitting the bride in the face with a door and damaging her nose until Ashton Kutcher and Stacy Keibler showed up. Additionally, his television appearances include guest spots as Triple H on MADtv and Saturday Night Live, and as a character on an episode of The Bernie Mac Show. Levesque also won the WWE edition of The Weakest Link, in which he and Stephanie McMahon were the final two contestants. Levesque has also been a guest announcer for the Mr. Olympia competition. On September 19, 2009 he accompanied Floyd "Money" Mayweather to the ring as he faced off against Juan Manuel Márquez.

straight_edge76

Reaction score
Jericho is easily a name known semi-regularly outside the wrestling buisness. Fozzy has really taken off over the last few years, he is on some of those VH1 shows (Best Week Ever, I Love The 70s/80s/90s etc.) as well as movies and books that he has done.

Flair is also as big of a name in some circles as guys like Cena and Austin. He is a household name, he has dabbled in politics and like Enzo said didn't necessarily do all that bad. Flair is like a god in the Carolina area.

Reaction score
I have a friend in Greensboro, NC, (the site of the first few Starrcades), almost everyone living there knows the Naitch. My sister-in-law lives in Charlotte and actually met him twice and said he's a priss.