Twitch Prime Will Include Ads

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

MildlyUpsetGerbil

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score
The Utah Gun Exchange started a service called UGETube and I plan on supporting them. But they won't get the same amount of traffic YouTube gets simply because they are an outspoken right wing second amendment supporting group. Now while I have ZERO problem with that at all, having such a distinct political philosophy and trying to start a video sharing service for everyone... it creates a problem.
I can't see that being a viable competitor due to those beliefs. Any credible competitor to YouTube needs be 100% neutral on politics and needs to treat its content creators like a spouse. Foster a wild west environment where people don't have to worry about their channel coming under fire for producing content the site controllers don't like. It'd also have to get big names to actually use its platform. If, say, Pewdiepie migrated to a new website, then that'd bring in a lot of new users and quite a bit of buzz. YouTube - if I'm not mistaken - is still costing more money than it makes. It's a Goliath no doubt, but one that could be brought down if a David comes along.

Assuming people notice the David and start making videos for his website, anyways...

If you had twitch prime and an ad was supposed to play, it still counted as if you watched an ad. They got the money anyway. So now they're removing a feature from twitch prime, and making you pay for it with twitch turbo.
I'd stop paying for their crap if I bought prime. Frankly that kind of move is insulting.

Legit Legend

The Artiste
Reaction score
Twitch was already gay in my opinion.. I guess it just got worse... Cause who wants to pay a streamer to subscribe just to use the chat.. But now it's who wants to pay for a feature that was supposed to be "Ad Free" only to still get ads! Screw Twitch no wonder I've left so many times....

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
I can't see that being a viable competitor due to those beliefs. Any credible competitor to YouTube needs be 100% neutral on politics and needs to treat its content creators like a spouse. Foster a wild west environment where people don't have to worry about their channel coming under fire for producing content the site controllers don't like. It'd also have to get big names to actually use its platform. If, say, Pewdiepie migrated to a new website, then that'd bring in a lot of new users and quite a bit of buzz. YouTube - if I'm not mistaken - is still costing more money than it makes. It's a Goliath no doubt, but one that could be brought down if a David comes along.

Assuming people notice the David and start making videos for his website, anyways...

I'd stop paying for their crap if I bought prime. Frankly that kind of move is insulting.

There's no way UGETube can be a viable competitor even without their beliefs. YouTube is just too large and it's going to be near impossible for any video hosting platform to break through. UGETube's politics will just make it more difficult for them. They'll get people who agree with them but the amount of people who are hardcore on the second amendment AND make videos won't be a large enough number to do any good really. Even if YouTube wasn't the size it is, UgeTube would still be hampered by this. It's too odd for a group like them to start a video streaming service.

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
Twitch was already gay in my opinion.. I guess it just got worse... Cause who wants to pay a streamer to subscribe just to use the chat.. But now it's who wants to pay for a feature that was supposed to be "Ad Free" only to still get ads! Screw Twitch no wonder I've left so many times....

So "gay" is a synonym for bad?

Don't take me seriously here, I'm just giving you a hard time.

Jay-Ashley

The War Dog Rebel
Reaction score
So "gay" is a synonym for bad?

Don't take me seriously here, I'm just giving you a hard time.
Yeah, it has been since the birth of the Youtubes. I never understood, why though.

MildlyUpsetGerbil

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score
YouTube is just too large and it's going to be near impossible for any video hosting platform to break through.
I disagree. YouTube has progressively been getting worse, and I'm of the theory that eventually Google is going to turn it into more of a TV network as it moves forward. If enough big YouTubers conspire to move to another website and announce it to the world, I think it's possible that a competitor could gain traction.

I never understood, why [gay is an insult] though.
I consider it a side effect of online hypermasculine personas. These people want to feel tough and portray themselves as tough, which is why "suck my dick/balls" and gay/smurf became such common insults. Anything that degrades someone's masculinity - gays are stereotypically feminine - is a useful insult. You can also see this behavior manifesting whenever there's a woman in the equation. Hypermasculine macho dudes will either be cartoonishly sexist - "Get back in the kitchen!" - or will try everything in their power to impress said woman. The tough guy either puts the woman in her place or wins the woman's heart. If you're familiar with the virgin and the Chad meme, then picture these guys as the virgin pretending to be the Chad.

It also has historically been frowned upon, so it could just be anti-homosexual sentiment. I like my fancy English paper answer more though~

Jay-Ashley

The War Dog Rebel
Reaction score
I consider it a side effect of online hypermasculine personas. These people want to feel tough and portray themselves as tough, which is why "suck my dick/balls" and gay/smurf became such common insults. Anything that degrades someone's masculinity - gays are stereotypically feminine - is a useful insult. You can also see this behavior manifesting whenever there's a woman in the equation. Hypermasculine macho dudes will either be cartoonishly sexist - "Get back in the kitchen!" - or will try everything in their power to impress said woman. The tough guy either puts the woman in her place or wins the woman's heart. If you're familiar with the virgin and the Chad meme, then picture these guys as the virgin pretending to be the Chad.

It also has historically been frowned upon, so it could just be anti-homosexual sentiment. I like my fancy English paper answer more though~
You do realize I was joking, right? I mean, thanks for the explanation and everything, but I kind of already knew why.

• Haha
Reactions: MildlyUpsetGerbil

Solid Snake

Champion
Reaction score
When guys call each other "fags" it is just a moronic thing to do. I view it the same as men calling women "bitches". Both are distasteful and show high levels of immaturity. If you want to do it in your small group of friends have at it, but both uses for these words shouldn't be acceptable on YouTube or Twitch. They degrade people.

I disagree. YouTube has progressively been getting worse, and I'm of the theory that eventually Google is going to turn it into more of a TV network as it moves forward. If enough big YouTubers conspire to move to another website and announce it to the world, I think it's possible that a competitor could gain traction.
I am hoping this happens. Google owns YouTube so the platform would be going up against a lot. They also won't be able to pay what Google pays out the gate so these big YouTube names would have to be willing to take a hit for a while.

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score

Your idea rests on too many assumptions, however. You have to assume that eventually Google is going to do that, something which I have as of yet seen no direct evidence of. Then you have to assume that enough YouTubers will do that, which is also unlikely. This has been something that people have wanted to cause to happen many times over and it doesn't ever happen. Then you assume that another platform will directly benefit, which isn't guaranteed either. As far as we know, if all your previous assumptions happen, the video sharing platform may die out all together. We don't know and that's why I can't agree with you. Too many assumptions.

Google isn't going to turn YouTube into a TV Network. That's just a ridiculous assumption. They have millions of content creators who produce videos at their own expense and all YouTube has to do is sit back and share ad revenue. Since they do not pay any production costs, they don't even have to worry about whether the videos are successful or not because as long as they get a little ad revenue from the video, they've come out in the black. To take a big money making model like that and change it to a completely different model when they are the dominant video sharing website in the world... I can't see how you possibly think they're dumb enough to even consider that.

The problem with a different platform getting any ground is that YouTube is so big that no one right now can pay any sort of ad revenue to the level YouTube can. So there have been many exoduses,but they have all been insignificant to YouTube due to their size.

Over time, YouTube might lose traction and other platforms might gain some, but this is something that is going to take a long time. It's not happening anytime soon.

MildlyUpsetGerbil

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score
these big YouTube names would have to be willing to take a hit for a while.
Which is why said conspiracy is pretty much just a fantasy of mine. It'd take a lot of faith to get big guys to jump ship.

Google isn't going to turn YouTube into a TV Network.
Not literally, hence why I said "more of a" and not just "a". I'm basing this largely off YouTube Red and YouTube TV. Obviously they wouldn't go 100% due to ads from normal YouTube vids. I feel like they wanna place more emphasis on Red in the future.

Your idea rests on too many assumptions, however. You have to assume that eventually Google is going to do that, something which I have as of yet seen no direct evidence of. Then you have to assume that enough YouTubers will do that, which is also unlikely. This has been something that people have wanted to cause to happen many times over and it doesn't ever happen. Then you assume that another platform will directly benefit, which isn't guaranteed either. As far as we know, if all your previous assumptions happen, the video sharing platform may die out all together. We don't know and that's why I can't agree with you. Too many assumptions.
Hence "possible" and not "likely". I doubt it'll happen for the reasons you stated and-

I can't see how you possibly think they're dumb enough to even consider that.
- because I view Google and the future negatively.

Black Wizard

サイバーパンク
Reaction score
My only real knowledge of Twitch/other streaming places comes basically from seeing stuff on Reddit, but you can sort of relate this to Twitch vs Beam/Mixer/whatever Microsoft's streaming platform is called now.

I don't see Youtube being dethroned anytime soon, just like it isn't going to happen with Twitch. Microsoft's streaming platform is not competition to Twitch. It takes more than a couple of people moving over to make a change too. Pretty sure Microsoft paid a few higher profile Twitch people to come to Mixer and it did basically nothing for the site. Pretty sure most of their viewerbase did not follow them over either just because people don't want to do that sort of thing, people want it in one convenient place. That's another reason why things aren't dethroned easy, if people start having to go to four or five different sites to watch different people they aren't going to do it.

Reactions: Solid Snake

Solid Snake

Champion
Reaction score
My only real knowledge of Twitch/other streaming places comes basically from seeing stuff on Reddit, but you can sort of relate this to Twitch vs Beam/Mixer/whatever Microsoft's streaming platform is called now.

I don't see Youtube being dethroned anytime soon, just like it isn't going to happen with Twitch. Microsoft's streaming platform is not competition to Twitch. It takes more than a couple of people moving over to make a change too. Pretty sure Microsoft paid a few higher profile Twitch people to come to Mixer and it did basically nothing for the site. Pretty sure most of their viewerbase did not follow them over either just because people don't want to do that sort of thing, people want it in one convenient place. That's another reason why things aren't dethroned easy, if people start having to go to four or five different sites to watch different people they aren't going to do it.

Pretty much the same reason Facebook is still the leader in social media. People get used to one thing and don't want to change. Even if the change would make them happier, they are still reluctant to do so. You can apply that to anything in life really.